1/72 Dora Wings Savioa-Marchetti S.55

I bought this kit because I liked the red paint scheme and it is a very different aircraft than I normally build.

I have now gone off the red paint scheme and I will look around for something else.

Anyhow the kit's bits and bobs.

DSC4716-1.jpg

DSC4717-1.jpg

DSC4719-1.jpg

DSC4720-1.jpg

DSC4721-1.jpg

DSC4722-1.jpg

DSC4723-1.jpg

DSC4724-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 10

I too have had this one on the Martian radar for a while. I am interested to see how you get on with it.

Curious of Mars 👽

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Beautiful, I have been eyeing this kit up for a while buts its price is keeping me away but such a rare subject...

Buy it, it is only money.  I think the price of kits from Hannants are not too bad and then I convert the price to Australian partial Dollars -AUD- and have a heart attack.

33 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I too have had this one on the Martian radar for a while. I am interested to see how you get on with it.

I think it will be easy to build, as you can see the bits look well moulded.  I think there will be a military version coming too, as there are guns which are not needed for the build.

been cutting some plastic and have found there is plenty of clean up to get the parts to fit.

The bits that I have applied glue to.  Still some cleaning up to do on these parts.

MG-4486-1.jpg

MG-4487-1.jpg

MG-4488-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 7

Hi Stephen!

My finger hovered endlessly above the "buy" button when this one started to appear in catalogues, but I refrained myself since the price is a little steep.

Now I see that Martian wants it, so I may buy all the existent copies and resell them in Mars for a fortune on green slime. Há!

More seriously: I have a fat folder on this type, which is not as simple as it may look, since many mods went one with time and different uses.

Needless to say, I am only interested on the civil variants, of which were very many and colorful ones (NOT the ones used by Balbo, which were a military enterprise).

What in truth made me hesitant about buying the kit is that it offers a very limited range of civil applications, given the configuration of the hulls.

I like the red livery, but I remember having a couple minor nitpickings about some details (can't access files now).

They saw civil service in the US

(link to SEAWINGS forum):

SM55X%203-VIEW.jpg

From Flickr's Kitchener Lord photostream

Savoia Marchetti S.55

Boston-New York on AIR VIA: (again, different hulls)

content

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Of course some Italian airlines used it (Societa Aerea Mediterranea, Linea Aerea Ostia-Cagliari, Aero Espresso Italiana, Ala Littoria), as well as, strangely enough, the Russians.

I confess that I have the utterly despicable Delta 2 kit; furthermore, it was given to me half-assembled.

A kit only a mother would love. If there was no other child in the world. And only if she would be paid a fortune to do so. And under duress.

I have tamed some sea-monsters, but the Delta 2 rendition is I believe beyond redemption.

Since I don't have my files with me, I can't tell if a mere substitution/modification of the hulls would allow Dora Wings to issue a more commonly used civil version.

Or may be a resin after-market entrepreneur with some mod parts? But life is generally not as simple.

Meanwhile, I am glued to the screen to see this build take off from the waves.

Cheers

• Like 2

Moa, I am glad you have found this thread and replied, I did a google images search myself and discovered there were different hulls  Love the pictures you have posted.  I might purchase another and build a true civilian model.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

Moa, I am glad you have found this thread and replied, I did a google images search myself and discovered there were different hulls  Love the pictures you have posted.  I might purchase another and build a true civilian model.

When i can access my files i can send you all i have, in a little while.

But do not get sidetracked 

• Like 1

Meanwhile I found on your images that I-SAAV is catered for on the decal sheet. That was the previous incarnation of the plane that got damaged on a different (and failed) record attempt.

The plane was rescued and rebuilt with modifications from the original.

For what I can see on the Net, Dora Wings includes not just the decals for it, but also a side view in color with the caveat that it requires a different hull.

Since no parts (that I can see) cater in the kit's sprues for that different hull (rounded and higher at the nose top) I am now a bit confused.

Is Dora Wings suggesting that the modeler modify the kit? if so, the info provided is (and that's an understatement) "succinct".

I like this one so much that I get carried away, I hope I am not overcrowding the post, it is just that the prospect of more civil versions potentially squeezed from this mold is exciting.

Cheers

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Moa said:

Of course some Italian airlines used it (Societa Aerea Mediterranea, Linea Aerea Ostia-Cagliari, Aero Espresso Italiana, Ala Littoria), as well as, strangely enough, the Russians.

I confess that I have the utterly despicable Delta 2 kit; furthermore, it was given to me half-assembled.

A kit only a mother would love. If there was no other child in the world. And only if she would be paid a fortune to do so. And under duress.

I have tamed some sea-monsters, but the Delta 2 rendition is I believe beyond redemption.

Since I don't have my files with me, I can't tell if a mere substitution/modification of the hulls would allow Dora Wings to issue a more commonly used civil version.

Or may be a resin after-market entrepreneur with some mod parts? But life is generally not as simple.

Meanwhile, I am glued to the screen to see this build take off from the waves.

Cheers

There were at least 4 (and probably more) hull designs used on the S-55 series. Even Italian sources are very confusing, as the hull type isn't always indicated by the version 'suffix' and there were different hull types used within each denoted version.

Like you, I don't have the kit yet as I was put off by the crazy price (which is at least 30% too high compared to similar products), but it looks like Dora Wings have done a reasonable job of copying the preserved aircraft. But I wouldn't rely on them to get the others right. It depends where they got their info. The Percivals they did are good as they are based on good research, but the Bellancas are c**p and have so many errors I don't know where to start....  

I have the Delta S-55X and I don't think it's that bad. It's the best of the kits they issued and is certainly better than a vacform. I've seen fairly good models made from it. It's crude certainly, but still valid as Dora Wings say they are not doing that version.

1 hour ago, Roger Holden said:

There were at least 4 (and probably more) hull designs used on the S-55 series.

Indeed:

(From Alata Interzionale, Oct 1981, 38 years ago)

48052482518_a59ec5e855_o.jpg

48052482473_9cc6088fef_o.jpg

"4" is stated for the version "P", which was the passenger version (Passaggeri).

The text clarifies that the keel (in dotted lines) was added on the last produced airframes.

"3" is stated as C "Civile".

• Like 2

There seems to be a lot of interest in this model

12 hours ago, Moa said:

I hope I am not overcrowding the post,

NEVER Moa anything you post fills our Grasshopper minds with knowledge (especially mine).  Your input is always welcome.

Stephen

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the post Dennis, Moa and Mike.

Some construction:

Hulls:   I followed the kit instructions and placed the bracing on one side of the hull and then glued the bottom to that.  I could see issues with that procedure, I now have nice gaps that needed filling.  A better way of doing it would be to glue a side and bottom together and then add the braces.

MG-4490-1.jpg

The instructions would have you complete the whole tail assembly before adding the tail booms.  There is some PE that hold the middle fin in place, I saw trouble with that and decided build most of the plastic parts first.

MG-4491-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 7

I sent an email to Dora Wings enquiring  when they will be doing the torpedo bomber version and a civilian version or floats.

The reply Torpedo bomber will be in the fall this year and floats next year.

• Like 2

I am liking this kit more and more, I best start saving that slime that Moa seems to be interested in if I want one.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DMC said:

Having a look at @rob Lyttle‘s post on Roscoe Turner’s 247 and this link on there has a couple of good photos that might interest you:

https://thejivebombers.com/category/italian-aircraft/

Dennis 

Thanks for that link

Excellent photos of one the planes produced in the US by the American Aeronautical Corp., called "American Marchetti".

Depending of which source you heed to, there were one, two, three or none whatsoever (one source claims that AAC only produced other, smaller Savoia-Marchetti designs) S.55 produced in the US by that firm.

For what I can surmised three is the correct number, but again, I am away from my files, and just briefly perusing on the Net.

• 10 months later...