Vintage Bentley bits

Dancona

Ive noticed some wonderful "Blower" builds on the forum, and the odd request for information regarding some of the more obscure details of the real car.

I am lucky enough to have access to a 1926 3 litre which was recently in bits and I took the oportunity to take some pictures of some of the more dificult to get to bits (the three and the four and a half engines are extremely similar). So I thought I would share some of the pictures and also help to clear up some points and provide a reference for obsessive modellers like myself,

but fefore I do that I had a request to shed some light on water pumps.

There seems to be a bit of a mystery regarding the water pump on the four and a half litre Bentley, Airfix kind of abbreviated it on the big kit and it is dificult to see on photos because it is buried in the radiator. I couldnt get any really clear shots of the whole thing on the 3 litre, so I've found some that should explain whats missing.

This is a four and a half water pump, upside down, the big curly pipe on the right is connected to the waterjacket under the magneto on the RHS of the engine (Airfix got that right), the other smaller curly pipe on left goes to the thermostat, more on that later, and the flange with the studs (facing downwards on the car) has an additional casting and goes to the radiator.

spacer.png

This is it on a standard (unblown) four and a half showing (behind the headlamp mount) the missing bit of  pipe that goes on the flange and comes out sideways to the radiator (this car has unusual aluminium plates boxing in the lower part of the engine block).

spacer.png

The Blower Bentleys had no thermostat fitted so the outlet was cut off before the bend and a brass screw in plug fitted, as can be seen on this superb 1:3 scale working model (brass plug missing).

spacer.png

On a standard unblown car the water pump connected to the thermostat on the water gallery, but I dont think any of the supercharged cars had them fitted, as seen below.

spacer.png

Ill post some oily bits next when I have a moment, hope this helps those that were asking !!!!

Cheers

David

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Brilliant! Many, many thanks! I've been looking for details of the front of the Bentley engine, to convert the big Airfix kit back to a standard 4.5 litre - this gives me exactly what I needed!

• Thanks 1

Glad to be able to help Admiral Puff sir, maybe some of this could be useful, NOW onto the oily bits !

The Airfix engine is a bit simplified, the biggest problem is that the vertical drive casing at the front of the engine is not separate from the block on the kit, the best way of illustrating this is showing how the real one is bolted together.

This is the more or less complete 3 litre engine, advanced for its time it sported OHC, 4 valves per cylinder and twin plugs per cylinder plus an obscenely long stroke (for tax reasons- bore was taken into account for calculations but not stroke). It also had a “non detachable” head because in 1919 when the engine was being developed no-one had figured out how to do a reliable head gasket, this means that the valve chest and the bores were cast into one block which was then bolted onto a separate crankcase.

spacer.png

If you take the block off you get this, pistons falling out !

On the right the lower part of the vertical camshaftshaft (plus waterpump and magneto) drive casing can be seen clearly.

spacer.png

And the bulkhead, with the dynamo drive clearly visible where it normally conects to the rear of the camshaft.

spacer.png

This is the block with the side water jacket plates off

spacer.png

And on top of the block casting you have this, the camshaft casing which has the upper part of the shaft cover cast into it as well.

spacer.png

and in place but without the top cover

spacer.png

Finally another bit that I have noticed people asking about, the Rev-counter drive, that comes off the front of camshaft (the Dynamo comes off the rear through the bulkhead and under the dash).

spacer.png

spacer.png

There is a very good blog, with a lot of pictures of obscure Bentley bits, here as well.

http://vintagebentleyblog.weebly.com/

Thats probably enough for now, I have some more general chassis ones I will post later, hope some of this helps !

Cheers

David

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A goldmine of details and invaluable for those who want to superdetail their kits. I think this thread should be moved to the walkaround section so it does not get lost over time! Thank you for sharing this, and please keep the pictures coming! Your comments are very helpfull, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for those. It looks as though I've pretty much got the tachometer drive and front end correct, but the water pump pics are exactly what I needed. Where on the rad does it all connect? I'm guessing bottom left corner as viewed from behind.

Oh, and while you're on the subject of oily bits, on the Blowers there are two oil lines, one either side of the block, running from the rear bulkhead forward along the cylinders. They appear to be secured just behind the distributors with a junction block, but where do the lines go after that? I'm assuming they go to the forward crankshaft bearing, but it would be nice to know for sure!

All I need now is details of the oil and fuel pipe runs, particularly behind the firewall, as the Birkin Le Mans cars were unique with the extra tanks. I'll continue to search for that info, but if you find anything please shout!

All the best,

Ian 

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Dancona,  wonderful pictures.......Thanks for sharing.

You may be interested to know of a fantastic modeller who like yourself  lives in Barcelona. His name is Francisco Pulido.

His engineered scratch built Bentley Blower in 1/10th scale is an incredibly detailed masterpiece.

Have a look on his website. He has also built a Type 59 Bugatti as well. You may be able to arrange to meet him to see his models as you live close by.

Hi Noel,

I have certainly heard of him, maybe it would be worth a try to track him down, Ive seen pictures of his work, stunning stuff !

Ian,

In answer to your question I don’t know !!!!!, but with the 3 litre (and the standard 4.5) on the LHS (exhaust side) of the engine there are two oil lines that run from the large banjo type fitting below and to the right of the magneto. One of them runs along the block and into the bulkhead to the oil pressure gauge, the other runs with it until at the rear of the engine where it goes vertically to the camshaft drive. There is also a thin curly one from the “banjo” that goes directly to the cross shaft gears (magneto drives) at the front of the engine. The large diameter pipe that goes into the “banjo” and disappears down towards the sump goes to the oil pump which is mounted vertically inside the front of the sump, the “banjo itself connects internally to the oil filter, on the very earliest cars the filter was mounted externally (horizontally) on the side of the crankcase but was soon integrated vertically into the sump.

Soooo, I’m guessing that the LHS pipes are the ones I have mentioned, but as for the RHS I can only guess that it is some sort of oil feed for the blower itself, I will make some discreet inquiries and see if I can find out, though of one thing I am sure, no two cars will be exactly the same !

• Like 1

here is the LHS of the engine showing the "banjo" like thing plus the three small pipes and one fat one coming off it to the oil pump, also the top of the oil filter can be seen next to the oil level indicator, kind of a non removable dip-stick but using a float.

spacer.png

• Like 2