Warsaw Pact AFV and other vehicle colours

MikeR

Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me some guidence as to what colour(s) were typical for Warsaw Pact equipment? I know that the East German's used a brighter green similar to the current 6003 in the RAL Colour Chart but what did the others use? The same as the Soviets or did they have their own favoured shade of green?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.:)

I know, I know - "In Soviet Union correct shade of green chooses you!":P

I'm just curious as to whether the Non-Soviet Warsaw Pact members also used the same general shade(s) as the USSR. My own gut feeling is probably but I know that Czechoslovakia, Poland and Romania produced their own vehicles so they must have had their own colour standards?

Mike.

• Haha 1

AFAIK the Warsaw Pact all used the same standard NPF-10 green (or a similar locally produced variant), but as the above picture demonstrates the "same" is relative though. So if you want to add some variation to your models you could apply different filters etc & I doubt anyone would complain. Non Warsaw Pact users in Asia & Africa would often apply their own camouflage colours but the base colour would generally remain the original NPF-10 though.

There is also the matter of the Chinese produced copies too, which used a different colour that looks more like the war-time 4BO IMO.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

Cool, thanks!B)

I'm currently contemplating building a collection of upgraded T-55's of different WarPac members using the Takom T-55AM2B as a base. From what I can see the kit has the majority of what's needed to build the Czech and Hungarian "Kladivo" vehicles whilst some fairly minor alterations will be required to produce the Bulgarian Soviet-built but Kladivo-equipped T-55AM2's. A Romanian vehicle can be built using the T-55AM boxing OOB as far as I can tell. As for the Poles, they would have to be different, of course! That upgrade's going to take a bit of thought.:hmmm:

The biggest niggle will be the markings for the Hungarians, Bulgarians and Romanians.

Mike.

The Takom T-55A and T-55AM2B both include all the parts necessary for the Czechoslovak engine deck. Their ItPsv 90 Marksman has those for the Polish version minus the wading covers - the Poles sold a number of hulls to the Finns who then fitted the Marksman turret. I have been tempted by the Marksman kit but it's a very expensive way of obtaining the Polish style engine deck but you still need to source the turret parts and scratchbuild the rest of the wading covers! It would be very handy if Takom revisited their T-54/55 family and issued either a vanilla Polish T-55 or even better a "Merida" upgrade!

I've already built the T-55AM and T-55AM2B and found both an enjoyable build.B)

Mike.

• 2 months later...

I am hungarian and as so, discussed with a local tank commander (retd) about T-55AM2 in humgarian service when I built my model. He told me that the Takom kit is a good base but several details must be checked on reference photos to be as correct as possible. Good luck that Takom included all necessary parts in the box as I know.

I can send my reference photos using private message, by anyone’s demand.

About  the “real” colour of HDF he simply told: Grin. (It is a specific hungarian verbal humour like “Green written with 4 characters”. Originally we write “zöld” but the funny mode is “ződ”.  🙂

Anyway. The best advice: try to find good reference photos (non-refurbished vehicles’ photos, and use that.

Tamás

• 3 months later...

I would say, that any of  their paints were manufactured more to chemical spec, rather than pigment match.

Some qualities of the covering paint were more important, than "uniformity" of the final product. 🙂

Look at all those photos on the Net, find the average shade in your paint rack, then go for it.

By the time, you've done some weathering/dusting, nobody will know, where  you started.

Zig

Edited by zigster
  • Like 1

Any green will be just fine... here enclosed a couple of images from a Romanian tank unit, spring 2000. I've captured those images while serving my mandatory military service.

003_zpsuoiy2djc.jpg

001_zpsaahyrlyz.jpg

008_zpsgjwccjqg.jpg

007_zpsswpdvmo8.jpg

010_zpst7e3m6qq.jpg

004_zpsmr0c1jyn.jpg

• Like 2