Desert Storm PROWLER (Hasegawa 1/72 EA-6B w/Super Bug resin cockpit)

This was my oldest 'stalled' project--or 'shelf queen'--having been started in 2014, assembled to about 90% completion (including canopy on, masked and primed)...then stopped for reasons I can't begin to remember.

The inspiration dates back to a color photo of the same a/c in the late lamented World Air Power Journal, published shortly after the conclusion of the Gulf War. VAQ-137 'Rooks' were part of CVW-1 flying from USS America (CV-66) during Desert Storm, the only EA-6B squadron to operate from both the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf. In addition to regular ECM missions, the squadron's aircraft fired 30 AGM-88 HARM missiles in support of Coalition Forces. #622 was credited with 7 of those launches.

Super Scale did a sheet of three Desert Storm Prowlers in 1/72 scale shortly thereafter, and fortunately this aircraft was one of those covered.

After breaking out the kit several weeks ago and getting going again, the project was pretty smooth sailing. Various mixes of Tamiya acrylics did nicely for the patchy/weathered and spot-repainted look common to USN aircraft in the modern 'all gray' era. The Super Scale decals were slightly over-large in places, but for being close to twenty years old, went on like a dream with not a single crack, split or dissolve. (Whew!)

Only aftermarket used was the Super Bug resin cockpit (which was gorgeous and easy to use, with probably the best-cast seats I've ever seen) and a pair of HARMs from the old Italeri US/NATO ordnance set (w/scratch-built launch rails).

My only real difficulty arose after removing the ancient masking, which had ever-so-slightly etched the clear surfaces in spots to a fine haze, and left rough and crackly frame lines. (I know, I know...I actually do know better than to leave it on for so long!) A little judicious buffing and some Future took care of the haze. As to the frames...fortunately one of my 'old dog' tricks--learned the hard way through the years--is to spray up some decal stock in the various colors I use, against this very possibility. I managed to cut strips and restore the frames to something close to decent without too much trauma.

The canopy actually has a slight copper/smoke tint applied, though it doesn't show up that well in the finished shots. Photos of the original a/c depicted show the 'real' tint to be fairly inconspicuous, just appearing to darken the canopies a bit. I followed that pattern, not wanting to obscure the lovely interior, since she was to be finished and displayed as 'buttoned up.'

Last note: I must have scavenged the kit's drop tanks for some other project, at some point. The loadout depicted should have a fuel tank on the port inboard pylon; until I can find a replacement, I added an extra ALQ-99 pod on that station, just to 'fill it out' for the pics.

Enjoy!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 39

11 hours ago, kapam said:

An excellent build!

I have a few "shelf queens" of my own, and your superb work certainly prods my conscience.

:goodjob:

Thanks, Gents!

I wasn't really intending to 'prod' anything....:blink:

It just always feels good to rescue an old project from self-imposed oblivion!

Thanks for all the kind words.

Funny the things one notices in photos that went un-noticed in hours of staring at the 'real thing' [the model, that is]. I went back and adjusted the angle of the refueling probe to more closely match the 'real' real thing!

Looks great, fantastic job on the "patchwork" that weathered TPS grays become.

I can't tell from the photos, are the AGM-88s painted white or light gray? It's a little-known fact that the real thing are actually FS36622 gray (often appearing as white).

• Thanks 1

Much appreciated!

18 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

I can't tell from the photos, are the AGM-88s painted white or light gray? It's a little-known fact that the real thing are actually FS36622 gray (often appearing as white). 

Good catch on that, they are indeed the proper gray. I added white to the last drops of gray in the cup, at the end of one of my spray sessions. (You can sort of see it right at the edge of the photo in the one o'clock 'cockpit' shot.)

WOW!  Beautiful job!  I too have this kit along with the Super Bug cockpit and just need to get the seamless intakes and "Banshees" decals to get mine done.  Great inspiration, Bravo Zulu! (Well Done!).

WARDOG

• Thanks 1