• 2 weeks later...

Next phase of the Jug - first adding all the ducting and engine supports. None of this will be seen, but does give good positive structure to the fuselage

spacer.png

spacer.png

Engine mounted, cockpit added and fitted to a fueslage half

spacer.png

Fitted the fuselage halves together

spacer.png

Needed a bit of filler on the joint

spacer.png

But sanded back and rescribed

spacer.png

spacer.png

Work then commenced on the port wing

spacer.png

spacer.png

Peter

• Like 7

Peter,

I was looking at your P-47D build, even though it's definitely not my scale, and it is looking very good, but there was something about the cockpit photos you posted that didn't look quite right. I might be wrong, but I think the gunsight that Trumpeter supplied is a Mark 14 gyro gunsight. From the written sources I have read, only P-47D-40's, P-47M's, and P-47N's were fitted with that sight. The sight fitted in the earlier variants was the N-3 and later on the Mk VIII; many D's had their sights replaced with the RAF Mk III. Late in the war when more K-14's became available, they were fitted to 8th AF P-47D's. That being said, it seems unlikely, but not impossible for a razorback Thunderbolt to have been upgraded with a K-14 sight. If you have a photo of the one you are modeling, that should help you confirm  this. Does the Trumpeter kit come with more than one gunsight? I have only seen photos of bubbletop late P-47D's/M's/N's with the K-14, but there certainly is that possibility. Just wanted  to make you aware. (With eight .50cal guns boresighted for 300 feet, you really don't even need a gunsight!)

Mike

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Peter,

I was looking at your P-47D build, even though it's definitely not my scale, and it is looking very good, but there was something about the cockpit photos you posted that didn't look quite right. I might be wrong, but I think the gunsight that Trumpeter supplied is a Mark 14 gyro gunsight. From the written sources I have read, only P-47D-40's, P-47M's, and P-47N's were fitted with that sight. The sight fitted in the earlier variants was the N-3 and later on the Mk VIII; many D's had their sights replaced with the RAF Mk III. Late in the war when more K-14's became available, they were fitted to 8th AF P-47D's. That being said, it seems unlikely, but not impossible for a razorback Thunderbolt to have been upgraded with a K-14 sight. If you have a photo of the one you are modeling, that should help you confirm  this. Does the Trumpeter kit come with more than one gunsight? I have only seen photos of bubbletop late P-47D's/M's/N's with the K-14, but there certainly is that possibility. Just wanted  to make you aware. (With eight .50cal guns boresighted for 300 feet, you really don't even need a gunsight!)

Mike

You get 2 sights, but no indication of which one to use. Went with that one because I liked the look of it. As it's mid/late 44 based in Corsica I see no reason it hasn't had a retrofit, anyway I like it 🙂

The only picture I have seen of a K-14 fitted on a razorback was from ...... Hollywood.

n8zGH48.jpg

A 1953 movie. Not sure if the pilot could aim at anything with the gunsight being installed so high.

K-14s began to arrive in the summer of 1944 in England, being tested with the 4th and 357th fighter groups, IIRC, and I think it is very unlikely some made their way to Corsica in that time frame.

Anyways, you are doing a splendid job on that kit.

Cheers,

Laurent

Well today has been a tough day. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.

First lost the lower part of the starboard Aileron, then while looking for it, knocked my brush box off the desk, and spilt my drink over the floor. While cleaning up the mess managed to stab a finger with a pair of tweezers. Finally my paint rack decided that being attached to the wall was optional, and scattered tamiya paints all over the floor.

Anyway, I did manage to make some progress on the starboard wing, by scratch building a replacement Aileron. Unfortunately the photo the primer is still a bit wet, so it's hiding the scribing and riveting but the starboard wing is done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also in some surprising plain sailing, got the stabalisers and rudder fitted

spacer.png

Peter

• Like 3

Bit more done today - first cleaned up the primer on the replacement aileron

spacer.png

Joined the wings to the fuselage

P1000574.JPG

Sprayed the cowling ready to mask off the red stripe at the nose

P1000575.JPG

Fitted the cowling - looks more juggy now

P1000576.JPG

Then spraying the Yellow ZC for the wheel wells and flap cells

P1000577.JPG

And onto the flaps again in prep for masking off

P1000578.JPG

At which point I dropped a bottle of Extra thin on the floor, which made the atmosphere in the shed somewhat heady, so i've left it for the day now.

Peter

• Like 5

Got the Olive Drab sprayed on today, followed by a gloss coat (to prep for all the masking still to come) The camera and the artificial light have washed out some of the contrast, but the effect of the preshading is still visible.

P1000588.JPG

P1000589.JPG

That has to fully cure now before I can start masking - first up will be the Yellow theatre bands and the serial numbers on the fin.

Peter

• Like 3

I really like what I'm seeing here with this build Peter. I was looking at the pictures of the pit and it looks fantastic! Maybe the only thing that you could do would be to match the seatbelts to the worn interior by dirty them up a tad but that's merely a friendly suggestion. Lots to learn in this thread.