Handley Page Halifax B Mk.III

I have had this next build in my stash for several years, and am finally getting around to putting the thing together. IMG_20190605_170132_zps3nbuptll.jpg

IMG_20190605_170216_zps1ulnclbj.jpg

Chosen out of the stash by my son is Revells 1:72 Halifax Mk.III, this is going to be a straight from the box build with the exception of using Vallejo acrylics in place of the suggested Revell (purely personal preference here). It's a big kit with many sprues, and a choice of 2 colour schemes and decals. IMG_20190605_202849_zpsvz1kzx6q.jpg

The sprues are very clean, no flash to be seen (which is a bonus) and lots of detailing.

IMG_20190605_202724_zps2fwsedyt.jpg

I am planning on building the aircraft in the scheme of 'Oscar,' No.424 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air force, 1944. Let the fun commence.

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice kit Michelle - I'm in for this one too! :) 

Ditto!

I have always fancied this kit, as I built the old Airfix tooling years back.

Cheers Greg 😁

• Like 1

First build update for the Halifax. I have washed and carefully primed most of the smaller components with Vallejo primer, and once dry set to work with some colour. Airbrushing the interior of the fuselage and dividing sections with interior green.IMG_20190610_215541_zpstycjpvsx.jpg

Then airbrushing the floor, instrument panel and other sections with anthracite grey.IMG_20190610_221206_zps9wepbtuz.jpg

Once dry, I can begin to assemble the interior. Slow and steady progress so far.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, John_W said:

Very nice. Always prefer the Halifax with Radial engines and squared off fins, makes it less sleek and more businesslike.

I'm the opposite: in-line engines and pointy fins for me! I've got the Revell Mk.I kit in the stash though so will follow with interest. Can't go wrong with some Handley Page magic.

P.

• Like 2

Yep, in here for that. As Ced said a nice kit. Nice start on that  Be careful with the tricky Revell instruction sheet. Sometimes confusing. Maybe a text marker will be useful at some point. Cheers

• Like 3

With all the interior parts airbrushed, I added detailing to the instruments using the decals provided, and adding my own with white acrylic and a cocktail stick. Once dry I began assembling the cockpit and navigation areas. This was fairly easy, the instructions are detailed (overly in places), and Revell have ensured plenty of locating pins and lines.IMG_20190614_222348_zps9jm1iux9.jpg

IMG_20190614_222353_zpsritmqysl.jpg

I then attempt to dry fit the interior into the fuselage half, the wing struts however were extremely tight in the fuselage slots, so tight I could hardly remove the interior. A lot of sanding later I carefully glued the interior into the half. Coming along nicely.

• Like 11

That is looking great, Michelle. The only thing is the war-time Halifaxes didn't have a seat for the flight engineer behind the pilot. Not that too many people would know the difference, even if they got close enough to see it through the canopy.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Time had come to join the fuselage halves. Always a nail biting moment, however, with a little persuasion the halves fitted together pretty well! I have since added a little Mr.Surfacer to the seam and begun carefully Sanding away the seam. It is now pretty smooth, and I'm fairly happy with the results.IMG_20190619_222546_zpszrcq1iqo.jpg

IMG_20190619_222551_zpsbctrkr9c.jpg

• Like 7

Since my last post I have secured the canopy and glass panels in the top of the fuselage. These went in well, the canopy section fitted in nice and snug and the glass panels slotted in also. 

IMG_20190623_220717_zpsqxhyithp.jpg

I then began building the wheel wells. These are made of 4 pieces, the locating pins are prominent and I had these together in no time.

IMG_20190623_221730_zpsof3opy6r.jpg

Finally I added the panel to the front of the wheel wells. These secure to the thin pieces protruding from the well itself. This means the contact points between the 2 pieces are tiny, and therefore fixing them together is a fiddly job requiring patients. Thankfully I managed to get them together and they are now drying.

IMG_20190623_222505_zpse7igizce.jpg

• Like 8

I have been plodding away slowly with the Halifax, yesterday securing the wing halves together. This wasn't as straight forward as I may have liked because you have to make sure the wheel bays fit. For both wings this required a little sanding, but finally I had the wings built. Tonight it was the turn of the nacelles. The outer 2 are relatively easy as you can build them first, and once dry secure in position on the wing. 

IMG_20190627_223721_zpsql6cc4k7.jpg

The inner nacelles however cannot be built and then fixed to the wing, and require building on the wing which means a fiddly job indeed. I placed one half of the nacelles on the wing, then the other hoping I wouldn't get glue all over the wing surface. It went however, better than expected and both are now drying......phew! 

IMG_20190627_223703_zpssft6f2g7.jpg

• Like 9

On 6/24/2019 at 1:54 AM, Shelliecool said:

a fiddly job requiring patients. Thankfully I managed to get them together and they are now drying.

I hope your patients are happy together and recovering well! 🤣

Nice work on the nacelles too.

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have been working hard on the Halifax, a minor issue with Photobucket stopped me uploading anything toy threads. Since my last post I have attached the wings to the fuselage, this went well, only a little sanding was required to achieve a smooth fit. IMG_20190704_215418_zpsqj5wlcka.jpg

I have also built the tailplane, the tail find and rudders will be secured once painted.IMG_20190704_215421_zpsbvbygeiv.jpg

Finally I have faded some Mr.surfacer 1000 to the nacelle seams, and I intend to sand away any visible seam.

• Like 7

I would seriously look into an alternative to Photobucket. They blackmail you into paying, then stick a bloody great watermark across half the pic, so hiding what you are trying to show! 

Ian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I would seriously look into an alternative to Photobucket. They blackmail you into paying, then stick a bloody great watermark across half the pic, so hiding what you are trying to show! 

Ian

Village.Photos is free and fairly easy to use. I keep mine as a backup host to my Flickr account. I do pay a small amount for Flickr ( $35.00 US yearly ) but that's because I have over 1000 images stored there.

https://village.photos/

Chris

• Thanks 1