The F4B – Boeing's eternal biplane fighter, Act 2

"This was the last airplane in which the pilot literally got into the cockpit and wrapped it around him. The smallness of the cockpit, the close proximity of all controls, the reasonable clear vision above, to the side, downward and to the rear, and the overall smallness of the airplane gave the pilot the sense of being a part of the flying machine and being able to feel, see and easily command all of its flight requirements."

Boone T. Guyton (Naval aviator and Vought test pilot)

48028990733_409fd4b81d_b.jpg

Sometime in 1932/33 aboard USS Saratoga...

48007178197_f5e8654df8_b.jpg

... the leader of the 6th section of VF-1B 'High Hats'...

48028958486_b4763ebc0e_b.jpg

... ligns up his Fox-Four-Baker for take-off.

48007100813_2bebff84b6_b.jpg

This Entex Twin Wings model, built in 1977, is a revival of the 1958 Aurora kit. It was meant to be an F4B-4 but as I wanted it to represent 1-F-16 (BuNo. A-8911) I did a first basic conversion at that time. Not satisfied with the result I've undertaken two refurbishments since, the most recent one in conjunction with my P-12 project here.

48007177972_975080fd43_c.jpg

After many improvements over the past 40 years it's hard to remember how rudimentary this model had once been. Suffice it to say that there was no detail whatsoever, just an ungainly engine, a floor and a seat, and a massive bonnet with no troughs for the machine guns. But in the seventies we had not much choice in quarter scale and I was happy that at least a token of a golden age fighter existed!

48007100623_d70448a6e2_b.jpg

48007092311_dcee6d2564_b.jpg

48007177407_3dfb9d694c_b.jpg

Since the fuselage is a little too wide I fabricated optional weather covers to shutter the cockpit aperture. The extra width, however, helped to fit a figure into the confined space. Like Boone Guyton put it: A plane wrapped around the pilot.

48012021206_bdb41518f9_b.jpg

With considerable scratch-building and a few aftermarket items (engine, wheels, tail, ailerons) I hope that my model has now become a fair reproduction of Boeing's grand old biplane.

Thanks for your comments, Michael

48007091441_5340f09766_b.jpg

48007176732_1a3cc8ca3f_b.jpg

48018687162_b7e75d1ec8_b.jpg

References

Boeing P-12, F4B,  Aero Series No.5, Edward T. Maloney, Fallbrook, 1966

Carrier Fighters Volume 1, J.V. Mizrahi, Northridge, 1969

Navy Air Colors Vol.1, Thomas E. Doll, Berkley R. Jackson, William A. Riley, Carrollton, 1983

The Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Aircraft Color Guide Vol.1, John M. Elliott, Boylston, 1987

P-12 / F4B in Action, Aircraft Number 141, Larry Davis, Squadron Signal Publications, Carrollton, 1993

Wings of the Fleet - US Navy & Marine Corps Aviation 1919-1941, On Target Special No.8, Peter Freeman and Mike Starner, Arlington, 2009

F4B - P-12 Scale Drawings, William A. Wylam, New York

Act 1 and Act 2 together - the eternal twosome...

48017619633_ecf1587677_b.jpg

Click here to read the P-12 story

• Like 59
  • Thanks 1

Michael,

Excellent results with this beautiful models.   Sehr nettes Job that rigging  !  👍

I also build those old Aurora models, although old and inaccurate, I still have them.

Kind greetings,

JohnHaa 

Edited by JohnHaa
  • Thanks 1

On 07/06/2019 at 19:48, noelh said:

You've certainly made a 'silk purse out of a pig's ear'. It's fabulous. Those pre war American fighters really are unique and you've done it justice.

Thank you noelh!

Upgrading this kit was a lot of work but some parts like the struts were actually more accurate than those of the much later Classic Airframes product, not to speak of the stiffer plastic... I love 'preserving' vintage models.

• Like 1

I love that so much!  :worthy:Those "Golden Age" fighters are among my favorite of all types of planes.  I like how they were the last of the bi-planes and they ushered in a whole new generation of monoplane fighters that soon followed.    I built the Lindberg (ex-Impact) kit of the Hawker Fury in 1/48 many years ago, and then subsequently went off on a kit-buying spree.  I now have seven or eight in the stash including more of those Lindberg Impact reissues and several Classic Airframes kits.

Your work, done back in '77, is just amazing. You brought that craft to life and enhanced it in so many ways.  Both of those bi-planes are great models and very inspirational as well.   My Fury suffered a bad accident a few years ago when a heavy 1/24 Fernando Pinto resin car model(1954 Ferrari 350 PanAmericana racer, ex-Phil Hill/Richie Ginther) fell from two shelves above and landed squarely on top of the Fury.  The only structural damage was one broken leg on one strut, but every piece of the rigging was dislodged!   I gathered all those pieces of fine guitar string together but haven't had the heart to try a rehabilitation project yet.  Your beautiful fighters might have inspired me to give it another go.   Thanks for that!🍺

• Thanks 1

On 07/06/2019 at 20:45, JohnHaa said:

Michael,

Excellent results with this beautiful models.   Sehr nettes Job that rigging  !  👍

I also build those old Aurora models, although old and inaccurate, I still have them.

Kind greetings,

JohnHaa

On 09/06/2019 at 15:19, Gary Brantley said:

I love that so much!  :worthy:Those "Golden Age" fighters are among my favorite of all types of planes.  I like how they were the last of the bi-planes and they ushered in a whole new generation of monoplane fighters that soon followed.    I built the Lindberg (ex-Impact) kit of the Hawker Fury in 1/48 many years ago, and then subsequently went off on a kit-buying spree.  I now have seven or eight in the stash including more of those Lindberg Impact reissues and several Classic Airframes kits. 

Thank you John and Gary. Your comments are much appreciated.

It seems we share a lot of enthusiasm for this aviation period, and particularly for vintage models. I can't remember if my local dealer had Aurora and Inpact kits but Lindberg was available. I still have the Curtiss fighters in storage and, by adding some vacuform and newer releases, I plan to build the full Hawk biplane range - once all my other projects have been completed...

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

On 13/06/2019 at 18:47, Duncan B said:

What a feast for the eyes, a wonderful build (rebuild?). Beautiful work on both of them.

Many thanks Duncan. I'm very pleased that you like the presentation of my model.

Yes, a double rebuild so to speak:

1977 - initial build; some adjustments of the fuselage and rudder to convert to F4B-3 status; full rigging.

1996 - upgrade of the fuselage spine, fin and strut fairings; new engine, antennae and rigging; fresh colours and decals.

2019 - full overhaul; refinement of fuselage contour and cowling; machine gun troughs; cockpit and pilot; aftermarket engine (again), wheels, tail and control surfaces; correction of colours and decals (on wings); new rigging and antennae (again); panel lines and many small details.

2040 - ??? (will be too shaky to hold the model)

A lot of work for such an old kit! But to learn from previous experience was still easier than to start all over again. The Classic Airframes P-12 gave me more headaches.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Michael !!

You're a man after my heart !!

Great Boeing part 2 !!

I started mine month ago !!

Hope that I will do half as good as you did !!

Here's my fiest trip in the yellow wings Navy !

Sincerely 

CC

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Michael,

your two models are out of this world. Yellow wing planes are at the top of my favorites, so you can bring them on as long as you like!                                                        Congrats for two works of art.

JR                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

At first sight I thought about the 72nd from Monogram! Then I remembered that Toryu's scale is 48th, then I read the comments, and one word came to my mind: Outrageous! Cheers Michaël.

• Thanks 1

• Toryu changed the title to The F4B – Boeing's eternal biplane fighter, Act 2