Scratchbuilt Airspeed Horsa 1/144

We're doing a Market garden 75th group build and after long deliberation I've decided to do a Horsa. I toyed with doing one on my new scale of 1/48, but it's a big beast compared to my usual fare so 1/144 trims it down to a manageable size for building it and for available shelf space.

So off we go. first order of business (after acquiring reasonable plan) is to make some fuselage and wing blanks for molding.

48035176807_31976c3626_z.jpg

Laminated paper for the form and basswood for the main infill, it carves really well and I want a good finish on the mold, also as the plane ism't huge it won't make too big a dent on my stock of wood.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

48044113892_b9bca14641_z.jpg

Darn it's now all in pieces, no wait I meant to do that :) .  Mostly I'm pleased that I managed to split the wing without destroying it. Will be 11 moulded parts in total two of each of the wing panels and one of each of the rest. I think I'll just fabricate the horizontal stabs from sheet stytrene.  Make that 12 as I'll also need to mold a clear fuselage for the windows.

Actually getting fairly complex.  

Lest I forget I need to sand in some rib detail before molding, although I may leave this and add it to the molded parts later, hmmm

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing work and a beautiful glider.

I thought the wooden Model would be the finished item but I see it’s a for for the vac.

very cool work indeed :) 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the kind feedback. These are a few shots I missed :)

48299748957_ef2406cb2d_z.jpg

48299634896_4a07acb1e6_z.jpg

Nose 4th and 5th attempts.  Still torn over whether to use the first one or the final one. More annon

48299748892_b5f0d709ce_z.jpg

Making sure it won't be a tail sitter. My plan was to make  the cockpit floor, seats and bulkhead  out of brass sheet once I realized that you could see squat through the round windows I abandoned my plans to detail the main cabin interior and  added some lead sheet behind the bulkhead just to be sure :) .

48305216102_6295301a04_z.jpg

And finally those troublesome stripes, almost there....

• Like 2

48320427196_0d1d0d0576_z.jpg

48320544967_c92ff80826_z.jpg

48320426726_288f651f63_z.jpg

Nose and undercarrige attached. Just a little filler between the nose and the fuselage some more paint work (nearly have those stripes under control) and some decals and it's finished. Really enjoyed the build so far.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

48402313417_a59b45e3e5_z.jpg

I'm calling this done (although I may fiddle with the stripes a bit more) the astute among you will notice the door and the pitot/antenna as  well as quite a bit of retouching. Pretty pleased with the results. Just need to take some better photos for the RFI thread.

• Like 5

I'm very impressed with the depth you got on the Mk I transparency without any webbing, and the rest of the vacforming is excellent! Nice little model. Now all you need is a 1/72 Albermarle to tow it in a forced perspective diorama!

Regards,

Adrian

Now all you need is a 1/72 Albermarle to tow it in a forced perspective diorama!

Thank you for the feedback.  Yes the molding went extremely well.  To the point that it felt like a commercial vacform, the rib detail on the wings also worked well. I was thinking of a B29 or a  C47 (after the Overstrand, I have plans :) ) but that's an interesting plane....

Edited by Marklo