F152 Another Hotspur 1/72nd Frogspawn

Mr T

The canopy looks to have blended in well. She looks like a nice overall model and the paint will lift it another notch that’s for sure. Now I’m wondering besides the basic cano and yellow / black stripped undersides were these gliders ever painted in civil or bold colours? I have acquired one of these during this GB period and would like to (eventually) finish it off in a somewhat different scheme.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All the photos I have seen of Hotspur are in camouflage. The Hotspur disappeared very quickly at the end of the war and I suspect they were too big for  gliding club use. 

Now I have written that someone will come along with a photo of one used by the RAE in all over yellow with black strips underneath and red wing tips and tail😉

Edited by Mr T
Lack of concentration
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

All the photos I have seen of Hotspur are in camouflage. The Hotspur disappeared very quickly at the end of the war and I suspect they were too big for  gliding club use. 

Now I have written that someone will come along with a photo of one used by the RAE in all over yellow with black strips underneath and red wing tips and tail😉

Thread here for the pretty coloured ones 😀

• Thanks 2

After I wrote  my comment, I remembered diamant had posted the Hotspur mega build. Some interesting schemes and I wonder where some of them came from. 

Disaster has struck, after I got back today from London, I did some work on the Hotspur, including a bit to the canopy. I was cleaning some paint, I moistened a cotton bud in paint remover rather than the alcohol based thinner and ruined the canopy. Trying to use the injection moulded version revealed that the clear plastic was not stable and reacted to almost anything about. A new canopy has been ordered, but somewhat disheartened, especially as painting the wheels is not going as well as I would like. 

• Sad 6

That's bad news - I did the same with my Spit earlier, but it was on the underside of the wing and I didn't get too far. 

Here's hoping you sort it out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Disaster has struck, after I got back today from London, I did some work on the Hotspur, including a bit to the canopy. I was cleaning some paint, I moistened a cotton bud in paint remover rather than the alcohol based thinner and ruined the canopy. Trying to use the injection moulded version revealed that the clear plastic was not stable and reacted to almost anything about. A new canopy has been ordered, but somewhat disheartened, especially as painting the wheels is not going as well as I would like. 

Well ( please insert your favourite excrement-based expletive here ) !

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I’m sure your not alone with having modelling issues, however this is always depressing news especially when it was all going so well. Hopefully you’ll be able to recover it back to a standard your happy with and be able to report back with good news and great photos.

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the comments and good wishes. These things  happen, but a little frustrating at this late stage. It will be sorted and it's not like I haven't other kits to be getting on with. I am also a bit cross with myself for doing something so idiotic. 

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear what has happened, however if you have ordered a replacement canopy then it's completely recoverable so that's the important thing. 

Look forward to seeing this one again when the canopy arrives.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3

Thanks, the canopy is on and faired in. Undersurfaces painted yellow and black stripes masked and first coat. Photos to follow. This last week has been a bit busy. Down in London last weekend to see two sets of Mrs T relatives who had come from the States and daughters graduation for her PGCE on Wednesday and decorating bathroom. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Thanks, the canopy is on and faired in. Undersurfaces painted yellow and black stripes masked and first coat. Photos to follow. This last week has been a bit busy. Down in London last weekend to see two sets of Mrs T relatives who had come from the States and daughters graduation for her PGCE on Wednesday and decorating bathroom. 

Blooming eck I'm surprised you got anything done at all with all that other stuff going on. Look forward to seeing the pictures 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

It was a busy week, but being officially retired helps (got my first bit of state pension last week as well as a letter from HMRC with a tax recode, so I pay more income tax on my occupational pension) , although as Mrs T being 10 years my junior does mean I do cooking, cleaning etc as she is still at work. I deliberately do not much modelling during the day as I do the jobs and then have evenings free, a big change from when I brought work home most evenings. Some of this weekend we shall be at the Deershed Festival near Thirsk as we get free tickets as Mrs T relations run it. 

• Like 3

Photos as promised. Model is currently being masked, the canopy is quite delicate and I really do not want to go near it  with a blade and so using strips of masking tape to mask. Takes longer but is safer. Undersurfaces being masked, but no spraying until temp comes down a bit.

48372483172_dfe89cfb80_k_d.jpg

48372351776_f4efbb411b_k_d.jpg

More progress soon depending on what happens in the next sentence , Looks like we might have an offer on my late mums house, so a final house clear could be on the horizon 

• Like 8

That looks great - dazzling even!

You are right about the spraying - I tried some primer earlier and it came out like dust. Now rubbing it all off again...🤨

• Sad 2

More progress after a busy weekend. Camouflage on and some detail added like pitot head and venturi, iIstill need to add some a bracing wire to the undercarriage legs and I think the ailerons had external actuators, so will need to be built   . Wheels are almost to my satisfaction but have been beggars to paint. Gloss varnishing this evening  and decals on tomorrow all being well. 

spacer.png

Dark Earth has been sprayed and then Dark Green brush painted. the windows are sealed with Glue and Glaze applied as thinly as possible. This will be removed after final varnish coat and new coat applied. It does work as I have done it before, you need a sharp blade to get a 'clean' window.  . 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a look back at this one, Mr T, - it's coming together really well and the cockpit looks fantastic. It's giving me a bit of a 'spur on to get mine finished too! All the best. Mike

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your kind comments. The model is nearly finished. Decals and final varnish coat are on and just waiting to demask the canopies. A bit behind hand as we have been up in Scotland as my mums house has sold and we went up partly and I have a hospital visit with a nosebleed that would not settle. 

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

Thanks for your kind comments. The model is nearly finished. Decals and final varnish coat are on and just waiting to demask the canopies. A bit behind hand as we have been up in Scotland as my mums house has sold and we went up partly and I have a hospital visit with a nosebleed that would not settle. 

Be careful coming up to Scotland Mr T, I came up 26 years ago met a girl and stayed

Hope the hooter gets better

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

On 7/13/2019 at 8:53 AM, Mr T said:

After I wrote  my comment, I remembered diamant had posted the Hotspur mega build. Some interesting schemes and I wonder where some of them came from. 

Me :) I researched them all for him along with the Hotspur and Hamilcar schemes. Quite a few of them are based on photos I've collected over the years - including two all yellow ones.

Good work so far! 👍

Edited by OneEighthBit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hope the hooter gets better

Fat chance at present, writing this from  hospital bed as been admitted as bled seriously again. Got a big inflatable thing at least the size of a Zeppelin up my left nostril (this may be an exaggeration, but feels like it). Hopefully it will be sorted out tomorrow, but not a happy bunny. 

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, Mr T said:

Fat chance at present, writing this from  hospital bed as been admitted as bled seriously again. Got a big inflatable thing at least the size of a Zeppelin up my left nostril (this may be an exaggeration, but feels like it). Hopefully it will be sorted out tomorrow, but not a happy bunny. 

Get well soon @Mr T, it's a pity your nasal zeppelin, isn't an R100, we still need one of those for this GB !

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 3