1970 Lotus 72C

Lotus 72C

Oulton Park Gold Cup, 22nd August 1970

This is the Ebbro kit straight from the box apart from the addition of Tamiya seat belts and Tabu decals (how could anybody finish this kit without 'Gold Leaf Team Lotus' writ large on the sides?)

Models Lotus 72C 006

I was 19 years old in 1970, and hitch-hiked to Oulton Park with a friend to see this event. It was a significant meeting on 3 counts - 1. that it was the first win for a Surtees F1 car, 2. that it was the first race of the first ever Tyrrell, and 3. (although no one knew this at the time of course) it was Jochen Rindt's last race as he was killed at Monza two weeks later.

Models Lotus 72C 003

Models Lotus 72C 012

Models Lotus 72C 014

Models Lotus 72C 017

Models Lotus 72C 018

Models Lotus 72C 019

Chris

• Like 17

Being a 1970 born GP fan, this car and driver combination has always been one of my favourites. You really have built this Lotus to absolute perfection and that's a great credit to both your modelling skills and the quality of this kit. Can I just clarify, does the kit not include cigarette sponsorship decals? I realise that this is probably a taboo subject however it just has to have them for pure historical purposes. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave  

That is superb, Chris, I was 15 when Rindt was killed, the latest in a long line of my heros that met early ends. Totally agree about the decals too the GLTL colours were some of the best ever to my mind & bring back memories, both wonderful & sad.

Steve.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Being a 1970 born GP fan, this car and driver combination has always been one of my favourites. You really have built this Lotus to absolute perfection and that's a great credit to both your modelling skills and the quality of this kit. Can I just clarify, does the kit not include cigarette sponsorship decals? I realise that this is probably a taboo subject however it just has to have them for pure historical purposes. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave  

Just to clarify - the kit decal sheet does not include 'Gold Leaf' lettering, just the 'Team Lotus' bit. Shame really because the kit decals were of quite good quality and the replacement decal sheet was expensive. Having said that I think somebody (Indycals?) does just the 'Gold Leaf' lettering but you risk different quality of decals.

• Like 1

I like this one a little less. Mostly because of the chrome bits. I think those are too shiny and look very much like the plastic they are made of. This is especially true for the rims. Else it is as great a build as the other one. Maybe even a little cleaner.

When did formula 1 cars start to look all alike? When I was a kid and watched the races the only really distinctive design elements already were the team colours. All the same shapes, all the same sound, little action... Soon became boring. Your pictures show there's been better times. :)

Edited by Schwarz-Brot

23 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

I like this one a little less. Mostly because of the chrome bits. I think those are too shiny and look very much like the plastic they are made of. This is especially true for the rims. Else it is as great a build as the other one. Maybe even a little cleaner.

When did formula 1 cars start to look all alike? When I was a kid and watched the races the only really distinctive design elements already were the team colours. All the same shapes, all the same sound, little action... Soon became boring. Your pictures show there's been better times. :)

Fair comment but personally I prefer this to the Ferrari. I agree the chrome on the wheels is a bit too much but somehow it adds to the overall look and feel of what was a dramatic and exciting machine.

I think they all started to look alike when money took over and sponsors demanded winning. This means teams couldn’t take the risk of trying something bold in case it didn’t work so they had to copy what everyone else was doing. In theory this should mean closer racing but of course those with the most money will be able to do things better so it doesn’t work out that way.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

Fair comment but personally I prefer this to the Ferrari. I agree the chrome on the wheels is a bit too much but somehow it adds to the overall look and feel of what was a dramatic and exciting machine.

I think they all started to look alike when money took over and sponsors demanded winning. This means teams couldn’t take the risk of trying something bold in case it didn’t work so they had to copy what everyone else was doing. In theory this should mean closer racing but of course those with the most money will be able to do things better so it doesn’t work out that way.

In the end it is your model and you need to be happy with it. It just caught my eye, it's nothing but personal oppinion and I am aware pictures often aren't perfectly honest (although you obviously know how to operate a camera). I bet you already realized I am not a big F1 fan, so usually I don't even bother to comment on the usual suspects. But your builds stand out in the crowd, thus I felt it would be fair to give you my thumbs up spiced with a little constructive criticism. Good to hear back your own oppinion on that.

Cheers,

Jan

I did not notice the chrome....to me it suits my memory of this generation.  As regards “F1 cars all look the same” my dad used to not like 1970s f1 cars as “they all look the same” I lost interest in about early 2000s as “they all look the same”.....

1970s/80s still favourite!! Crazy design ideas that I don’t think can happen now...wild “bullet nose” arrows and Alfa’s, crazy Brabhams, 6 wheel Tyrell’s, and always Colin chapman pushing every envelope with sometimes tragic outcomes.  

Awesome model 

1 hour ago, BristolBlue said:

I did not notice the chrome....to me it suits my memory of this generation.  As regards “F1 cars all look the same” my dad used to not like 1970s f1 cars as “they all look the same” I lost interest in about early 2000s as “they all look the same”.....

1970s/80s still favourite!! Crazy design ideas that I don’t think can happen now...wild “bullet nose” arrows and Alfa’s, crazy Brabhams, 6 wheel Tyrell’s, and always Colin chapman pushing every envelope with sometimes tragic outcomes.  

Awesome model 

Thanks a lot. 70s and 80s were great times in F1. I actually think all F1 eras are great for different reasons - keeps me watching every fortnight anyway!

• Like 1

That is a stunning build mate, incredible.  Unfortunately these were before my time I'm sad to say.  From watching old videos the racing certainly was more exciting back in those days.  I was just getting into F1 with my dad the year Senna died (I was 15 at the time).  I intend to keep my eyes open for a Senna F1 car kit at some point.  Still watching F1 now, but its not as good as it used to be when I started.

44 minutes ago, CT Modeller said:

keeps me watching every fortnight anyway!

I keep wondering why I do, but then something like yesterday's post race ''drama'' happens....!! :rofl:

Watched an interesting interview with Ross Brawn on Sky F1 this morning when they showed concept drawings for the next generation F1 cars - if they come good they'll look absolutely stunning!

Keith

• Like 1