Wingnut Wings - Shorts Felixstowe F.2a Early, Great Yarmouth, 1918

• 5 months later...

Really wonderfull work, very impressive!

I bought the dualist kit of the Felixstowe and the Hansa Brandenburg W.29 at Telford together with another member of our club. The Wingnut Wings Guys had a great offer on the kit. I am going to build the W.29 and my friend the Felixstowe. Glad to see one completed!

• Like 1

This is a stunning beautiful job on this kit!  Worthy of a museum for sure.  ThE plane itsel is also a wonderful subject and I have always hopped to see one in 1/48 (injection molded to be specific) but that might be a long wait.  Anyway, thank you for sharing this.

• Like 1

Wow! First of all guys, I had no idea this thread was active again - so I’m sorry it’s taken me a good few days to reply to you! 

Thank you very much for all your wonderful comments on this build. It’s the pride of my collection, and I somehow doubt that I will ever be able to build anything near that standard again! 

so thank you all very very much for your very kind comments. I can’t believe I actually finished a WNW Felixstowe! Something I never thought I would do!!!

Merry Christmas all! 

Chris

On 12/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, sanfrandragon said:

That’s a beautiful build!  A level of craftsmanship to which I aspire.

Can I ask how you did the translucent effect on the underside of the wings with the ribs showing through and shading either side?

Hi there,

With great pleasure - it’s mainly decal related. I used Aviattic Decals (aged CDL) for the overall effect. But before you can put them down, you need to work on the base so that the effects are shown through. 

Now sadly, I had a technology meltdown and lost all my photos of this work... but I’ll try and remember now.

Step 1: Flat White base. Just cover the entire surface. No need to be shy! 

Step 2: slight mottling back using an off-white colour. I used mr colour for this.

Step 3: the messy part! Using pigments, (I used a brown one!), go over the rib tapes and a little bit each side. Rub in a circular motion until blended nicely. as long as the main rib tape is “standing out”, that worked for me. 

Step 4: Gloss coat to protect the work

Step 5: Mask the individual ribs and spray very thin white over the raised details. Just enough so you can still a small bit of the pigment work on the ribs. I found 4/5 passes was enough at a low pressure. 

Step 6: Remove the masking tape, and touch up any areas you’re not happy with using white paint. 

Step 7: Gloss coat 

Step 8: Cut and apply decals. Where there’s a edge, use Klear to flow between the wing and the decal to “seal it in”

Step 9: any additional weathering. Oil streaking? Etc..

I think that was about it! I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any questions you might have!!

Chris 

You don't see too many Felixstowes being built (even the 72nd ones are pretty large) because there is a lot stuff on the airframe.  Having said that, most people choose the colorful fuselage 

markings which are awesome!  But I really like your choice of doing this particular airframe..... It kind a represents a working man's Felixstowe.  Great Job!

Todders

• Like 1

Thank you Todders! There’s something that I love about the wood and linen finish. It just looks so different and almost “classical” in it’s appearance. As if it’s a reminder that aircraft of this era were all wood and fabric. But when I saw the option to do these markings, I had to.

I suspect my next one will be in the jazzy anti-dazzle schemes. 

3 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I would need a new flat!

I’ve been lucky enough that it’s blocking up an entire shelf in the man cave at the moment, in a big perspex display box. 

I can only hope that in the future, my man cave comes with several big shelves!!!

Chris

That is superb, well done.

19 hours ago, Chris Jephcott said:

I suspect my next one will be in the jazzy anti-dazzle schemes. 

After all the whisky, rude words, etc, you still want to do another one?  That is true devotion.

Chapeau!