Trumpeter 1/32 SU 27 Flanker

Hello all ive never built a trumpeter before but the quality and fit of this kit made it very enjoyable to build without the need for much sanding or filler. I planned to try some techiques such as black basing and blue tack 'roles' to paint the camo. Ive never really had resin detailed parts before but we will see how it goes.

IMG_1727

I was really impressed with the detail and was sort of transitioning from enamel paints to acrylic and it was at this stage i decided to start with acrylics. So much easier to clean and quicker to dry!! First i tackled the cockpit, seat and HUD. The swap to acrylic was proving to be the right move as i was able to move forward quickly without an airbrush to clean and paint to dry!!

IMG_1729

IMG_1742

IMG_1746

The seat belts were VERY fidly but patience prevailed lol. I also used a wash to add some depth to the controls and some dry brushing here and there.

IMG_1758

And that was it after a few hours lol time flies when your having fun. To trim the resin i used a dremmel. Remember to wear a mask!!! Next i started on the actual fuselage and as you can see i cut to far!! Broke my own rule of dry fit first!! or fit before you cut in this case.

IMG_1780

Made myself a bit more work but atleast it was recoverable!!

IMG_1785

After a bit of sanding and protective tape, it was all good. Next i moved onto the intakes which again fitted really well.

IMG_1951

No point in painting the turbines as the wouldnt be seen. But i did anyway lol. I then fitted both parts of the fuselage together and this is where my research was not enough!! MAKE SURE you trim the bottom of the cockpit and the top of the wheel well or it wont fit. also the wing roots need sanding or you will have a step where the wing join. I found this out later and once again made myself some extra work. This plane is BIG by the way.

IMG_2122

Next i decided to tackle the engines as this these were the reason i decided on a flanker. I was always impressed by other peoples use of colours and how good they looked. I used Alclad for this bit with Maskol. If i done it again i wouldnt of fitted the vertical fins before this stage as it made airbrushing a pain.

IMG_2331

the Maskol done its job!

IMG_2333

Any small problems ill fix later on. I also wanted the air brake open so i painted the inside as well. Next i started on the under carriage. a bit of preshading and then a wash to bring out the detail.

IMG_2341

As i said at the beginning, i wanted to try black basing and the effect was quite good in my opinion lol.

098E2816-9E16-44CC-8743-3CFFC1CF8514

Again, same with the wheels, airbrushed then a wash applied to bring out the detail.

IMG_2312

After dipping all the clear parts in pledge floor polish, i masked up the canopy and glued it down. point to note, i did mess this bit up a bit. dont glue the canopy next to the rails as it will stand proud of the main bit (the part that lifts up). Again i filled and smoothed out the gaps.

IMG_2356

IMG_2379

I decided to go for canopy closed as i couldnt work out how the thing worked lol. Once i had checked it all over and masked up what needed to be masked i gave it a coat of Vallejo primer and it now looks like the bat wing!

IMG_2423

Well thats it for now as my eyes are aching!! ill get some more on tomorrow.

• Like 12

Thanks exdraken, i have finnished it (took 3 months on and off lol) but i found it very helpfull reading other peoples experience with the kit which is what im hoping to do here. Well, on with the build. As i said i wanted to try black basing and the effect was quite good. Looking back i think i would of left the panel lines a bit more shaded.

IMG_2433

IMG_2435

IMG_2436

The trick was to just keep layering with thin coats untill it blended.

IMG_2438

IMG_2440

Once the bottom was done i sort of 'reversed preshading' and instead of shading the panel lines i highlighted the panels lines instead.

IMG_2466

Next came the camo itself and blue tack was used to give softer edges. Again lots of thinned coats. I used the Vallejo flanker pack.

IMG_2470

IMG_2471

I masked off the rear DAS as i think they look better this way than painting them all as one.

IMG_2543

After taking of the masking, its starting to look how it should.

IMG_2544

After looking at some ref photos, i decided to go with the white nose and tail fins.

IMG_2556

IMG_2560

Again i was willing to try something new and hope to god it didnt go wrong. I thought i would try Flory Models clay wash as it had good reviews about drying quick and was easy to wipe off.

IMG_2562

I was really happy with the result, damp kitchen role and it came right off!!

IMG_2565

Same with the bottom!!

IMG_2570

The detail of the kit is really starting to show. I started back on the engine exhausts which as i said earlier was the reason i built the kit because of the colours, i just hoped i could get it right. I used a mixture of Alclads and Tamiya clear blue.

IMG_2580

Edited by Stelangton
  • Like 1

IMG_2581

At this point i was trying to gradually add colour on top of the metals.

IMG_2583

After some clear blue.

IMG_2585

I wasnt to happy as it looked 'too blue' so i started adding some other colours.

IMG_2609

I then went on to dry brushing with silver and also adding some raw umber oil which done the trick to make the exhausts look burnt.

IMG_2624

I was much happier after applying a wash to once again bring out the detail of the kit.

IMG_2626

And that was it for the engines! now for lots of alclad aqua gloss befor decals.

IMG_2651

The decals went on really well using microsol and microset. the only one to look out for are the two big red squares which i cut into 4 strips to make life easier.

IMG_2707

IMG_2718

IMG_2719

All done!! The decals looked a little 'new' compared to the rest so i REALLY thinned down some grey and lightly sprayed over them to look a bit more worn.  Now for the undercarriage. This was probably the most detailed kit ive seen and there was a choice to use metal parts, so i did lol. i polished the visible bits and sprayed everything else then added a wash. Think there was 16 bits to the front strut lol. I painted the light silver then added the lens that i had dipped in pledge.

IMG_2769

After removing the masking from the canopy, some of the detail could still be seen.

IMG_2815

I then fitted the undercarriage and also the missiles which again were VERY detailed and took some time. I used electrical tape for the stripes as it was a nightmare getting the decals to match up.

IMG_2954

IMG_2955

I filed down the lens on the front as i thought it looked to chunky. After adding some hydraulic fluid leaks and a bit more weathering, that was it. A thoroughly enjoyable build.

IMG_2961

Ive put some more on the 'ready for inpsection' section. Hopefully if you build this kit you will be a bit more prepared and not get caught out like i did!!

• Like 3