(Another) Airfix Sea Fury 1/48

Hi everyone. Although I’m long in the tooth this is my first post on the forum. Up first is my Airfix Sea Fury just completed. 

The kit was built mainly OOB apart from Eduard seatbelts and replacement wheels from Barracudacast. I replaced the pitot tube with brass tube and the u/c door jacks with nickel rod. Like others I spent a lot of time on the cowling - the worst (and really only) difficulty with the kit. I’m pretty selective about after market and I’m too cheap to fork out for the resin cowling upgrade. However the wheels are far better than the kit and avoids a lot of cleaning up of the seams whilst trying to retain the block tread. I dug out a spare gunsight which is missing in the kit but is a prominent feature in the cockpit. 

Paint is Xtracrylics with alclad light sheen varnish to finish. Light weathering with oils over the gloss coat.

Anyway a few photos if I can work out how to post them.

Steve

B6F5D49D-98C7-4CA1-B659-43FDC6AD237F

AFEBBB4C-5B9A-43B4-ACC4-58E49A4D69BC

6BFFF701-6BD6-43D1-AFE2-0BF8D4EF8826

15D30CA1-68F1-48E4-BD83-26D650819BAB

C60C7B50-8CDD-4F6B-8B98-015B3ED16F0D

Edited by Scaleplanes
New photos
  • Like 61
  • Thanks 1

Yes Chris Its a similar shot to the photo of WJ236 on the carrier deck except that's from the starboard quarter and a bit grubbier than mine. I don't suppose you could call the Sea Fury beautiful but its an aggressive looking beast - I love it.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Love it. I was thinking of doing one of these for an ex-FAA pilot who flew these in Korea. He's in a care home with my Father-in-law, and is a fascinating character. No doubt my slow build speed will be too slow. great finish. lovely build.

Admiring Quack.