American Jabo, Tamiya 1/48 P-47D Razorback 9th Air Force

Fantastic progress Craig. You have achieved a nicely realistic finish on the engine. And good to see everything assembled too. Looking forward to seeing the airframe with the metallic paintwork going on. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

Drat, I totally forgot about the midland model show at cov Sunday, on the upside though its saved me some coin, your  p47 is now moving along very well Craig, looks a thoroughly enjoyable build

• Like 1

Not got as far as I had hoped over the last few days but she is starting to look a lot more like an operational P-47, and I have actually settled on a scheme! After  giving everything a nice shiny coat of gloss black it was time to apply the metallic finish for which I have used Vallejo's acrylic range and in particular their chrome colour, I really like these paints as they give a nice finish which is quite hard wearing and don't stink the house out when you use them. After the chrome was dry I masked off some areas where red was to be applied and gave them a covering using Revell's acrylic colours. Here is a pic of how she looks at the moment;

spacer.png

Might mask off a couple of areas and give them a slightly different finish and also need to mask for the invasion stripes and the olive drab anti glare panel.

The cowling and flaps were also masked and painted red where appropriate;

spacer.png

And finally here is a picture of the scheme I will be finishing her in;

spacer.png

Col Magoffin was the CO of the 362nd Fighter Group and he was shot down in this aircraft on August 10th and taken prisoner, he was liberated from a hospital in Paris in September and returned to the US for further treatment of his injuries, he retired from the USAF on medical grounds on March 18th 1958.

Thats it for today, thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Like your choice of scheme Craig.

Your chrome looks stunning and sets off the red nicely.

Thanks Robert, they really do complement each other quite well don't they.

48 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Well the metallic finish looks stunning Craig! Excellent progress. 

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, managed to get the white portion of the stripes done today so hopefully I will get the black parts done in the next day or two.

• Like 2

Sorry for the absence for a while, had quite a bit of "life" getting in the way recently, and the small matter of running another GB. Fear not though for I really want to finish this one and have been enjoying the build, and making some progress. The main painting is now all complete including the all important stripes but unfortunately Flickr isn't working properly, not sure what is going on but it won't let me select my own pictures, hopefully it will sort itself out very soon.

• Like 1

Right then, looks like Flickr have got their respective thumbs out of their rears and have sorted the problem so here we go with yesterdays pictures!

We will start with a shot of the upper surfaces which show the coloured top of the tail and the (hopefully) faded look of the anti glare panel;

spacer.png

And the all important undersides with the stripes, which need a little cleaning up;

spacer.png

And the engine cowling which has a bit of the anti glare OD and the units red colouring;

spacer.png

Next job will be to start applying some coats of varnish, then the decals can go on.

Thats it for today, thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 4

Cheers Glynn, I've got the decals on and have been doing panel line washes. The decals have all gone on very well except for the nose art which is having trouble conforming to the contours of the nose cowling, I'll post some pics tomorrow when I've hopefully beaten it into submission.

• Like 2

Time for the photos of how she looks at the minute.

The nose art decal still needs a bit more work but it is looking pretty good;

spacer.png

The national markings on the port side of the fuselage gave a little trouble on one side as I forgot to pre-cut them but they just need a small amount of touching up and then it will be okay;

spacer.png

The undersides are nearly complete and have had the markings and a wash applied and now look like this;

spacer.png

A close up of the national marking area;

spacer.png

And an over all shot of the model as she looks now from above;

spacer.png

I still need to a bit more weathering on the upper and lower surfaces but she is definitely moving in the right direction.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not giving this build the attention it deserves but I've been a bit busy with the Asian 80's GB, however I have made the most of what has been an incredibly wet weekend (only 2 days after the hottest day in the country's history, only in England!) and have managed to get my P-47 over the line! I really must give Tamiya the credit they are due for making what is probably the most hassle free and rewarding model I have ever built, for those of you who have not yet built one all I can say is go and treat yourself as you will not be disappointed. As it has actually stopped raining now (apparently for one day only) I made the most of it and took my P-47 outside for some shots in the sunshine, so here they are;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally a look at that troublesome nose art decal which I finally managed to "persuade" to conform to the contours the the nose.

spacer.png

And that's it!

A huge thank you to Robert for getting this very important GB going and doing a great job of looking after us all, and a big thank you to all of you who have taken the time to look in on my build during it's progress and have been very patient lately, and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received. I shall stick some pics in the gallery.

Craig.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

WOW!! That really is a stunning looking P-47D Craig!! Your silver metallic paintwork finish is very impressive and I really love your subtle weathering! Awesome work all round! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1