Waiting for a train

Hello everybody.

This will be my first entry for a hopefully successful blog building a train that can carry my Tigers I

Been around with this build on Armorama, but it would be nice to share this over here as well.

Waiting for the new released Sabre Models Ssyms 80 tons Schwerlastwagen, to carry my Tigers I, I first have to finish them.

Some pictures below show the state for both. Original RFM kits are the Fehrmann Tigers. But I left them all blanc, (except for the Zimmerrit), to decide what to add later, or to remove.

Intention is to show a pretty worn-out couple of Tigers, ready to get on the train. Number one has steel road wheels, number two has rubber on and provided with transport tracks from Friul Models. 

Number one. Steel road wheels, Zimmerrit from ATAK for a Fehrmann Tiger I. Original kit tracks, pretty ok to handle.

spacer.png

One is lucky to buy this set from ATAK, buying 2 RFM kits, you can make 2 versions out of one set, if you want. 

Washes and weathering are still in progress, but close to get a final matte layer.

Next is how the second looks like right now. Details on the hull will show up later, applying hairspray. For the paint job I did not made any decisionb yet, we will see. Turret I will show later, not completed yet and missing the barrel, for the reason I'm a bit confused on that one. 

spacer.png

For Tiger number 2, I had to do some surgery on the mudguards, cut the parts and hinged it for transport. Exposed flange attachments come from E.T. Models, mixed with RFM kit parts, tracks are from Friul Model. 

Number one.

spacer.png

Number two

spacer.png

Hope you like it.

Meantime I'm waiting for a train to arrive.

Have a nice evening,

Robert Jan

Edited by Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast
grammar
  • Like 17

It is the season one can not plan anything outside. Rain Season. Humidity to extremes and a very disappointed modeler. So what to do? Little jobs like fixing details, reading, cleaning and composing with loads for the Büssing NAG 4500L. 
The loads are resin and come from Value Gear. Nice but heavy for a styrene truck. But she holds it with pride.
I painted them as side projects while waiting, etc. Fuel drums come from AFV Club. Excellent and easy to scratch later on. Büssing is almost ready now. Time to weather the cabin. Rear is in progress with a lot of wood. Too much and hand painting touches of grey will do the trick. 
Pictures of the loads in progress and loaded on the truck.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had a lot of fun doing these mini projects.
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Büssing NAG 4500L front. except for the wipers, all is glued on now.

spacer.png

Tomorrow my tracks come in  from MiniArt so I can start making measurements on heights for the loading platform.

Hope you'll like this intermezzo. In the end it will all come together on the platform, loading a train.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• Like 9

Thanks Ozzy for the heads up. The Sabres are coming and I can't wait either to open those boxes. Meantime I have loads to build to get the platform busy with trucks  and other materials. Will post some more on what I'm planning for the train later today. Now I have to prepare for work.

Until next time.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• Like 1

Thanks Nikolay. Thanks for looking in. Seen and followed your T-34 build behind the scenes so far.

I think Zvezda made some nice kits over the last years.

Next truck that is up after finishing some other longtime projects, will be their Mercedes L4500A. I did one 6 years ago, converted to a Rail Truck. Used a Plus Model set for that, very cool stuff. Now I have two more sets again. One for the Mercedes for sure. Other one I did not decide yet, most probably a Büssing NAG L500A, we'll see.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan 

Hello all.

So my Sabre Models hit the soil of Thailand today, now waiting for delivery. 

With lots of business on tracks, a big loco needs a lot of space. So I decided to build shunters the Germans used, calling them Rail Trucks. In 2013 I did a conversion with a Zvezda kit of the Mercedes L4500A and the Plus Model kit to actually build one. I got my hands on two set last month ordered two Zvezda kit, so number one will start here. The reason I bought two is because pictures show them operate as a team to handle the heavy loads on tracks. Pictures below will show what I mean.

All pictures come from this site: http://www.eisenbahnstiftung.de/bildergalerie/Reichsbahn im Krieg or I picked them up from Missing-Lynx, Flickr, etc. All for discussion purposes only.

Mercedes I want to b build looks like this.spacer.png

When you look at the back, the other truck is coupled in reverse

I will be using this.

spacer.png

Some more Mercedes Rail Trucks, note that they are still on normal rubber tires.

spacer.png

There were lots of other manufacturers  , like Büssing NAG, Faun, Henschel and Magirus building Rail Trucks, but kits to build a decent bigger Büssing 650,  or a Magirus are simply not available(not yet).

So I stick to this Mercedes L4500A converted with Plus Model set.

As mentioned, I did this one before, joining the  Steel Wheels campaign on Armorama, think around 2012 / 2013, and I had a lot of fun with this excellent couple of kits building up a Rail Truck. 

Have a nice weekend.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan 

spelling
  • Like 2

YES my Modeling Candy has arrived. A quick Skype to my staff and it was delivered right to my doorstep. Thanks Miss Pan & Mr. Weerachart.

Will do an inbox review later this week, first have to sort out some other things. 

spacer.png

Modeling Extasy.

Took a peek inside, I was very interested in the new tracks, so took them out first to compare with MiniArt tracks.

Manual is pretty cool. Looks like Sabre Models had a real kick in the bottom for presentation. It's a Pro Kit after all.

Will show all of this candy later on this week.

I'm a very happy man now.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan 

• Like 5

Thank you Andrew. Can't wait to get started. But first I need some planning to work out. The SSyms has minor detail under the deck. Sabre Models is on a way to improve their kits, but the kits lack of good detail for brake systems. For this kit they added a sprue from the Ommr with some tanks and a valve. Looks like they do not understand differences in braking systems. Sprue provided is a Gunze Knorr system. SSyms 80tons have Hildebrandt Knorr brake systems. like the lighter SSys 50tons. So I need to figure out how to replicate that for the 80tons.

This is how it looks under a SSys.spacer.png

Still improving this one, as I find more references every once in a while. I used resin upgrade sets from from LZ for this one. A number two is in the make too, so I'm glad I ordered some extra sets then. Hard to get them nowadays.

spacer.png

Bogies have all the details and are connected to the brake system.

spacer.png

Have been working on these for almost 2 years now. This is the master model. Progress on the second one is much better. All detail work, except for the valves and pressure tank is scratch build. I made copies of the original parts but it's still a lot of work cutting all the levers.

spacer.png

Detail WIP on unpainted bogie. Sabre only provided the triangular for the brake pads. So lots to add to get it correct. 

spacer.png

Old fine liner does a pretty 1/35 scale air tank. So for the coming SSyms it even gets more complicated, having  3 axle bogies. See how that goes.

spacer.png

View under the platform. You have to create a wooden bed by yourself. Topside looks ok, but needs sone work too. And again, for their new kit my scriber will be very useful.

Let's get some sleep now.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan 

Spelling
  • Like 6

Ok. Let's start with opening the box and see what is inside.
I will give some comments on the manual at first and on Friday the sprue count and details, but during the build it will have more effect I believe to get really into detail. Anyway, here we go.

Manual for the SSyms 80tons.
Front page, has some class of its own. big improvement over their earlier releases!
 spacer.png
Page 0 & 1. Symbols for do's & don't, inventory and the first 3 steps of assembly.

spacer.png 
Page 2 & 3. Building steps 4 up to 8. Lots of zooming for attention on cutting and applying PE. Tricky is the fact that Sabre uses only 2 moulded sides for the main structure of the wagon, multiplied by 2. This makes you clean the inside of both sides. They explain that in color and where to cut, big improvement. SSys kit was very vague on that part of the build.
 spacer.png
Page 4 & 5.
Covers building steps 9 up to 11. From this point assembly for me is a point of discussion. They want you to install the braking system, which is not correct.
In a later post I will explain why. A lot of PE needs to be installed for the loading deck, looks very good!

spacer.png
Page 6 up to 9.
Same as the above. A lot of detail comes from PE and nice detailed parts in styrene. when finished the steps 12 up to 16, the loading deck will almost be complete. 
spacer.png
 spacer.png
Very big plus are the detail pictures of the real thing.
 spacer.png
Page 10 up to 13.
Step 17 finally makes you start with the 3 axle bogies. In a later post I will show the real thing from a German archive site. They did a real cool job on the outside details. But that's about it, except from the brake shoes and triangles, there is no further detail. When completing the the 2 bogies, final details come to the sides of the wagon and loading deck. All very well explained with super detailed drawings, optional setups of transport equipment, etc. When step 26 is finished, the deck is connected with the bogies.
 spacer.png
 spacer.png
Page 14 & 15.
These pages show the final assembly of the SSyms.
I am in awe how they presented that. Tips and tricks for the coupling, making a realistic air hose, the wooden stoppers and how to secure a Tiger to the loading deck. Nice close ups from the real thing combined with good instructions.
 spacer.png
 spacer.png
Last pages have no numbers and show marking & painting scheme. Colors needed are given in: Color Name, FS/RAL Standard, and paint codes from VIC. Tamiya - Mr. Hobby - Valleyo.
 spacer.png
 spacer.png
Backside of the manual presents the CAD's we already know with some commercial announcements of course.
 spacer.png

So tomorrow I will show the count of sprue and some interesting details on parts and a comparison for the tracks provided with two other brands.
Speaking of tracks, Sabre provides a separate sheet for assembly. 
Straight tracks
 spacer.png
How to make a radius from straight tracks
 spacer.png
There is also a correction, size credit card, sheet for step 8 & 9.
 spacer.png

More to come on Friday.

Now something a little different. 
Whilst doing the dishes earlier this week, I decided to remove the smudge from both Tigers. Cleaned them and gave them a decent base coat. 
Thanks Dioramartin to give me the insight / kick in the bottom.
Much happier with the Tigers now.
Tiger 1
 spacer.png

spacer.png
 spacer.png

spacer.png
Tiger 2
 spacer.png
 spacer.png
 spacer.png
 spacer.png

Any comment or advise is welcome to push my lacking skills, building decent Tigers to higher levels.
See how I can fix the front and back fenders of Tiger 2. They are indeed thick when you zoom in. Maybe replace them with PE or make my own from Aluminum sheet, will see. Thanks for the tip Silenoz!

Kind regards,

Robert Jan  

• Like 6

Hello all.

Please have some patience with second part of the review. It's been a wonderful weekend, sunny days and the humidity was just perfect to do a lot of airbrushing. Very rare in Thailand during the rain season. Had to take this opportunity.

Will show some pictures of what I did later, as it is all part of waiting for that train.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan 

Let us start with the bogies for the SSyms.

Little history...

Sorry it's in German language.

Deutsche Reichsbahn/Deutsche Bundesbahn, Bauart 928 
Für den Transport schwerer Panzerfahrzeuge wurde 1942 die Flachwagen des Gattung SSyms Köln (zuletzt: Sammp 705) entwickelt und gebaut. Auf der Basis der Konstruktionsprinzipien der zweiachsigen Pressblech-Drehgestelle der Einheitsbauart (Pressblech-Bauweise, Laschengehänge) wurde für diese Wagen ein dreiachsiges Drehgestell entwickelt. 
Diese Drehgestelle, die bei der Deutschen Bundesbahn unter der Bauartnummer 928 geführt wurden, erhielten teils 7-, teils 8-lagige Federn. Nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg traten auch bei diesen Drehgestellen - ähnlich wie bei den zweiachsigen Pressblech-Drehgestellen - Risse auf. Daraufhin wurden die Drehgestelle an verschiedenen Stellen, äußerlich sichtbar zum Teil an den Untergurten, verstärkt.

Ähnliche Drehgestelle wurden für Kondenstender gebaut. Diese Drehgestelle erhielten 10-lagige Blattfedern (Querschnitt 90 x 13 mm). Die mittlere Achse war nicht gebremst. Weitere Unterschiede bestanden in der Ausführung der inneren Rahmenbauteile. Anfang der Fünzigerjahre wurden die Kondenstender zu Selbstentlade-Großraumwagen KKt 44, KKt 46 und OOt 53 umgebaut. 
spacer.png

3-achsiges Pressblech-Drehgestell Bauart 928 nach Zeichnung Fwg 506.04.1 
  Laufkreisdurchmesser: 940 mm, 7-lagige Blattfedern, gestreckte Länge 1000 mm, Querschnitt: 90 x 13 mm

Skizze: Hermann Jahn, auf Grundlage der Zeichnung in der DV 939

Following Nacho Roches on  Missing-Lynx, he started this Drehgestell from scratch. Amazing details he showed from references. Comparing to the old Trumpeter kit he managed to get it almost perfect. Almost? By the time it became very interesting, I think he was invited to join Sabre Models team for technical assistance and support. His name is proudly presented on the box, together with Nick Tebbs. No further activity on that build, hope he will pick it up some time in future.

The loading bed for this wagon were also a big deal of the findings and discussion in that build log.

I bought the T-Model release of the SSyms, just before Sabre announced this kit and I had some good hopes. A clear / blanco kit, ideal for scratch building, like the former Ssys from Sabre. 

I will build those for sure, maybe for comparison and they can / will lean on the clear details shown from the Sabre kit.

Now if you look at the drawing and watch the wheels, you might want to see if that is represented correctly in 1/35 scale. NO!

More on that soon. I have to do some clearance on my desk tomorrow and lay out the tracks to explain this.

Kind regards, 

Robert Jan

Forgot something
  • Like 2

Let's continue the review with the provided tracks from Sabre Models.

Like mentioned before I was very focussed on their new tracks. My first hurrays, these fit with the Miniart European Gauge. spacer.png

Left are the MiniArt tracks connected to the new Sabre tracks. Fit is perfect. On this picture you see also the different molding of the sleepers. MiniArt looks are from new and solid Oak sleepers. Sabre molds a more worn and damaged sleeper. Also the size difference of the bolts is very noticeable. Mounting plates are same size.

Sabre provides both bolts mounted on either side of the track. MiniArt makes you add a separate bolt on the inside on each track mount. Nice! Will explain later why.

Positioning wheels on the new tracks. One would expect that fits. No! 

spacer.png

Front axle comes from Thunder Models G10 wagon. Fit out of the box is ok. In the back you see the old axle version from Sabre. To narrow and it slips of the rail heads. My finished bogies both have the same problem.

spacer.png 

This is the underside of Sabre Model's Ommr Flatbed. Wheels have extended hubs on the inside. This makes them adjustable, (hurrays part 2) and it is good to know the SSyms kit has them too. Hurray!

spacer.png

Fit is just perfect!

spacer.png

Before I switch subject it is important to know that the old tracks from Sabre can not be mixed with the new ones. 

The are simply different in dimension. The old rail is 1.5 mm higher and the sleepers are longer and are missing the bolt details.

spacer.png

Comparing with the new ones, it's obvious you want them.

spacer.png

Last but not least. A third player has also some very nice detail. The dark grey tracks and sleepers are from T-Model. Taking a close look you see the problem, these are too wide. Sleepers are very well molded though, but it would cost a lot of work to fit them with the Sabre or MiniArt tracks.

spacer.png 

Having the SSyms from both brands, T-Model and the new Sabre Model kit, it is clear you want to compare some basic sizes.

Bogie sides from T-Model and Sabre Model

spacer.png

On top the T-Model version, bottom the Sabre Model rendition. Besides the color and different ways of detailing, they are like twins.

spacer.png

Siamese Twins

The loading beds, perfect in size, but different in details. Sabre is more complete in this case comparing to the T-Model version.

spacer.png

Left the Sabre bed, right the T-Model bed. Both tapered, width and length are the same. Opening at the tapered side of the Sabre bed is for detailing the mechanism for securing the vehicles on top.

First jump to conclusions from my side. The tracks from Sabre are ok, which also goes for the MiniArt. Combining them would be easy, but I doubt it looks realistic.

So I have to make a decision which one to use. T-Model and old Sabre are no option, except for the sleepers from T-Model. With some scratch work and new mounting plates it might make them useful.

Part 3 will follow later on this evening, have some house holding tasks to finish,

spacer.png

Cheers,

Robert Jan

Spelling
  • Like 5

Third and completing the review for the kit is showing what the sprue count and quality is.

Yesterday I already made some comparison with T-Model. I'll leave that out for today. I decided to build them side by side, that will be a visible and hopefully better approach.

Sprue with tracks. Talked about it yesterday. If you look close you see LEGO like points for stacking. Part of very smart engineering.

spacer.png

Sabre Models only do this? No T-Model had that already. See the pics below, top is Sabre Models, bottom is T-Model.

spacer.png

LEGO Science...

spacer.png

DUPLO Science...

Think this needs some BIG HURRAYS.

Next parts on  a Sprue!  You get and need 2 of these sets. Dark plastics are added to complete the older molding from earlier released models, like SSys and Ommr. 

spacer.png

For the Platform or Loading bed and all the beams / crossbeams etc. sprue count is 2.

spacer.png

You  even get some spares.... Only one wheel extra?.. Engineering at it's best! 

Sprue that also comes in a group of 4.

A lot of parts needed for the basic structure come from these 4. Detail is good overall although the  plastic is a little soft.

PE is used to add that extra detail nowadays. Sabre Models managed to add good detail using the PE. Quality of the PE is good, not to thin like e.g.Bronco (sorry for that FAB). 

spacer.png

Do we have something more to show?

Yes! That detail under the platform, called the brake system.

spacer.png

This is what Sabre Models adds to the kit. Sprue comes from the Ommr (Triangle shape belly). You see some parts that actually are ok. Valves and also the Handbrake installation, which can be folded down. The detail of parts is ok, but the brake system parts  need a total different plan / layout for locating them under the platform. For the Air Tank I even doubt if it is the right size for such a big and heavy wagon (means I'm pretty sure about that).

So, last but not least...  

This is how it should look like.

spacer.png

Ok, this looks very complicated and where to begin this jungle of levers, tanks, valves, bolts and nuts.  

Shown is the Hildebrandt Knorr (HIK) brake system. In this case for a 2 axle wagon.

Principle of Levers, Valves , Push rods and Air Tanks are the same. When building the kit it is very easy to show where you reference points are to create a realistic brake system like this.

The original PDF let you build this layer over layer. Will show that during the build.

BTW...I got this PDF as a free download from ASOA, a German Railroad Modeling E-shop. Also a GREAT source for other detail stuff!

Next time I hope to show some initial cutting and preparations in plastics and some dry fitting of parts for the SSyms. Looking forward to that.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

a lot of errors
  • Like 4

Thanks for looking in Rob. It will be a long and challenging build.

Looking forward to start with this kit. Hope to show some progress over the next week.

Some cleaning to do on my desk and finish some other stuff.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan