B-25 C/D in natural metal finish?

IanW

Hi,

I have the AM 1/48 B-25C/D kit and really want to finish in bare metal rather than OD/Gray... can anyone please point me to any pics if such aircraft exist, esp. in European Theatre?

Thanks very much,
Ian

I'll wager a pint that you won't find a natural metal B-25 C/D in the ETO for two major reasons: the C and D models were not built that way, nor were they assigned to use in the European Theater.

Never say never, of course, but offhand I'd say your options will be very very limited, likely to a small air force or an airframe that found its way into post-war civilian service.  The early experimental Mitchell prototypes were unpainted, but by the time the B models were rolling off the line paint was de rigueur.  I'm pretty sure all of the C/D aircraft received zinc chromate primer under finish colours.  Natural metal was okayed late in the war (saved time, weight, and materials) but by then the C/D model was no longer on the lines.

That being said, it's a very nice kit you have.  My only real gripe is the mushy quality of the pilots' seats.

Any natural metal early B-25s would most likely be found in the Zone of the Interior, a.k.a. the continental U.S.  The B-25 that crashed into the Empire State Building was most likely in a natural metal appearance in the summer of 1945 when the incident occurred.  Any number of station hacks would probably have been finished the same way. 

Later,

Dave