Corsair II JT410

Here is my latest bench blocker, My second Revel FAA Corsair in 1;72 scale. In a break with tradition and against all common decency I have not posted the obligatory sprue shots or any of the decal set or the Eduard Zoom fret, mainly because I didn't take any.

spacer.png

Having built one already I was aware of the immediate action remedy's on the wings, mainly fill the wing tip join gaps, fill the lights on the underside of the port wing and create another light and chop out the wingtip lights. I also fitted the stall vane outboard of the guns on the starboard wing.

spacer.png

The radiators need a bit of shimming to fit nicely...….

spacer.png

The seat got some detail and the armour got some bolts and a new head rest.....Oh and the prop got reworked too.

spacer.png

I made up the two fuselage vents side vents, these get cut down severely, and I gave the cowling a good reaming......

spacer.png

A bit of a rescribe and a shot of primer followed by Zinc chromate and gloss coat then Flory wash...…….

spacer.png

Eduard Zoom...…………..frustrating as hell! This is during the build...………..before the really delicate and quite frankly invisible stuff!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Pilots seat and bulkhead ready to go...……..

spacer.png

The lump all buttoned up...…….

spacer.png

More of the Zoom set, the throttle quadrant was very flimsy, so I filled it with GatorsGrip which worked a treat! 

spacer.png

Parts of the Under Carriage were not great, they were a bit short, so I slid a thin length of brass tube inside another and cut two piston like lengths, using the original parts as a guide, I drilled a hole to accept the thicker end in the UC leg and put a dab of CA there then when I fitted the gear I extended the inner tube and CA`d the other end! That went in the win column! 

spacer.png

There was a bit of "Handbags" on here earlier in the week regarding FAA Corsairs and bombs, I wouldn't let it lie as usual, but it all got sorted, as usual members had all the relevant gen, the upshot is I need a couple of british bomb carriers, I still dont know weather they`ll go on this kite or not yet, it means getting a Swordfish for the relevant parts which will hold up the build...……………….. But there is another Corsair in the stash she`ll be a really late bird !

spacer.png

Radiator doors scribed and a shot of primer...…………… The lights on the starboard wing have been drilled out, they will get acrylic crystal treatment, the new port wing light will get a punched clear plastic lens.

spacer.png

Armoured windscreen primed...………….

spacer.png

Bomb fairings after a scribe...…………...I have seen fots of these missing altogether and the hole plated over, or in place with the fittings for ordnance or tanks covered with the curved fairing as they are now. 

spacer.png

Canopy masked

spacer.png

Here`s the Prop main wheels and the modified tail gear...……. all ready for the next sesh!

Ta for lookin` no "G"

Granto

Edited by Valenstitch
Spelling, spacing and clarification!
  • Like 4

A small Saturday PM update. Here is a quick view of the Office before I have another go at fitting the armoured windscreen and the front half of the canopy, the Zoom set does look nice,but it more than doubles the price of the kit! 

spacer.png

I have added three small boxes to the coaming one either side and one in front of the reflector sight, the Armour glass will mount on the front end of the top one, the armour glass is just visible on the far left of the image sitting on the tape reel! 

spacer.png

It`s certainly the nicest cockpit I`ve ever done!

Ta for lookin` no "G"

Granto

Edited by Valenstitch
Spelling and spacing
  • Like 3

Got the Corsair into the spray booth yesterday evening, shot some primer and gave it a rub down this morning, this afternoon she got another going over. I fitted the fairings without bombs in the end...…….

spacer.png

spacer.png

She came out quite clean...……..

spacer.png

I might even get some preshade on this evening!

Ta for lookin` no "G"

Granto

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Work and stuff have kept me from the shed, but here is a wee update...…..spacer.png

I shot some preshade and then decided to start with the ANA 613 Olive drab, several light coats, this is the first

spacer.png

Slowly does it......

spacer.png

And all of a sudden there I was...……Gunship grey on top, masking off......

spacer.png

All the fots were taken with flash, I have two lines to resolve and a couple of touch ups but I`m quite pleased with the finish at this stage.

spacer.png

I got a nice fuzzy demarcation which shows up in some period images

spacer.png

And my radiators stayed black too!

Ta for lookin` no "G"

Granto

• Like 4

On 6/15/2019 at 2:00 PM, Valenstitch said:

It`s certainly the nicest cockpit I`ve ever done!

And it's certainly one of the nicest I've ever seen in this scale! Coming together really well.

Terry

Friday update,

spacer.png

So after the usual "You love them bloody plastic things more than me" domestic of a Friday evening, I finally got some peace and quiet down the oasis of calm to stick the "Donk" up front! lookin` awl rite now!

spacer.png

So, clear coat tomorrow? Why not!

Ta for lookin` no "G"

PEACE! OUT! DROP THE MIC!

Granto

• Like 2

"Oh and the prop got reworked too."

Lovely Corsair,can I ask what rework you did to the prop please,as I have a couple of these in the stash to do.ta.

Neil

On 7/6/2019 at 8:42 AM, fatalbert said:

"Oh and the prop got reworked too."

Lovely Corsair,can I ask what rework you did to the prop please,as I have a couple of these in the stash to do.ta.

Neil

There are some VERY in-depth discussions on Britmodeller regarding the various shortcomings of the available Corsair kits, but the quality of the information available is staggering! The prop in the Revel kit is a late broad chord prop, they were fitted but further down the serial number range than the aircraft in the kit, it`s all in the threads, however, in essence all I did was to reshape it to an earlier pattern with a sharp blade and a sanding stick, took about fifteen minutes, measured it with a digital gauge for blade width and length and primed it up. I want to do a very late war Mk IV with the blown canopy and broad chord prop with my last one, but no idea when I`ll get around to that!

But here is what I managed today...……………….

spacer.png

Decals on!

spacer.png  

spacer.png

I`m happy with that!

Ta for lookin` no "G"

Granto

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice build.  Like the cockpit, which builds on the good basis provided by the kit parts - this was so nearly a cheaper challenger for the Tamiya kit.  I notice that you assembled a circular cowling with less effort and Mr Surfacer than I needed.  Same thing with the gun inserts.

• Like 1

So, it`s been a good week, I was told on Wednesday that my job will be permanent as of 5th August and I made some progress on this little Baby!spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still got to tidy up the washes, sort the canopy, refit the antenna that fell out the underside, and get some weathering done, then flat coat and unmask...……..But I think I`ve earned that cider!

Ta for lookin` no "G"

Granto 

• Like 7

And we`re almost done, just the pitot to go...………………………..spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

so that was todays pottering ………………..to and fro, bit of this, bit of that, Matt coat done, just the pitot left...………….I`m happy!

Granto

• Like 3

Last post on this WIP, RFI next, other than the end of the Pitot waiting for a drop of natural metal paint JT410 is done!spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

She`s come out alright!

Granto

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Great build, superb finish....................................................................................Whats next?

Roger

I`m not sure Roger, what do you suggest? 

spacer.png

I`ve been scratching my head all afternoon!

Granto