Airfix 1/72 Nimrod R1

Right oh here goes I'm building this as a gift to be given to my father in law who worked on this aircraft XW664. I am not a proficient aircraft modeler the perfect finishes scare me, but I'll give it my best shot.

I'm planning to build out of the box part from I have an extra decal set the horizontal stabiliser needs re shaping and I've seen that the canopy doesn't fit very well so I might look into that.

Any how here goes a stormy Saturday morning let the fun commence, i think this is the bigest model I've attempted.

20190608_065800

20190608_070010

20190608_072033

20190608_083625

Dave

• Like 10

I'm in Dave - it's a nice kit and, after my attempt, I'd suggest you build it OOB and ignore the smallish issues (intakes and windscreen shape) - the corrections don't add that much to the overall look IMHO and certainly make the build less enjoyable!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm in Dave - it's a nice kit and, after my attempt, I'd suggest you build it OOB and ignore the smallish issues (intakes and windscreen shape) - the corrections don't add that much to the overall look IMHO and certainly make the build less enjoyable!

Thanks I'm not bothered about the intakes from what I've seen the replacements aren't much better the only bit that I think notices is the horizontal stab. shape which I think is easily sorted.

Dave

• Like 2

Good luck with your build, but IMHO I would replace the windscreens and the nose wheels plus the wheel guards. When was your father in law on 51 Sqn, as I was on the Sqn from Nov 81 to Jul 87?

• Like 1

Me too and I heartily concur with Ced about accepting the kit's issues, especially if this is the first kit of this size you have attempted. I shall be doing so when I come to build mine.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Thanks folks it's going together quicker than I thought, I had to grind out a little plastic to get the jet nozzles to fit and not push the wing halves apart apart from that it is going pretty well I think. I super glued  some lead into the nose 30g the instructions say 20g so I over estimated. 

I did infact build a fully detailed interior and popped it in before gluing it all up but for obvious reasons I'm not allowed to show it.😉

20190609_091727

20190609_093216

Dave

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 13/06/2019 at 19:07, PhantomBigStu said:

Got a watcher, I'm currently stuck in a sanding loop with my R1 build 

I know that feeling there are lots of fit issues but I'm getting to the point of just accepting them. I have fitted the original canopy with a little manipulation (and being let down by allycat) next job is masking.

• Like 2