First look at IBG's new 1/700 HMS Ithuriel and ORP Garland

MikeR

Hi peeps,

I found an in box review of IBG Models 1/700 HMS Ithuriel: LINK and ORP Garland: LINK. Both are in Polish but the images are nice and clear. From what I can see the mouldings appear finer than IBG's Hunts and like them photoetch comes as standard. Naturally they aren't up to FlyHawk's standard but they should be a good basis for those who want to add more detail.

Mike.:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

Hi peeps,

I found an in box review of IBG Models 1/700 HMS Ithuriel: LINK and ORP Garland: LINK. Both are in Polish but the images are nice and clear. From what I can see the mouldings appear finer than IBG's Hunts and like them photoetch comes as standard. Naturally they aren't up to FlyHawk's standard but they should be a good basis for those who want to add more detail.

It looks nice 

It's a pity they're still aiming at coffee coloured MS4 and "light grey green" MS4A. They really do look weird once the real thing has been seen.

Word will filter through to kit manufacturers eventually, I hope.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I fear it will take many years if not decades to overwrite the lasting effect of many volumes written with false if well-intended information.  In 60 years of modeling (if mainly aircraft) this has been brought home many times.  To this day people will pick up older references  - well-beloved in their time or less so - and treat what is written there as gospel.  I'm sorry if this is a bit dispiriting, but it is real.

I suspect that it will take the appearance of a good and probably hefty work on the subject, that can become the default reference in the years to come, to change matters.  A few softback monographs soon disappear.  Websites are ephemeral.  A paint manufacturer obviously has his own flag to fly.  I've painted them this way for years. They just look better with a wider range of colours.  These are among the many factors slowing down the rate of change.  Just being right is not enough, though you can always hope to win in the long run.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It looks nice 

It's a pity they're still aiming at coffee coloured MS4 and "light grey green" MS4A. They really do look weird once the real thing has been seen.

I think Graham's "on the money" about overcoming decades of accepted wisdom. I also think that the restrictions on shipping paint around must also play a part. I'll take a guess and speculate that IBG have gone for listing Lifecolor and Hataka paints as those are readily available in Poland whilst Colourcoats aren't - I don't think you have a distributer there? Short of contacting the kit manufacturers directly and sharing your colour research with other paint manufacturers (and effectively destroying your own business thereby) I'm not sure how to get around it.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Are the parts provided identical in each boxing for building of the different class options offered?  I.e. both early and late war armament and radar fits?

Not by the look of it - the sprue with the hull and the decal sheet appear to be common to all but the rest seem to be ship specific.

Mike.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I fear it will take many years if not decades to overwrite the lasting effect of many volumes written with false if well-intended information.  In 60 years of modeling (if mainly aircraft) this has been brought home many times.  To this day people will pick up older references  - well-beloved in their time or less so - and treat what is written there as gospel.  I'm sorry if this is a bit dispiriting, but it is real.

I suspect that it will take the appearance of a good and probably hefty work on the subject, that can become the default reference in the years to come, to change matters.  A few softback monographs soon disappear.  Websites are ephemeral.  A paint manufacturer obviously has his own flag to fly.  I've painted them this way for years. They just look better with a wider range of colours.  These are among the many factors slowing down the rate of change.  Just being right is not enough, though you can always hope to win in the long run.

You're spot on I think.

Some time last year, @dickrd mooted that he might be willing to author a printed book on the subject, but so far I think early retirement has seen him as busy as ever! :D Richard, if you do want to, it could be a volume with painted rather than printed chips you know :)

21 hours ago, MikeR said:

Hi peeps,

We'll have the kits in stock tomorrow and hope to get a few more in for next week.

than

ks

Mike

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It looks nice 

Question is though, are the colours they suggest right? By that I mean the names of the colours and not the shade they are on the painting diagram.

thanks

Mike

Yep, I received notification from Hannants on Tuesday that they had them in stock. I'll be getting the Ithuriel (to be modified into the Intrepd) but I have a few things in my watch list that I suspect might appear soon so I've held off ordering for now.

Mike.

Another thought has occurred after seeing the pics of the Ithuriel kit. HMS Ithuriel was not part of the original RN batch of I class, she was one of four being built for Turkey. According to the Wiki entry for the I class, the ships lost a set of TT and had a 3 inch HA gun fitted  (plus other mods). Wiki says the ex Turkish ships were similarly modified but the kit has both sets of TT's, so which is right?  Also note, the second I class they will do is HMS Ilex, which was part of the original RN class, so it'll be interesting to see if there's any differences in that kit.

thanks

Mike

Dear Mike,

No idea re Ithuriel’s colours. Those colours are what Alan Raven suggested on page 5 of his WP2 booklet. But two sets of TT’s is correct I think – see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rp16774-Royal-Navy-Warship-HMS-Ithuriel-H05-photo-6x4-/362346061265

Re Garland, in principle it would not have been Western Approaches Blue in 1944 but B55. But more than that, although I think they have the camouflage design correct for 1944, in the photos I have seen of her in the Med in 1944 the lightest tone does not look white but a light grey perhaps 507C and so the darker toned panels would have to have been something darker than that ruling out B55. I have photos of a number of destroyers that had been transferred from the Home Fleet/Atlantic to work in the Med 1943/44 wearing their WA camouflage design but using darker colour paints.

• Like 2