I've wanted to build a Hellcat for a long time, so seeing as the Eduard Dual Combo has a scheme for a D-Day stripped aircraft, I thought this would be a good reason not to.

It will be built as JV131, No.800 Sqn FAA, HMS Emperor, June 1944.

Unfortunatly I won't be able to start it just yet, I had a new man cave built yesterday, now waiting for them to insulate and fit the electrics. Have planned my bench, just need to build it.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-06 at 20.19.34 WhatsApp Image 2019-06-06 at 20.19.33 WhatsApp Image 2019-06-06 at 20.19.33(1)

Edited by NickP
  • Like 12

There's something about an nice single engine radial powered fighter isn't there?

I'm itching to get some building done, not done anything since April. I feel this will get the works too.

Great kit, built a couple myself.  HMS Emperor served in the Western approaches during D-Day defending the Western flank or he Operation.  I hope to join the GB in a bit with a Seafire III from 886 NAS part of the spotting pool...

• 2 weeks later...

Well thanks to Skinners Sheds, I won't have a useable shed till the 20th July, couldnt organise a piddle  up. I think I'll be going down the refund road Monday and saucing my own sparky and doing the cladding myself.

They just don't understand I need my man cave!

Edited by NickP
Mistake
  • Sad 1

I had two items turn up today for my build.

Two bases that I plan on displaying the Hellcat on once I have finished it, not sure which one yet, but having two just means I'll have to build something else 🤔

20190618_123806

These are from Coastal Kits, since I last ordered a base from them they have improved a lot.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

My man cave has finally been finished

20190720_133342

This morning I took a trip to get the ply for the bench, all cut by the helpful chap at B&Q.

4 hours and I have a 90% finished bench, just the bench top to screw to the wall support and two wall brackets to fit and I'll be moving in and starting my build.

20190721_213947

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had a good day in the cave yesterday.

The cockpit was put into the fuselage and closes up.

Tail plane was built.

Cowl only put on to see the size as I now have to start work on the engine.

20190809_220833

20190810_214930

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Do the leads they are quite prominent.  If you don't do them you will always regret it...

I agree. You can see them in the cowl but only just. To be honest it's the first radial aircraft I've really built in 6 years.

20190825_181553

It's looking like a beast now.

All coming along. Few bits to put on, mask the canopy and add the windscreen then it'll be ready for some primer.

I'm hoping that my Vallejo paint till spray ok once the humidity has gone, although I've started a collection of Tamiya paints. I'll just have to work out the right colour matches. Hopefully we will give the deadline target.

• Like 4

Hello Nick, that looks like good progress.

20 hours ago, NickP said:

I'm hoping that my Vallejo paint till spray ok once the humidity has gone, although I've started a collection of Tamiya paints. I'll just have to work out the right colour matches. Hopefully we will give the deadline target.

I haven't had any unusal problems with Vallejo paint this summer - I believe they are Spanish, and should be used to some heat.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Hello Nick, that looks like good progress.

I haven't had any unusal problems with Vallejo paint this summer - I believe they are Spanish, and should be used to some heat.

Good luck :)

It’s funny you should mention that. I VERY nearly gave up on va as no matter what I did it would not spray but I sprayed some the other day with success.  And it was hot....😁

• Haha 1

On 30/08/2019 at 23:40, NickP said:

What did you both do?

I'm thinking about buying a new needle for my airbrush first. I might have knocked the end.

For spraying the va?  I think in all honesty I hadn’t cleaned the airbrush properly as now after every session (not when just changing colour) I strip the thing down and chuck in in the ultra sonic bath and the times i’ve Sprayed va it’s been fine.  Having said that, there were times when it had been stripped down and thoroughly cleaned and the va just did not spray afterwards.  No real help i’m Afraid! 🤔

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've not done a lot on the Hellcat for a while as I've had a few 're sprays to work on. 

I can believe how the deadline is fast approaching. 

The canopy has been masked since this picture and the windscreen is to be done, then I think it's ready for primer

20190910_222300

I might manage to get it in some colour before the dead line.

• Like 4