I will edit the title when I begin to build.

I've got two models eligible for this group build: a Spitfire IXc from Airfix, which would look great in invasion stripes, or a He177 from the right month that I just ordered (should be arriving tomorrow). I don't know if that He177 had anything to do with D Day, but I think I'll build it for my entry. I'm a massive fan of large German aircraft.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 5

I'm building up quite a nice bomber collection: my Airfix V Bomber trio, a Lancaster, a Stuka, another Vulcan as a project to fix up, and a Do17E/F.... I enjoy building bombers, they're typically very elegant aircraft, unless they're German ones when they just look brutishly efficient and mean or plain (plane :p) bizarre- which is probably why the Germans made some of my favourite aircraft of the war.

• Like 1

177 has arrived. Box looks good, decals look good, parts are good, only thing is the clear parts could be better. There are two schemes included: 6N+DN and F8+KP. Both are from 1944. 

6N+DN has a Mäander wave pattern, the squiggly things, can anyone give any advice on doing them? 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2019 at 07:25, Adam Poultney said:

I'm building up quite a nice bomber collection: my Airfix V Bomber trio, a Lancaster, a Stuka, another Vulcan as a project to fix up, and a Do17E/F.... I enjoy building bombers, they're typically very elegant aircraft, unless they're German ones when they just look brutishly efficient and mean or plain (plane :p) bizarre- which is probably why the Germans made some of my favourite aircraft of the war.

I see it differently. I find the British bombers look the brutish ones with a few exceptions. While the German ones generally have a bit more style, with a few exceptions.

I will look forward to your He 177 build. I take it is the 1/72 kit like Greg did. I have both the 1/72 & the 1/48, kits. The 1/48 is a monster model. 

On the squiggly line issue you can do them as above which gives more or less an hard edge or if you have a good airbrush you can spray them like I did on my Recon Me 262. That was a harder pattern than squiggly lines, as I had to be in control every second of the way. Squiggly lines are more forgiving.

Still it requires a lot of focus and a bit of luck to do it well. What you get is a softer look when you spray them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I see it differently. I find the British bombers look the brutish ones with a few exceptions. While the German ones generally have a bit more style, with a few exceptions.

I will look forward to your He 177 build. I take it is the 1/72 kit like Greg did. I have both the 1/72 & the 1/48, kits. The 1/48 is a monster model. 

On the squiggly line issue you can do them as above which gives more or less an hard edge or if you have a good airbrush you can spray them like I did on my Recon Me 262. That was a harder pattern than squiggly lines, as I had to be in control every second of the way. Squiggly lines are more forgiving.

Still it requires a lot of focus and a bit of luck to do it well. What you get is a softer look when you stay them.

It's Revell's 1/72 kit. 

Personally I think the Lancaster is quite an elegant aircraft, and the cold war V Bombers are the most elegant aircraft of all time, but the Stirling and Hampden I'd consider to be 'brutish' looking. The Germans made the He177, probably one of the most brutish looking bombers of the war. The He111 and Ar234 come in the brutish category as well. The Ju88 series of aircraft had the elegant edge to them, as did early Do17s.

• Like 1

Finally did something on it.... So far only a few minor issues with mould lines and flash on the parts (one bit was quite problematic but it was easily fixed.... I think. I have test fitted the main parts for a rough idea of size and she is big! She's the size of a Lanc! I did not sign up for this! Oh well guess I'll find somewhere to put her when she's done....

37dab023ef023ada74426966592602a2.jpg

520d24b886da44fe0755150088dcad77.jpg

• Like 5

Update time:

And now she's starting to see some real progress. Just a basic paint job because the clear parts in this kit are well.... Poor to say the least. No picture right now, but watch out for the rear turret seat, it is a pain to get in.

65c0fec936955c7645e9b5f1899faad5.jpg

Fuselage halves together! These fit very very well and shouldn't require more than a light sand. The bullheads- which I nearly forgot- were kinda awkward to place in, especially with one going in after the halves are together. 

3abe3f47ff515fed830fef21420d62f5.jpg

• Like 5

On 08/06/2019 at 00:03, Adam Poultney said:

177 has arrived. Box looks good, decals look good, parts are good, only thing is the clear parts could be better. There are two schemes included: 6N+DN and F8+KP. Both are from 1944. 

6N+DN has a Mäander wave pattern, the squiggly things, can anyone give any advice on doing them? 

Hi.

I have the same kit. It seems pretty good to me.
I do not remember exactly the quality of the crystals, although if it had been bad I would really remember.
To improve the clarity and brightness you can always give it a bath in Future and let it dry.

For the wavy camouflage I can only think of an airbrush, although it is difficult and long in time because of the size of the plane. Although you can always make masks with Tamiya paper changing the orientation so that it does not always look the same, I think the best thing is an airbrush without a mask, although it is more difficult because of the control of the opening of the paint cone.

Regards.

Oops and another update!

All the subassemblies! Like.... Most of them.... Bombs are primed and I started painting the SC500s (I think that's what they are).

d7778217db459be7cff3e30561d4fc89.jpg

And now there are wings! 

c6f1d02c229aa34ef722dcc1b45853e5.jpg

These went together like a dream! Painting will come later on all assemblies later because motivation to do anything at all is hard to come by during exams (only one left to go!).

91412fce3665d428610b101ada8bd097.jpg

And now I've got a wing on, and once again it fit perfectly! It's a huge shame that the clear parts are so poor, because it's an otherwise brilliant kit! Really wish Revell would retool the clears for the kit...

5e5562272c3db481f626a276facc43d7.jpg

And here's the underside

defec26b195a395cd24462c1904c08c2.jpg

• Like 6

Excellent progress Adam.

Not sure Future (or Klear, the UK name?) are stll sold as Johnsons, Klear may be Pledge Klear now - get it from the supermarket.

Good Luck with the exams - and their results

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good progress mate.  I'm not sure you'll need those bombs- they're guided bombs used for shipping attacks when the launch plane would have a clear shot at the target in daylight.  I'm away from my books, but the Germans did a lot of night bombing of the Allied positions and ships around Normandy and I'd be very surprised if they didn't call on their He177s.

• Like 1

I've already got the attachment points on, and I quite like the look of the bombs. The painting guide claims that the aircraft represents it as it was in France in June, 1944 and that's good enough for me.

Interesting information on the usage of the bombs though.

I really need to update this and get on with the build....

I have both the wings on and the canopy masked

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

e7eed3de778a0993dbe5da1db184a43c.jpg

Ok so finally some pictures, and a long search for the rudder which I misplaced, she's huge and looking very much like a Heinkel.

Clear parts are awful,  they fit badly, have a lot of flash and aren't that clear. Revell needs to reissue this with an improved clear sprue. I'd especially like to see a one piece canopy that actually fits rather than the poorly moulded two part one included.

9373fcd7c4d93d360e7cd9934b1b767f.jpg

The masking set I bought is bad also, it peels away horribly so that might cause problems later. 

23b088265b0846562a01f1b4f6126763.jpg

All that said, I am looking forward to painting the model. I rather like RLM 70/71 splinter camo.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 3