'Wonga Bonga' Sopwith Camel F.1 -1:32 Wingnut Wings.

'Wonga Bonga' Sopwith Camel F.1

1:32 Wingnut Wings.

wb1.jpg

The Sopwith Camel hardly needs any introduction, as one of the most successful fighters of the First World War and the mount of may aces.

This is the superb Wingnuts Wings kit 32074 Sopwith F.1 Camel "Clerget", Reviewd here which comes with five different finishing options. It is a difficult choice as they are all so good and I ended up buying another kit as I couldn't decide on just one! In the end I went for this one as it had a natural metal cowl area, varnished ply cockpit area, and the fin with the Sopwith factory markings on, plus the name Wonga Bonga' on the side.

The 'Wonga' refers to the Gotha bombers that apparently made that engine sound 'wonga-wonga-wonga' etc, and the 'Bonga' is the Camel itself, knocking the Gothas out of the sky. It was based at RNAS Manston from July to August 1917.

It is a lovely kit, to the usual exceedingly high standard that Wingnut Wings set. I would not say that it is one of the easier kits to build, the cabane struts are vulnerable to being knocked off during the build, so care is necessary. Fortunately I kept all four of mine intact, and the danger is passed once the top wing is on.

wb2.jpg

wb3.jpg

wb4.jpg

wb5.jpg

wb6.jpg

wb7.jpg

wb8.jpg

wb9.jpg

A few 'In progress' pictures to give some idea of how much interior detail is included. The cabane struts are moulded integrally with the fuselage side frames.

The rigging is stretched sprue. Wooden areas are Griffin Alkyd oil paints over Tamiya 'Deck tan'.

wb10.jpg

wb11.jpg

wb12.jpg

wb13.jpg

This is my second WnW Camel build, and I like this kit so much I still have three more in the stash!

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Hi John,

Another gorgeous WnW model! So crisply finished as usual, I'm always so impressed by how much detail there is too.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Camel they just look right, if you know what I mean? No wonder you've got 5 of them!!

Out of interest how big is the model?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Museum quality build John,I take a sharp intake of breath when I see the price of these kit's but when you see what can be built from them and the time

spent building then it all make's sense.Lovely work all round.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the  kind comments chaps. Much appreciated!

On 09/06/2019 at 21:14, Turbofan said:

Out of interest how big is the model?

Ian, it is not that big.

1) In my hand;

wb14.jpg

2) And against a 1:144 Revell 738;

wb15.jpg

It is quite a small model really!

Cheers

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Viking said:

It is quite a small model really!

Thanks John, that's much smaller than I thought it would be! Makes it all the more impressive!

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

that's much smaller than I thought it would be! Makes it all the more impressive!

Ian

Now there's a statement not often heard.  :rofl2:

Superb job John. 

Chris.