Hunter FGA9, XG228/56, No. 79 Sqn/1 TWU, RAF Brawdy, July 1982

After a brief hiatus the Hunter is done, and I must say I was very impressed with the Italeri kit. For my standard of modelling I certainly don't need to spend Airfix prices. This was built OOB apart from aftermarket decals, plus I used a spare 1/48 seat from a Canberra kit as the Italeri one is 1/72. I also cut up and expanded the cockpit to accommodate this correct scale seat, and cut the rear fuselage to make it shorter. All detailed in my WIP: 

XG228 was delivered to the RAF in October 1956, and remained in service until 1984, serving with 1 TWU from the early 1970s. It was sold to the Zimbabwe AF in 1987 and now resides in their museum. The 79 squadron Hunters were a familiar sight over Wales and the south of England during the 70s and 80s, training RAF pilots in weapons delivery and tactics.

All comments and suggestions for improvement welcomed! ...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 45

Great looking Hunter  :clap2:As said above the Italeri kit is a re pop of the old Academy kit which suffered from an undersized cockpit and main

undercarriage wheels , you might want to change those to after market as well ?

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2019 at 5:35 PM, Lord Riot said:

spacer.png

I think your Hunter is perfect, what a model! I love the crisp appearance in particular, the above photo really captures the lines perfectly for me. If my Revell 1/32 kit comes out 1/2 as good I'll be very happy, really well done!

David  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Great looking Hunter  :clap2:As said above the Italeri kit is a re pop of the old Academy kit which suffered from an undersized cockpit and main

undercarriage wheels , you might want to change those to after market as well ?

Thanks Keith! I did read about the wheels but they actually look ok to me, any bigger would look a bit odd wouldn't they? The kit ones don't look particularly small anyway. If I ever find an Airfix Hunter for a reasonable price I'll compare them, it might change my mind! 😂

20 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

I think your Hunter is perfect, what a model! I love the crisp appearance in particular, the above photo really captures the lines perfectly for me. If my Revell 1/32 kit comes out 1/2 as good I'll be very happy, really well done!

David  

Thank you so much David, so nice of you to say! I guess with such a beautiful aeroplane it's easier to make it look pleasing on the eye. 

I wondered about dirt wash but most photos of 1 TWU Hunters seemed to show them looking fairly clean, so I only used a small amount. 

Pretty sure yours will look impressive in 1/32! Might have to try that scale one day.

• Like 1

Nice work again. I've read often about how the cockpit is 'too small' in this Academy/Italeri kit, yet as far as I'm concerned, that pit looks great in your model. I shall be tuning in to your Lightning build next.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Filler! The ejection seat is definitely too small, I used a Canberra one, then there was a great WIP by @Karl that showed exactly how to expand the cockpit. Looks tricky at first but if I can manage it then it must be a reasonably simple process. Not sure how exactly to scale my 'pit' is, but it looks ok to me.

• Like 1