P-38 Lou-E-Z-Ann +++ FINISHED +++

Hi all.

My entry will be this 1/100 scale Eldon Match Kit of a P-38 Lightning.

P1100705.JPG

A crude kit from the 1960s, but with an interesting parts breakdown.

P1100706.JPG

The kit comes with some anonymous post-war USAF markings (did P-38s ever carry these?), but I'll be finishing mine as Lou-E-Z-Ann, of 392nd FS/367th FG which apparantly took part in the Normandy Invasion (source: SuperScale decal sheet 72-757).

P1100707.JPG

There's just one potential issue.  The kit states that it's a P38-L, but Lou-E-Z-Ann was a -J.  Are the differences anything that I need to be concerned about?

Thanks

Cliff

• Like 5

Sounds like the L was very similar to the J.  Different engines being the biggest difference.  Being enclosed in the booms, there may not be much difference visually...I'd just compare some pics looking at scoops & exhausts to see if there were significant enough differences to be worth bothering.  Sounds like you are probably good though.

http://www.aerofiles.com/JBlock-p38j.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Sounds like an interesting build Cliff.  I'll leave it to others to comment about P-38J or L differences.

Thanks for the welcome Robert

6 hours ago, helios16v said:

Sounds like the L was very similar to the J.  Different engines being the biggest difference.  Being enclosed in the booms, there may not be much difference visually...I'd just compare some pics looking at scoops & exhausts to see if there were significant enough differences to be worth bothering.  Sounds like you are probably good though.

http://www.aerofiles.com/JBlock-p38j.html

Thanks Chris.  That all looks very hopeful.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Time for me to make a start and it looks like I'm in for a treat!

Mis-moulded parts...

P1100836.jpg

Loads of rivets...

P1100837.jpg

Decal placement markings and, best of all, no sign of any superchargers...

P1100838.jpg

It's the only 1/100 scale P-38 in town though, so I can't really complain :speechless:

• Like 2

Hello cliff i have an idea for the Superchargers. It all depends on what your stash/spares look like. If you have an StarFighter, another F-80, or the wheels on those fighters are quite ribbed. Could you drill a hole plce the wheel on its side and add a bit of sprue to form the supercharger ? Another option that comes to mind, i think B-17's used similar superchargers if you have a small kit could you not mould a couple with resin or worse comes to worse steal a pair ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello cliff i have an idea for the Superchargers. It all depends on what your stash/spares look like. If you have an StarFighter, another F-80, or the wheels on those fighters are quite ribbed. Could you drill a hole plce the wheel on its side and add a bit of sprue to form the supercharger ? Another option that comes to mind, i think B-17's used similar superchargers if you have a small kit could you not mould a couple with resin or worse comes to worse steal a pair ? 

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Thanks for some great ideas.  I agree that the starting point will be drilling some holes and I like the idea of then using some spare wheels as the basic structure (I hadn't thought of that).  As it happens, I do have both Starfighter and F-80 wheels in my spares box.  I'll take a look.  As usual with my builds, I'll be after a result that looks OK to the casual observer, rather than being 100% accurate (which is probably just as well in this case!).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The good news is that I've now managed to get all the main parts together and pretty much lined up OK.

P1100846.jpg

The bad news is that there's still much to be done to get it looking beautiful (not to mention the need for superchargers).

P1100847.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Nice! 👍

I really like the shape of this - don;t know if the nose is slightly longer than other P38 kits or maybe just my eyes? 🤣

Thanks Lawzer.  I know what you mean about the nose, but checking against drawings it doesn't appear to be too long.

Its tip should be blunter though, so maybe that's what's creating the effect.  Plus of course, there are no spinners on yet.

Here's the latest update - now ready for some primer.  Things didn't go as planned with the superchargers, but I'm reasonably happy with the simplified result.  They're set a 'trough', rather than the planned 'hole'

P1100848.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 7:28 PM, Lawzer said:

I have trouble masking in 1/32! Nice work! 👍

Thanks Lawzer.  It's worked really well on your P-51.

Like you, I've used white primer, followed by a black top coat (Revell Aqua Anthracite in my case).

Here's the result:

P1100870.jpg

Just a few details to paint now, plus decalling. 

I must also remember to add some armament, as there's none provided in the kit.  Perhaps I should have drilled some holes in the nose before I applied the shiny paintwork! :doh:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

On 9/28/2019 at 12:25 PM, PlaStix said:

Very good progress Cliff. Hope you manage to get it finished in time.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 9/28/2019 at 1:50 PM, Hewy said:

For such an ancient kit, you've  done a smashing job so far cliff

On 9/28/2019 at 7:01 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Definitely some good work here. 

Thank you guys for your kind comments and encouragement :thumbsup2:

Luckily, I have indeed managed to finish Lou-E-Z-Ann on time.

P1100871.jpg

By any standards, this is a really rubbish kit, but I've actually quite enjoyed cajoling it into something half-decent.  I think because the P-38 is such a great looking aircraft.

The biggest failings of the kit are a total absence of any superchargers and a canopy which looks like it's been made out of crystallised sugar - sweet!

My biggest failing has been ending up with stars n' bars on the booms which are way too small.  I'll need to get some larger replacements sometime/probably/possibly/never.

National markings aside, all other decals were scanned/reduce/reprinted from a 1/72 SuperScale sheet.  The orignal sheet had many stencils, but I limited myself to the six fuel caps.  Overall, the process went very well and the Lightning has now taken up postion alongside its ward, my D Day C-47 from this year's STGB.  I love it when a plan comes together!

P1100876.jpg

Thanks as always to all of you who have supported this build and to Robert and Rich for hosting.

Cheers fellas.

Cliff

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent work on this and all of your Micro Air force. The Markings look great and the Star & bars were pretty small on the booms anyway. so its not really all that noticeable. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.

Unrelated, but I keep meaning to tell you that I'm just finishing the John Boyd biography that you recommended to me earlier in the year.  A top read (as you said it would be)!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1