1/72 C.A. Atkins Fokker D.VIII

This little gem has been in the trunk off doom for 30 years, got it out a month ago.

Build it and see what happens, I don't think it will hold together.

Kit packaging and parts:

DSC4707-1.jpg

DSC4714-1.jpg

DSC4715-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 9

NMF Fokker D.VIII.

This morning started of as a British day, cloudy with plenty of rain about.  I couldn't be bothered sanding the hulls on my S.55, I didn't want to get covered in white muck so I started on this instead and got covered in black muck.

I don't have any reference material  or any idea what scheme this will get.

It is a very nice kit and I wish I had got a few more.

MG-4500-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 4

The tail plane is just sitting there.  As for glue I going to try 5min epoxy for the larger bits.  I haven't cleaned them yet, I've just sanded them.  The dark bits are the remains of the sticky tape from when the kit was packed 30+ years ago.

• Like 1

Ooooh 😀 Glad to have stumbled across this.  I too am very curious to see how such a kit comes together.

Your post has sent me to dig out my white metal kit:

LDM Caudron C.460 1/48

LDM were a contemporary to C.A.Atkins as I understand it.  The parts are lovely, surprisingly fine, straight & true, with an unfamiliar weighty authority!

LDM Caudron C.460 1/48

LDM Caudron C.460 1/48

Now that I’ve reopened the box for the first time in a long while, I found this, which I had forgotten:

LDM Caudron C.460 1/48

LDM Caudron C.460 1/48

... it’s a typed 2x page guide to building a white metal kit which came with it.  If it would help you or others, I’d be happy to scan at the office & post a legible copy...?

• Like 3

On 6/16/2019 at 9:39 PM, StephenCJ said:

START A W.I.P AND BUILD IT... Please

Ha! You shall not lead me astray .. just yet .. my two current parallel projects have been running for 2+yrs (delirious laughter) - I am determined to finish at least one of those first!!

I have today scanned those 2 pages of guidance on how to build white metal kits.  If you (or others?) are interested, send me a PM with your email address & I can send through the PDFs.

• Like 2

I love the DVIII. Now bear in  mind if you are doing it in German colours the wing camoflage is the subject of much debate.  Most schemes show the wings in a uniform dark green, however it would seem that this is not correct and crept in at some stage after the war and the wings should in fact be azure and yellow streaks on the undersurfaces and a a green and purple ones on the upper surfaces. the or 7th post here now if you're doing a Polish machine it's just green.

Even if the streaks are wrong my next DVIII will get the stripes. (I do have one in my stash but it's at least a 2020 build)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

I have undercoated 1/2 the kit, finish the undercoating in the morning.

I would like a copy of these instructions, sent a pm with my email.

I have also bought Arma Hobbies D.VIII to assist with the build.  I also got their Hurricane and 2 PZL models.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ

• 11 months later...