POSSIBLE Launch of Resin 1/48th Vulcan

spruecutter96

• 1 month later...
On 11/04/2020 at 14:41, LorenSharp said:

Where can I find one of these Beauties?

email Alan direct. I don't know if they are back in production yet, he was repairing the moulds, but not heard anything for a few weeks now.

[email protected]

Edited by bentwaters81tfw
Updated email address
  • Thanks 1

I just emailed Alan  inquiring about it. With the current health crisis going on I know it may be near impossible to get one for a while. But at least wanted to get on the list when it can be shipped. That will make for one nice build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

Request any information on the intake boundary layer bleed duct, used on the Vulcan B.MK.1. It was situated on the inner air intake, adjacent to the fuselage.

Alan

try @Adam Poultney @general melchett as they are having a Vulcan fest elsewhere on the site

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

Request any information on the intake boundary layer bleed duct, used on the Vulcan B.MK.1. It was situated on the inner air intake, adjacent to the fuselage.

Alan

I'm going to have to defer this one to @general melchett

Does this mean a 1/48 Vulcan B1? If so I think I've found my project for next summer! (although it's a bit big, and we are lacking a 1/72 B1)

Alan

Hi Alan, hope all is well with you. Here's the best image I could find, hope it helps. It's taken from a 'Look at Life' short film called 'Thunder in Waiting Vulcan Bomber 1960'. (intake is seen at approx the 2.03min mark). Normally the duct appears as a dark slot from outside but obviously the film crew set up strong lighting in there for the tunnel rat's big scene.

The curved vertical ridge on the right is the external lip of the slot which in turn runs back, to the left (the rear wall of the intake is seen behind). 

1-Bucc001-001.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z43ndOGrLdk

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I'm going to have to defer this one to @general melchett

Does this mean a 1/48 Vulcan B1? If so I think I've found my project for next summer! (although it's a bit big, and we are lacking a 1/72 B1)

Adam,

From  what I have worked out, it's going to be a huge task to design a good representation of a B.MK 1, which I am certain I can achieve; there are so many variations that one is entering into a minefield. I will base the IFA B.MK 1 on XA893 and according to the Avro documentation, it retained the straight leading edge and reduced trailing edge sweep angle. The surface detail was entirely different and even the vertical stabiliser looks like it was different. I have located part of the vertical stabiliser from an early type Vulcan, I will measure the cross section to determine its relevant dimensions.

Ideally, it would make sense to go with 1/72 scale and since the Airfix Vulcan is the prime choice, I don't want to end up in a legal wrangle with Airfix, so I will go with 1/48 scale. 

From what I have left over from the B.2 project, most of the moulds disintegrated, along with the masters, I will use to form the basis of the B.MK1 project. There is a lot of work ahead; if and when I complete the project by next year (it's technically complex at this scale), I will appoint you to carry out a build, I don't know where you will put it, once complete, you might run out of space!

Alan

• Like 2

12 hours ago, general melchett said:

Hi Alan, hope all is well with you. Here's the best image I could find, hope it helps. It's taken from a 'Look at Life' short film called 'Thunder in Waiting Vulcan Bomber 1960'. (intake is seen at approx the 2.03min mark). Normally the duct appears as a dark slot from outside but obviously the film crew set up strong lighting in there for the tunnel rat's big scene.

The curved vertical ridge on the right is the external lip of the slot which in turn runs back, to the left (the rear wall of the intake is seen behind). 

12 hours ago, general melchett said:

General,

Thanks for the info, I was surprised that you was able to come up with that sort of info; this was the smoking gun for me, the final part of the puzzle, I can now get on with things and everything is reasonably good with me, although my health is not so good.

Alan

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your health, hope things improves soon. 

I have a great deal of info on all the V-Bombers here, especially technical data so if you need anything, just ask.....and along that vein, did you get any further with the 1/48th Victor?

As you know, I have your B2 on the go, although progress has been slow due to a lot of time being spent designing the crew quarters and bomb bay ready for 3D printing.

A B.Mk 1 sounds a good idea and as you're considering XA893, it would be fairly easy to modify it to build the second prototype VX777, (VX770 would involve a lot more surgery due to the forward fuselage being shorter and sans bomb-aimers blister). Quite an undertaking but if anyone can do it, you can.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Sorry to hear about your health, hope things improves soon. 

I have a great deal of info on all the V-Bombers here, especially technical data so if you need anything, just ask.....and along that vein, did you get any further with the 1/48th Victor?

As you know, I have your B2 on the go, although progress has been slow due to a lot of time being spent designing the crew quarters and bomb bay ready for 3D printing.

I do hope things improve soon too.

As the General said, have you any Victor news?

And sir your Generalship sir, if you print the bomb bay and the crew quarters, would you sell parts?

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, general melchett said:
1 hour ago, Sebastien said:

As the General said, have you any Victor news

Cheers,

S.

Gentlemen, thanks for your kind words. I have done all the calculations for the Victor and started work on both the fuselage and wings but I won't start properly until 2022, as I have a lot of things to do for the time being.  I think this may be the next big project as there seems to be a good demand but it is by no means a walk in the park, I will have to dust off my old mathematics textbook to start grappling with the complex geometry.

Alan

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

Adam,

From  what I have worked out, it's going to be a huge task to design a good representation of a B.MK 1, which I am certain I can achieve; there are so many variations that one is entering into a minefield. 

Mm yes it will be quite a task, you can't really take anything on the B2 for granted when modelling a B1, so much changed between them. And with only a handful of cockpits and a few odd parts still surviving from those early Vulcans, it will be made even more difficult. You won't get any help from early B2s with B1 intakes as all of these were scrapped by the 1990s, the last being XH537. Good reference photos can be hard to come by of some areas, and even then they will be old photos (the latest ones would be 1986 as that's when XA900 was scrapped). 

Hope you're up to it as a really good 1/48 B1 will sell quite nicely.

7 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

I will base the IFA B.MK 1 on XA893 and according to the Avro documentation, it retained the straight leading edge and reduced trailing edge sweep angle.

A straight wing is certainly iconic, but it will be limiting in what can be done with the kit. As mentioned by General Melchett, the second prototype could be represented with few mods but the first one, VX770, may be more challenging (in fact it would be worth, in my opinion, looking at VX777 as the basis for the kit if you are going with a straight leading edge). Beyond that you have the five earliest production examples which initially flew with straight wings (XA889 to XA893). XA889, XA890 and XA891 are all well photographed with the original delta, painted in high speed silver (my favourite Vulcan scheme). 

I just feel that going for a kinked Phase 2 wing may be a better move, the majority of the early ones were refitted, then the next 40 Vulcan B1s were built with with the phase 2 wing, plus it opens up the possibility of a B1a with the ECM upgrades. Not only this but you'd also have the full range of Mk1 Vulcan schemes as options (VX777 after refit with prototype style white, silver, early white with full shade markings, white with pale markings and camouflage for B1as). Of course, alternate parts could cover this which is the best possible option imo.

XA893 is one of the least photographed Vulcans, at least when it was intact, I think only XM596 had less photos taken of it (and that's the one that never flew), I've never seen a good photo of it that isn't either a profile view or partially obscured by another aircraft. This of course means that the photographic evidence for which wing type it had its limited, but the documents say the original wing. If you have come across any photos showing the aircraft better, I'd love to see them.

8 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

Ideally, it would make sense to go with 1/72 scale and since the Airfix Vulcan is the prime choice, I don't want to end up in a legal wrangle with Airfix, so I will go with 1/48 scale. 

I don't see how it would create a legal conflict with Airfix? You would be developing your own kit from scratch, nothing to do with them. Only there would be a certain amount of competition, although I would think the market for a 1/72 B1 may still be larger than a 1/48 Vulcan of any Mk. I'll hold out hope for an injection moulded B1 in 1/72 from someone if your 1/48 is successful though. 

8 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

There is a lot of work ahead; if and when I complete the project by next year (it's technically complex at this scale), I will appoint you to carry out a build, I don't know where you will put it, once complete, you might run out of space!

Probably somewhere near my 1/32 Lancaster in I don't know where to put this land 😂 I'll have to read up a bit in this kind of kit and get some slightly smaller ones to practice on if this gets anywhere