D.H. Mosquito FB.Mk.VI

Running alongside my Halifax build, I am about to start construction of Airfix's 1:72 De Havilland Mosquito FB.Mk.VI. I am pretty excited about this build because I have thought for a while what a striking aircraft Mosquitoes were. This will be a straight from the box build, with the exception of using Vallejo acrylics (my preferred acrylics at the mo). I am going to build the aircraft with gear up on a home made stand, in the colours of A52-520, 'NA.B' of 1 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force. IMG_20190605_165900_zpsapzjip9w.jpg

On opening the box however, I was slightly disappointed. Lots of flash, not a great amount of detailing and not great moulding, I have worked with worse, but I'm hoping it turns out alright.IMG_20190605_170012_zpscemg9wra.jpg

IMG_20190605_170050_zpsloianuoz.jpg

IMG_20190605_165926_zpsmhixk84z.jpg

Let the sanding begin!

• Like 10

Hi Shellie,

This Airfix kit is a reissue, and not representative of their new tools. It is still a very nice kit to build and when finished produced a very good replica of the Mosquito. If you want a well detailed kit I would suggest the Tamiya versions which are very nice but a lot more expensive. 

I look forward to your progress on this one.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in, can't beat a Mossie build (except perhaps mine which is suffering at present). Will be nice to see one in silver dope finish instead of a camouflage finish.

Roger 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bombercommand said:

But beware the undercarriage is a bit fiddley

Hi Shellie, it is as @bombercommand says but there is a way to handle the U/C that prevents most of the hassles that people experience with them, I've detailed it in this build thread from about 2 years ago, sing out if thats not clear.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Shellie, it is as @bombercommand says but there is a way to handle the U/C that prevents most of the hassles that people experience with them, I've detailed it in this build thread from about 2 years ago, sing out if thats not clear.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, luckily I'm planning on building it undercarriage up as it will be displayed flying, I'm going to take a gander at your build thread though as it all helps. Thanks again,

Michelle.

• Like 1

Managed to get a fair bit done on the build at various times yesterday. The night before I airbrushed the fuselage interior, flooring, seats and instruments. For this I used Vallejo cockpit green, black and finally hand painted some details in.IMG_20190607_220832_zpshuycdqpn.jpg

IMG_20190607_220857_zps4gzppv20.jpg

Then yesterday I began hand painting my pilots and assembling the cockpit interior. It went together really well, I had to sand off a fair bit of flash, but got there in the end.IMG_20190608_214933_zpsb0fjzpoe.jpg

IMG_20190608_214853_zps7cq67lyh.jpg

With everything secure, I did a quick dry fit placing the cockpit between the fuselage halves, then went for it with glue. I am really hoping I can get the fuselage halves together nicely, and removie any visible seam, as aluminium acrylics are very unforgiving.

• Like 15

With the interior finished, I attempted to dry fit it into the fuselage halves. It took a lot of fiddling around, but eventually I felt happy enough to add the glue and go for broke. I left the taped up fuselage over night, and have been stealing moments to sand away the seam. This is my least favourite job, but I need it as smooth as possible ready for that aluminium top coat.IMG_20190613_221147_zps08suvi9n.jpg

So far I am happy with how it looks.

• Like 9

On 08/06/2019 at 20:24, bombercommand said:

Issued by Airfix in1972, look beyond the faults and it's not bad and you won't get anything cheaper. But beware the undercarriage is a bit fiddley

So last night I encountered my first really obvious problem with the 1972 mouldings, namely that the undercarriage doors do not fit properly when fitted closed. After a lot of swearing and attempts, I finally secured them in place with tape and left them to dry overnight.IMG_20190616_101204_zps7qmkkfrj.jpg

This morning I have attempted a little sanding and added some filler to the huge gaps, I am hoping I can turn this around. I have also built the wings, which I am relieved to say was slightly less taxing.

IMG_20190616_101152_zpsmpbx8b9p.jpg

• Like 7

Quick build update, having done as much sanding as possible to the undercarriage doors, I finally secured them to the wings. Once these were dry I attempted several dry fits of the wings to the fuselage. Here the older kit rears its ugly head again. The plastic tab on the wings, which fits into the fuselage was tiny on both wings. This meant there was little to hold the wing in place! However, with a little persistence I added the glue and went for it. She is now drying in the cupboard.

IMG_20190618_214935_zpsbeyak0x8.jpg

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 5

On 16/06/2019 at 03:18, Shelliecool said:

After a lot of swearing and attempts, I finally secured them in place with tape and left them to dry overnight.IMG_20190616_101204_zps7qmkkfrj.jpg

I was swearing, just remembering trying to get those gosh-danged doors closed!

Chris

• Like 3

I have added a little filler to some of the small gaps where the wings met the fuselage, or rather didn't quite meet it. Then I carefully glued the canopy in place, this was tricky as there were no locating pins or lines what so ever! But, I went for it and made sure it was right before pressing it down. Once dry I masked up the glass work, and tonight given it a blast of interior green. IMG_20190623_214328_zpssfi1tlrt.jpg

IMG_20190623_215956_zpsn2hu9fxy.jpg

Next step is to give her a coat of primer.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

With the canopy airbrushed, I gave the build several light coats of Vallejo primer. Once this had dried thoroughly I began airbrushing panel lines onto the aircraft. I am hoping these will mask some of the areas around the undercarriage doors which were effected by the poor fit. IMG_20190630_113447_zpsxhplfxue.jpg

I always  find panel line painting a tense time, purely because it requires lots of concentration. This time however it went well, and the build is now ready for some coats of silver.

• Like 7

Tonight I have given the Mosquito its second light coat of Vallejo Silver acrylic. I have thinned it down a little more than usual, because I find it has quite a thick consistency. So far it has sprayed really well, and settled nice and smooth. IMG_20190704_214425_zpsmxwm3yeu.jpg

• Like 8

Work has continued on the Mosquito, it has been slow progress. I have sealed in the decals, these settled perfectly I am pleased to say. Then I airbrushed the spinners Silver, and the prop tips yellow.resized_8630084f-3e10-4e11-96c0-25a8b616

These are now drying ready for some black.

• Like 4

With the yellow propeller tips dry, I carefully masked them up and gave the props a coat of Vallejo black.

resized_5f0d2699-adf7-4438-8f43-edc8644a

Once they were dry enough I removed the mask, I will assemble them and the spinner before I begin weathering the build.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working more on the Halifax I am building, as I have been masking up the camouflage pattern which takes time. However, I haven't forgotten the mosquito, and have begun weathering the aircraft. For this I mixed up some black and brown to create a dirt wash, which I applied to the build. Once it had dried a little I carefully rubbed off the excess in the direction of airflow.

resized_e87d27f8-e167-4861-8489-866872e3

resized_ff837012-9a56-4bf8-8df8-f50477dc

Almost done.

• Like 11