Royal Army armor in Falklands

RAGATIGER

Hi there

i wonder if there is decals for the Royal Army armor in Falklands war or they were no marking

Best modeling

Armando

Firstly, for various political reasons, there's no such thing as the Royal Army. There's the Royal Navy, the Royal Air Force, the Royal Marines and the plain old British Army. For reasons, as I said.

As for British armour in the Falklands, a bit of online searching shows that there wasn't much of it - 4 Scimitars and 4 Scorpions, nary a real tank to be seen (not surprising, given the logistics involved) . A bit of googling around will get you photos of them, and will also point you towards a Bison Decals set that covers the Falklands conflict. You may still be able to get it, but the couple of listings that I found show it out of stock. You'll also find a number of threads on other forums about your topic, with all sorts of information available.

Good luck.

• Like 4

Don't forget the Samson recovery vehicle.

Good reply about the Royal bit as that is a bit of a pet peeve of mine but I can easily understand how confusing it looks from the outside. Like you say, the Navy is Royal, the Airforce is Royal so why wouldn't people expect the Army to be Royal?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

We were all Royal individually by regiment, Royal Signals, Royal Engineers etc, unless, of course, you were in the Army Air Corps.🚁

Poor budgies eh ;)

Certa Citrus  

• Haha 3

The 'politics' behind the Army not being Royal go all the way back to the restoration of Charles II in 1660, when a 'new' army was created to replace Cromwell's forces. Parliament did not trust the king with an army, so its establishment was authorised by Parliament itself. This was codified in 1689, when the Mutiny Act was passed. This act required annual Parliamentary re-authorisation of the Army's very existence, a situation that persisted until the final passage of the act in 1879. The Navy. on the other hand, already existed prior to the restoration, and was unlikely to be a threat to the population if the monarch tried to use it 'dictatorially', so it remained Royal

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Theres a great site called Scorpion Minitures. It carrys backdate sets for the Scorpion and Scimiter as well as falklands conversion sets. It also has some nice photo's and info. According to that site, all the markings were painted out after the vehicles left Ascension Island.

https://www.scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk/

And as mentioned, we don't have a Royal Army. We are Loyal but not Royal.

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

We were all Royal individually by regiment, Royal Signals, Royal Engineers etc, unless, of course, you were in the Army Air Corps.🚁

Or the green slime...

• Like 1

Also the regiment that operated the CVR(T) variants in the Falklands was my lot The Blues and Royals. Few years ago we had a presentation from one of the guys that went out there and from what he said no one in the task force really understood the capability of CVR(T). They thought the vehicles would be to heavy and not able to operate over that terrain but supposedly they worked quite well apart from the odd mine strike. 

Not really, just artillery and A/A pieces. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

They did use LVTP's for the invasion but these were withdrawn after that.  Even the AML's were confined to Stanley as there were no roads beyond a couple of miles either way.  They commandeered many of the civilian vehicles from the town and tractors from the farmers.  Here's a view of some Argie transport:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 2

Interesting! I wonder what's towing that AA gun - an M35 or M54?

As far as the vehicles go, in 1/35 Takom and TigerHobbies do the AML-90, Italeri do the Dodge Ambulance whilst AFV Club do the M35 and M54. For 1/72, ACE do the AML-90, Academy do the Dodge and M35, no M54 AFAIK. The UNIMOG's are a bit trickier - as far as I'm aware no one's has done that particular version (426 I think?) in either scale. Haven't got a clue about the Ford!

Mike.

10 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Interesting! I wonder what's towing that AA gun - an M35 or M54?

I believe it was this one.

spacer.png

The Ford looked to be the typical type to be found on US airbases in the 1970's

Mike

• Like 2

Nice pics bootneck. That first British one is a CET, not a CVR(t). Didn't realise they were down there, but makes sense given the pics of CVR(t)'s dug in.

• Like 1

Hi there

Well the thing that those are wonderful photos but you missing that as we been modeller the implicit question if you have the identities of the vehicles or serials and markings or photos showing the actual markings

O wonder if someone had made a 1/35 decal sheet what do you think is missing?

Best modelling 

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER
forgot to mention the scale of the models

For the Unimog if your prepared to do a bit of modification of diecasts and are not a strict rivet counter you can make them in 1/48th-ish and 1/35th-ish. 

The 1/32 Weise Toys Unimog  https://www.weise-toys.de/27x12x0.xhtml

Or 1/50 Solido diecast Unimog 416 https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Truck-MERCEDES-Unimog-416-Reel-Automobile-Lights-of-Drills-SDI-78-1-60/1638710613?iid=263551025915&rt=nc

Here is a pair I have modified into Rhodesian soft top Unimogs

1/35th http://www.newrhodesian.ca/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2843&start=170

1/48 http://www.newrhodesian.ca/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7955

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the original Tamiya box art for the 1/25 Chieftain referred to it as a Royal Army Chieftain. Which confused me at the time. Imagine having one of those in the Falklands? The real thing obviously! 

Hi Noelh,

There is a book called " The Fireflies of Port Stanley " by Marc H Jones it's fiction but could you imagine what the Argies would have thought of they had met them when they invaded the Falkland islands !

• Like 2

On 6/9/2019 at 4:20 PM, Bullbasket said:

Although for the Royal Engineers each man or woman is royal.

• Like 1