Handley Page Halifax B Mk.III

With one more light coat of Dark green down, I added a few highlights, and began unmasking the build. I love removing the tape to unveil the painted aircraft, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I will carefully seal it in later with some Quick shine gloss.

resized_3719d660-fd84-4095-9750-f426a586

I then began masking both turrets, and boy did it frustrate me. I started out using tape, but eventually used liquid mask (on the smaller, curved sections). Once the mask was dry I blasted a coat of interior green down in prep for the black and camo coats.

resized_778eda63-77bd-4337-b008-8e46229f

Apologies for the picture quality of the turrets.

• Like 8

Nice variation Shellie :) 

Good tip on the turrets - I think I’ll follow your lead on turret painting for my Whitley. 

• Thanks 1

With the camo all masked up and a spot of Quick shine gloss painted along the edges of tape, I sprayed my first coat of Vallejo NATO Black. This went on well, sprayed cleanly and has settled perfectly.

resized_5615de38-7503-452b-a258-61c707c3

I plan another light coat today, then I will airbrush some highlights before sealing it in.

I have also airbrushed the turrets and gloss varnished them in. My choice of using liquid mask worked well, my only piece of advice would be to be careful when removing the mask. As the area's you want to remain painted are so thin you need to make sure you don't remove them as well, which happens easily. I used a cocktail stick to clean it up, and I'm happy with the results.

resized_71fc7d27-e6db-49f6-9509-05571843

• Like 8

I have airbrushed another light coat of NATO black, and happy with the contrast left it to dry (which it did quickly as it's rather warm again today). I then mixed a little light grey with the black and airbrushed a few highlights on different panel's to look worn. 

resized_65df974f-034f-4ca0-bb47-828082f3

I'm really happy with how she looks😀.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Did someone say Birthday? Welllll Happpy Birthday. May today be happy , joyous, and fulfilling as everyday should be but more so. All the Best!

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Happy Birthday! I'll also add my congrats to the above for the paintwork, that's a lovely finish.

Ian

9 hours ago, CedB said:

… and from me! Hope you have a great day 🎂

11 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice work Shellie, she's coming along nicely B) 

Oh, and happy birthday! :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thank you guys, I am indeed having a lovely day!

Cheers,

Michelle.

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 1

I was very lucky to receive this beast for my birthday from my boys.....

resized_5ad2ead1-873c-4df8-849f-cdc7d1f8

I should add that the first kit I ever built was this exact kit (I love the Vulcan), and have been saying I bet if I made another I could make it a million times better! Well I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating!

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

It is my other half and son Martian, and they are fantastic!

Michelle.

Just mentioned this to Mrs Martian, the bait does not seem to have been taken, nor, I fear, does it seem likely to be.

Martian  👽

• Haha 3

Over the last few nights I have been applying the decals to the Halifax. There aren't loads of them, but some are fairly large. In an effort to eliminate as much silvering as possible I cut around some letters that were grouped together, and cut out the centre's of some. All in all they went on well, I used some micro sol to get them to settle down, and I am pretty happy with the results.

resized_fc4f6116-50a4-40f4-8884-989808fe

resized_1d571a52-35f6-4796-9a2c-c2aa8cce

• Like 15

I have been working on both my builds, but I'm having trouble with village photos, hopefully I will sort it out soon. Anyway, with the decals all bedded in, I sealed them in place with a good coat of Quick shine gloss varnish. I then began work on the undercarriage, building the struts for the wheels. These are very thin so more haste and less speed is needed when removing them from the sprue. That said they have decent locating pins and went together well, they are now drying before I give them a coat of primer.

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Shellie - it's just a shame that the Photobucket 'advert' obscures most of the detail! :(

I'm having real problems with village photos Ced, and my Flickr account is full and won't let me upload any more. I'm hoping I can sort out the village asap.

Thanks,

Michelle

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working away on the Halifax, adding some weathering with a dirt pin wash, and biding the wheels for the undercarriage. Once I had sanded the seam down I airbrushed some primer on the wheels, then sprayed the centre's black. Today I masked the black hubs up and mixed a little black and red to airbrush the rubber tyres.

IMG_20190928_195104

Its hard to see from the photograph but I'm happy with the colour and look of the wheels.

• Like 2