Dakota N24320 at Gatwick a long time ago...

Paul J

In case they get missed in the Duxford Dakota thread they are here again for interest. Taken at Gatwick mid 1970;'s ('75 probably).From the viewing gallery . The pics are fro slides scanned .

8KePvZ.jpg

You can just make out the reg as N24320. A nice bright wintry day spotting I recall!!
9oHdfr.jpg

PS the trees etc  in background have all given way to the North Terminal  (sad face:-( )

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Good photo Paul .. The tug driver is confused … On the blower reporting a stolen nose leg ! Did you find out , like all good spotters usually do what it was doing at Gatwick ? Actually I've got a stack of bound Air Pictorials, might be in the Airport Movements page . They listed first visits and unusual aircraft for most of the UK airports . I'll have a look through late 75 tomorrow ,then 74 and 76 if it's not in .

Edited by bzn20

Thanks Paul. Just as I remember. @bzn20 She was on her way to West Africa (somewhere like Mali) on a spraying contract.

Martin

PS - My log book shows 12th August 1975 ;)

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is what they want...… Top Spotters , better than anything MI5 and MI6 have combined .

• Like 3

August 1975 on its way to Niger.Constructors number 20197  ex USAAF 43-15731 this aircraft survived a river ditching 22.12.1954 nr Pittsburgh,Pa ,USA.

Edited by T-21
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, T-21 said:

August 1975 on its way to Niger.Constructors number 20197  ex USAAF 43-15731 this aircraft survived a river ditching 22.12.1954 nr Pittsburgh,Pa ,USA

easy for you to say... who was the Pilot and what was the inflight movie ?

Another spy .. Well done !

Okay ..who's nicked the reaction button ? C'mon , I want it back .

• Haha 1

On 08/06/2019 at 08:49, T-21 said:

August 1975 on its way to Niger.Constructors number 20197  ex USAAF 43-15731 this aircraft survived a river ditching 22.12.1954 nr Pittsburgh,Pa ,USA.

Hardly August when I saw it!  Taken around December... note the bare trees!  Possibly on its way back from warmer climes though.

My info and a nice photograph Page 71 are in the newly published book "Classic Gatwick Airliners" by Tom Singfield well recommend. 

• Like 1

On 11 June 2019 at 11:01 AM, T-21 said:

My info and a nice photograph Page 71 are in the newly published book "Classic Gatwick Airliners" by Tom Singfield well recommend. 

:) now on order! :)

44 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

:) now on order! :)

Likewise. Saw it on sale at the LGW fair in April but lacked funds. But hoping to collect a copy.

• 3 weeks later...