TIE FIGTHER of "The Empire Strikes Back". Bandai 1/72.

Hi all:

I'm new to this subforum of Britmodeller. As I said to a partner, I usually make models of airplanes but I really like any thing that flies, be it real or fictitious. And here I am with this great Bandai kit.

It has a spectacularly small and perfect detail, as well as the adjustment of its parts. I hope the god of the models makes the Bandai decide to make kits of aircraft, would be very welcome, I'm sure.

COCKPIT

The exterior part of the cockpit comes exquisitely detailed, like the rest of the kit parts. Even so, I decide to detail it with some cable.
For this I use part of the black staple to obtain stretched plastic of two thicknesses.

48015289813_aa21fc56f0_z.jpg

The instructions indicate neutral gray for both the interior and exterior of cockpit. I consider it correct and apply Tamiya XF-53.
I paint both the cables and some details with different shades of gray, red and yellow from Vallejo MC, varnish with Tamiya gloss and apply oil to highlight details. The final finish I give it with satin varnish of Vallejo Model Air.

48015276241_1b3745712d_b.jpg

To the back inside I paint some details with light gray of Vallejo MC.

48015363992_83a1053562_b.jpg

I apply oils to highlight, I put the decals and finish airbrushing satin varnish from Vallejo MA.

48015363872_c2581a2a79_b.jpg

The command post is very well reproduced. And the pilot is no exception.
It is molded in black plastic and when it receives a hand of gray primer it is possible to perceive all the good detail it has. It is enviable for a figure in 1/72 scale. Only the gloves and the upper pockets of the pants are missing.

48015289718_a1320219a0_b.jpg

I am not at all happy with the result of the pilot's painting and his "office".
On the one hand, I have felt very uncomfortable painting a completely black figure, both bright and matt. All the good detailed work in the molding of the figure goes unnoticed, especially the detail of the helmet that in addition to black is bright. And on the other hand I should have been more attentive when it comes to removing the excess oil before varnishing .... Unbearable on my part.
As the one who has no excuse is because I do not want to say that, although it had been a magnificently painted piece would have been a useless job because being black and locked in a cabin so tiny and almost without giving a ray of light it will be virtually impossible to differentiate if it was good or badly painted. Or even if you will see the cables that I bothered to add. Sometimes the satisfaction of knowing that "that" is there, even if it is not seen, compensates, but this is not the case.

48015363817_8041321095_b.jpg

PAINTING THE OUTSIDE

For the exterior of the ship I tried to create a mixture of bluish gray.

In the screenshots I took of the movie "The Empire Strikes Back" the Tie Figther are seen in a bluish gray color, unlike the light gray of Star Wars. However, I have been able to observe in some photo of the real models used in the filming that they had a somewhat intense blue color, and I would say with a point towards green. I have chosen to paint them as I saw them and I see them at the moment when I see the film and for that I have made a mixture of Tamiya paintings.

For the mixture I used 3 parts of white XF-2, 2 parts of light gray XF-66 and 1 part of neutral gray XF-53. For the cockpit glass and some details in darker gray I opted to use Tamiya XF-53.

48015383012_6c1b6c5089_b.jpg

Regards.

Edited by Andrés S.
  • Like 12

Some really beautiful neat work you're doing there! At least you'll have the photos to see it after it's all closed up inside the model :)

Will

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Some really beautiful neat work you're doing there! At least you'll have the photos to see it after it's all closed up inside the model :)

Will

Hi Will.

Thanks I hope to be more careful when painting the exterior and not make the same mistake of varnishing without removing excess oil.

Regards.

3 hours ago, DalekCheese said:

That really is lovely...

Hi DalekCheese.

Thanks. I appreciate your words.

Regards.

Hi all.

PAINTING THE OUTSIDE II

After painting some detail that was missing in XF-53 I tried to apply dirt in a couple of points: in the area of the motors of the "ball", since the motors always spill oil, and in the final area of the "arms".

Well, obviously I have been short applying oils because although the area of the engines can be seen in the arms is barely visible.

Certainly I have much to learn to apply the oils and practice with them.

Then it has been the usual: to varnish in bright, to emphasize details and lines of panel with oil, to place the decals, to re-varnish in brilliant to seal everything and finally I applied satin varnish of Vallejo MA.

Regards.

48020463493_162dfee958_b.jpg

48020442131_dd33bea5e0_b.jpg

48020442081_7237ef57c0_b.jpg

48020442111_f8f26ab131_b.jpg

48020463393_a7a2eaa629_z.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Andy.

Thanks for your words, they are appreciated.
The masking of the crystal has not been anything compared to that of the energy panels. It's getting interminable. I hope to show the finished model in a few days.

Regards.

Hi all.

MODEL FINISHED

Well, I've almost reached the end. The model is completely finished; I just need to put a methacrylate bar, put it on its base and add a small plaque with the name of the ship, the scale and the name of the movie "The Empire Strikes Back".

Before I would like to show you a photo where for the first time I checked the size of this model that when seen without assembling gives a wrong idea of its size (possibly because it has such an unusual cockpit) and where you also see the endless masking work to paint bluish gray energy panels. Rounding the number I think I have reached 200 pieces of Tamiya tape. I've been saturated for a long time ...

Until I finish it completely on its base as I have described there are some photos.

Thank you all for your support.

Regards.

P.D.- I want to apologize for the photos. Neither I have good lighting elements nor really do it correctly.

48040265588_61bd5f0518_b.jpg

48040331262_c544da1d76_b.jpg

48040331332_0075e98804_b.jpg

48040268583_c28ca1d758_z.jpg

48039988756_fc95a37a7b_b.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Wow, this is incredible work my friend.  I hope I get close that skill level some day.  My local model shop has this kit in stock at the moment, as well as the AT-AT, AT-ST, X-Wing, Snowspeeder, and Slave 1 all from Bandai, and I want them all (I'm a Star Wars nerd).  I have mainly built Bandai Gundam models up until recently, so I know just how crisp the detail is and how well the pieces go together with Bandai kits.  You've done an amazing job here :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Wow, this is incredible work my friend.  I hope I get close that skill level some day.  My local model shop has this kit in stock at the moment, as well as the AT-AT, AT-ST, X-Wing, Snowspeeder, and Slave 1 all from Bandai, and I want them all (I'm a Star Wars nerd).  I have mainly built Bandai Gundam models up until recently, so I know just how crisp the detail is and how well the pieces go together with Bandai kits.  You've done an amazing job here :)

Hi HoolioPaulio.

STAR WARS ships have a special look that makes them unique. I think few modelers will not want to make one one day. The Bandai kits, from what I've checked and from what I've seen and commented on by other modelers I think they are at the top. Easy and fun to build and full of good details. I liked so much to build this kit that I have ordered some more online.

Thanks  for your words.

Regards.

1 hour ago, Gemini 8 said:

That´s a fantastic paintwork and subtle but effective weathering. I love it.

Hi Gemini 8.

It has been a simple painting because the type of imperial ship I think it should be. The ships of the Rebellion have a more neglected and dirty look. With them, who are on their way home, I will try to recreate a more deteriorated and dirty painting. I hope to succeed in this, these kits have so much quality and facilitate so much construction work that they deserve the most effort in their painting.

Thanks for your words.

Regards.

• Like 2