1/48 Hph B-36 SAC Part1

On 7/27/2019 at 8:44 PM, LorenSharp said:

Welcome back! It's time for more exciting adventures in building stupidly big planes. When last we saw our stalwart adventurer,the fuselage had been prepped for priming. Tail turret added and smoothed,

48389703677_2abb29c562_z.jpg

48389550826_88c789e457_z.jpg

Light coat of primer to check for imperfections,only the top spine in  few places really needed anything. The lower seam came out smooth as silk.

48389703647_7d97b0765f_z.jpg

48389564931_4a73d679b7_z.jpg

I did find a small discrepancy in the top turret opening of about 10-12 scale inches too big.It showed up while test fitting the main cabin bulkheads. A piece of the original body part I cutaway and some scrap plastic tor enforce came out like new.

Let that dry for 24 hrs and black base coat for the metallic coat sprayed on. I'll let this dry for 24 hrs before light sanding and adding another coat. I shaded the panels vertically to give the metallic coat some variations. The second coat I'll darken further to mix it up a little.

48389696141_a8f7cc7f56_z.jpg

Inspirational Loren,

I've got the HPH B-52 so I'm learning a lot from your build thread.

What filler are you using to correct the laminate - mine's just a bit chipped here and there on the centreline seam.

I'm looking for filler that's also scribable (if that's a word). What are you using?

Thanks,

Marc.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:27 PM, LorenSharp said:

Spent a long time placing all the P/E bits on the fuselage

48433546807_9d50625ae9_z.jpg

48433547527_ae22d34825_z.jpg

48433548427_aca2efc44f_z.jpg

48433548762_2051ecd769_z.jpg

48433549162_cfc19c10ce_z.jpg

48433402726_cdf7dde8e4_z.jpg

Talk about fiddly bit. But that is nothing compared to...

And one more Loren. What glue are you using for the larger PE bits? Saw an unusual technique on the HPH site below - turn down the volume thought - the music will drive you nuts after five minutes:

The glue I used primarily thru the build was a medium thickness CA glue. Never could get 2 part epoxy to adhere well enough. Biggest help was washing all the parts in regular washing powder(Calcium Carbonate) Dremel is a must as is face masks. Fibreglass  dust is nothing to mess with when inhaling.

12 hours ago, MarcV said:

And one more Loren. What glue are you using for the larger PE bits? Saw an unusual technique on the HPH site below - turn down the volume thought - the music will drive you nuts after five minutes:

Not sure if this will help you but here is another Hph build I did and what I had to do to finish it MarcV. I do know the B-52H kit is more complex and extensive than either one I finally completed.

Thanks Loren,

I saw you Valkerie build a while ago -  it convinced me not to buy it to be honest. Love the aircraft but not sure if I could manage it.

HPH seems to have improved since then - the '52 isn't going to be easy but seems more doable than the XB70.

Marc.

3 hours ago, MarcV said:

Thanks Loren,

I saw you Valkerie build a while ago -  it convinced me not to buy it to be honest. Love the aircraft but not sure if I could manage it.

HPH seems to have improved since then - the '52 isn't going to be easy but seems more doable than the XB70.

Marc.

I'm glad to hear it's better produced.After the B-70 and the B-36 I didn't have it in me to try the B-52H. One was the price,I would have had a hard time affording it. After money conversion and shipping to the US cost would have been about $900US. The other I managed to acquire 3 Sanger B-52's (NB-52A,B-52D,B-52H) They will need a lot of work but easier to handle and adjust to correct. Still haven't figured out where to hang when finished yet but that is for another day. But if I can be of any help give me shout. i'd be happy to assist.

On 8/30/2020 at 3:02 AM, MarcV said:

Inspirational Loren,

I've got the HPH B-52 so I'm learning a lot from your build thread.

What filler are you using to correct the laminate - mine's just a bit chipped here and there on the centreline seam.

I'm looking for filler that's also scribable (if that's a word). What are you using?

Thanks,

Marc.

Sorry I missed this post.I actually used for the most 3M Acryl White spot putty.To fill the divits and funky parts along the seams MIlliput worked wonders and set hard as a rock. Both took to scribing the milliput allowed for sharper lines.

8 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Sorry I missed this post.I actually used for the most 3M Acryl White spot putty.To fill the divits and funky parts along the seams MIlliput worked wonders and set hard as a rock. Both took to scribing the milliput allowed for sharper lines.

Thanks again Loren,

Marc.

• 1 year later...