Airfix 1/48 Lightning F.6

My 4th Lightning, I don't know I just like the kit. Left the pitot removed for easier storage. Detailed the gun openings with drilled out sections of stretched sprue. One drop tank lighter for some variation. Only addition is a resin seat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Michael Taylor
  • Like 33

Hi Michael

Damn, that is one LOVELY Lightning! Got one of these in the stash with a few add-ons (Aires Exhausts, CMK Cockpit and Wheel Wells). Just wish I could get an Aeroclub White Metal Nose Ring - put one on the last one of these I did and it looks great.

Mind you, seeing yours with so little aftermarket just goes to show how good the basic material of this kit really is. One of my favourite 48th scale kits (built 4 so far and the next one will probably be the last).

Thanks for sharing.

Kev

Very nice looking Lightning. Mine stalled out years ago; I think it was something to do with the intake. I may have another go at it shortly

Michael, we likes! :worthy:

Very nice build. I suppose there's an engineering reason for the tanks being installed on top of the wing, i.e., main landing gear strut legs coming in "they're" way and perhaps there was a limit to have installed them under the wings too far from the centre. But how about some saddle tanks ala F-16? That ought to have looked much nicer.

Nice job.  I have the kit in the closet, awaiting my energy to start it. I just ordered some aftermarket for the Airfix Sea Vixen (after years on the shelf, also awaiting my energy...).  So hopefully after the Sea Vixen, my Lightning (my very favorite aircraft of all time) will spring forth.  Awesome job.  Thanks for sharing.

Edited by FAAFAN

That's a stunner.  A great paint finish and a sheen which captures the brute force of the real thing beautifully. 

I sat in this bird once.  I was amazed how much the control panel reminded me of my old MGB!  The next day I nearly got struck by lightning (of a different kind) while filming it for the BBC during one of its fast runs.  An un-forcasted storm approached and the sky went incredibly dark very quickly.  Seconds later the heavens opened in a torrent of rain and flashes of lightning.  I was half way up the runway, standing out like a sore thumb, with a camera on a metal tripod doing my best to act as a lightning conductor.  Thankfully the storm passed very quickly although I got completely soaked (being a dutiful freelancer I had put my Driza-Bone over the camera to protect it from the rain).  Fun though.  I got some very dramatic shots of the two Lightnings with that black sky behind them.  The Lightning is truly awesome when you are 50 feet away and it's in full reheat.  Met Jimmy Dell that day as well, which was a bonus.