Royal Army armor in Falklands

RAGATIGER

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2019 at 9:30 AM, Rangerboy83 said:

Also the regiment that operated the CVR(T) variants in the Falklands was my lot The Blues and Royals. Few years ago we had a presentation from one of the guys that went out there and from what he said no one in the task force really understood the capability of CVR(T). They thought the vehicles would be to heavy and not able to operate over that terrain but supposedly they worked quite well apart from the odd mine strike. 

The CVR(T) is another of those much maligned pieces of equipment that HM Forces has had, or continues, to operate (much like the SEPECAT Jaguar). I well remember what must have been one of the first operational deployments of the Scorpion to Cyprus following the Greek-Cypriot inspired coup and subsequent Turkish invasion in the summer of 1974. The deployment of very fast Scorpion CVR(T)s, combined with the Gurkhas provided a very powerful psychological message to the numerically superior Turkish forces equipped with M47 and M48 tanks. IIRC there were senior officers who questioned the utility of the light tank but it has gone on to serve in most (if not) all of the trouble spots in which we have found ourselves; the ability to be deployed in C-130s has certainly helped to get it into a theatre of operations pretty quickly.             

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 3:10 PM, Des said:

Although for the Royal Engineers each man or woman is royal.

Officers,Ladies and Gentlemen of the Royal Engineers please 😀

Edited by ivan-o
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 10:09 AM, noelh said:

I remember the original Tamiya box art for the 1/25 Chieftain referred to it as a Royal Army Chieftain. Which confused me at the time. Imagine having one of those in the Falklands? The real thing obviously! 

It would get comprehensively bogged down the moment is moved off a metalled road in Falkland terrain (which is either mountain or peat bog for large stretches) and in 1982 there were no metalled roads outside Stanley.  I was in Fearless in 1982, and even our BARV came very close to being left behind because it got stuck, and that wonderful monster never went further than the beach.

• Like 2