POSSIBLE Launch of Resin 1/48th Vulcan

spruecutter96

20 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Airfix's Victor seems to sell very well and I still even see Matchbox ones built from time to time. Their Vulcan seems to pop up on Facebook about every week as well. And the prices for Valiants are crazy high, so the demand is there.

1/48 is huge, and the price tag is even bigger. I would only even consider that for a nice Vulcan B1, certainly not a Victor or Valiant.

1/144 may be the most popular scale for the V Bombers... 

I have built most of a Mikromir Victor B1 and it will take up far less room than the 1/72, but I feel that it could do with maybe being in the old 1/96 scale.

I also have a GWH Vulcan, which is nice in that scale, and I plan to convert this to a B1 with straight leading edges following a conversion by @robvulcan somewhere on the depths of this forum.

Good points Adam

There may be a demand but, how much of a demand? I don't think it's as high as some imagine. If it was, then I honestly believe that there would be a whole variety of new kits to meet this "demand". However, it's only speculation and, I do not claim to be right. Ultimately, it will be the company bean counters that will decide if "demand" is sufficient . Time will tell.

I wouldn't personally consider 1/48 for any, V bomber or , come to that, any other heavy such as a Lancaster or B-17 (to name but two). size and likely price being the reasons.

I won't be buying the 1/144 kits because I think they are too small. Again, personal choice and, my loss too as some will no doubt point out!😉😊.

I would actually prefer to see a Vulcan B1/B1A and, Victor B1 in 1/72. I do have the relevant Flightpath conversion sets but, have not yet plucked up the courage!😂.

I like the idea of an "in between" scale like 1/96. Not too big but, not too small either.  Whether companies would like to add another scale to their inventory is another matter.

Allan

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Good points Adam

There may be a demand but, how much of a demand? I don't think it's as high as some imagine. If it was, then I honestly believe that there would be a whole variety of new kits to meet this "demand". However, it's only speculation and, I do not claim to be right. Ultimately, it will be the company bean counters that will decide if "demand" is sufficient . Time will tell.

I wouldn't personally consider 1/48 for any, V bomber or , come to that, any other heavy such as a Lancaster or B-17 (to name but two). size and likely price being the reasons.

I won't be buying the 1/144 kits because I think they are too small. Again, personal choice and, my loss too as some will no doubt point out!😉😊.

I would actually prefer to see a Vulcan B1/B1A and, Victor B1 in 1/72. I do have the relevant Flightpath conversion sets but, have not yet plucked up the courage!😂.

I like the idea of an "in between" scale like 1/96. Not too big but, not too small either.  Whether companies would like to add another scale to their inventory is another matter.

Allan

I think there's enough demand to justify at least one modern kit of each in 1/72... 

And I'm mildly surprised that no one has done an early Vulcan since Frog and Lindberg did. But as you say, it comes down to the bean counters to decide. 

If some absolute legend decides to do a 1/72 Victor B1 or vulcan B1 I might just have to buy as many as we're actually built.... Well, if I could afford it which I definitely can't.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I think there's enough demand to justify at least one modern kit of each in 1/72... 

And I'm mildly surprised that no one has done an early Vulcan since Frog and Lindberg did. But as you say, it comes down to the bean counters to decide. 

If some absolute legend decides to do a 1/72 Victor B1 or vulcan B1 I might just have to buy as many as we're actually built.... Well, if I could afford it which I definitely can't.

You may be right. If the current airfix Victor does sufficiently well, who knows!

Of course, one reason for my preference for the Victor B1 is that it will be so much easier to produce a B1 prototype in that beautiful red, black and silver finish applied for the 1952 Farnborough show. It made the Victor look positively sinister!. If memory serves however that aircraft was sadly lost a few weeks later in a fatal crash following separation of the tail plane assembly from the fin?.

I remember many years ago there was an article in Scale models magazine whereby the modeller converted the Lindberg Vulcan (which was of course the prototype) to a Vulcan B2. I was able to produce a B1 from that kit. I decided the wing mods for the B2 were a bit much to tackle! 😂

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

17 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

You may be right. If the current airfix Victor does sufficiently well, who knows!

Of course, one reason for my preference for the Victor B1 is that it will be so much easier to produce a B1 prototype in that beautiful red, black and silver finish applied for the 1952 Farnborough show. It made the Victor look positively sinister!. If memory serves however that aircraft was sadly lost a few weeks later in a fatal crash following separation of the tail plane assembly from the fin?.

I remember many years ago there was an article in Scale models magazine whereby the modeller converted the Lindberg Vulcan (which was of course the prototype) to a Vulcan B2. I was able to produce a B1 from that kit. I decided the wing mods for the B2 were a bit much to tackle! 😂

Allan

Yes, the aircraft (WB771) was lost with all hands on 14 July 1954. She is an aircraft that would be nice to build, along with the other two first prototype V Bombers (VX770 and WB210, which incidentally were both lost in crashes). 

I'd like a set of very early 1st generation V Bombers, all painted in silver as they were in their first years of service.

I think the Lindberg kit is a nightmare by the looks of it to produce an accurate model from; the intakes are way off and the wing is extremely thick. If I wanted a Vulcan B1 in that scale I'd track down a Frog kit as it's generally regarded as accurate for its time.

4 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Yes, the aircraft (WB771) was lost with all hands on 14 July 1954. She is an aircraft that would be nice to build, along with the other two first prototype V Bombers (VX770 and WB210, which incidentally were both lost in crashes). 

I'd like a set of very early 1st generation V Bombers, all painted in silver as they were in their first years of service.

I think the Lindberg kit is a nightmare by the looks of it to produce an accurate model from; the intakes are way off and the wing is extremely thick. If I wanted a Vulcan B1 in that scale I'd track down a Frog kit as it's generally regarded as accurate for its time.

The only problem with that is of course the near impossibility of ( a) finding a FROG Vulcan and, ( b) finding one at a remotely sensible price! 😉.

The Lindbergh kit is, as you rightly imply, a bit crude!! I am not over fussed about accuracy and, it certainly is, unmistakable as a Vulcan when complete.  I could live with that! 😊

For years of course it was the only option unless one fancied tackling the Rareplanes or Formaplane vac forms.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

One has to consider what does it take to design and manufacture a 1/48 V-bomber, judging from the comments made on this site, it would seem there are no shortage of armchair critics and armchair generals that belong in the armchair theatre comedy of errors. What is particularly fascinating is how some modellers are quick to criticise subjects they know very little about or think they know about and the reason is this: photographs will usually only show a particular perspective, so a lot of information is missing and when viewed from a particular angle, you will inevitably end up with what designers refer to as perspective distortion; similarly when using line drawings or plans, the origin and office that compiled them needs to be determined. Manufacturers don't always put all aspects of a design on plans, so checks have to be made, to verify any irregularities. 

The point being made, there are no 'experts' (a dubious term) or authorities here that can claim to know the V-bombers (insert Vulcan) design more than others, this is after all a forum, where the floor is always open to discussion and useful criticism is always healthy but bare one single fact in mind, it took an entire team of engineers and scientists to both design, test and construct the Avro Vulcan and not armchair critics who know nothing and believe me that is exactly what the knowledge level is, NOTHING!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Well said sir! I doubt there are many that could build one from scratch either but even that must be relatively straightforward compared to designing one in kit form to be replicated several times. Never mind the size of the blooming thing it must be hooge.

you got of your bottom and did it to satisfy those who’ve been wanting a 1/48 Vulcan (et al) for years don’t be depressed by the DFS Experten 🤓

TT

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Well said sir! I doubt there are many that could build one from scratch either but even that must be relatively straightforward compared to designing one in kit form to be replicated several times. Never mind the size of the blooming thing it must be hooge.

you got of your bottom and did it to satisfy those who’ve been wanting a 1/48 Vulcan (et al) for years don’t be depressed by the DFS Experten 🤓

TT

Given the fact that I cater for only a small number of modellers who appreciate my work that makes it all the more worthwhile to develop new projects and keep moving forward. I set to work on the Vulcan in the first instance because modellers, albeit small in numbers, asked me to make it.  Then came along the 'EXPERTS' who attempted to put a spanner in the works but the MAJESTIC VULCAN carved its way through the adversity, to land on those modellers desks, where each and every one will become a work of uncompromising excellence. There were those who said it could not be done and the price would be too high. Where are all those experts now? I don't see any of them. 

From my point of view, there are only 2 aircraft that defy mathematical logic, the Vulcan and the Victor; I have not known any other aircraft with such complex geometry and if one can figure out how to make both types of aircraft models, everything else is simple as nothing remotely comes close to these elegant machines of the sky. 

• Like 6

Finally, after much deliberation, cups of coffee and head scratching and a few tech calls, I managed to get my decal printer up and running. The results are superb, I have carried out tests in hot and cold water, the dyes don't run, hold firmly to the decal backing and comes off the carrier paper in under 30 seconds. It is recommended that the modeller cuts out each decal to be placed, separately, as the transparent film is very thin. There is no white in these decals, so a white backing or airbrush/paint will have to be applied. 

These decals now replace all previous inkjet (insert rubbish) decals. 

In the coming weeks, I will send out replacement decals to Vulcan kit holders and those in the USA will receive theirs in about a month's time.  Hub Plott, I know you need a number of decals, so I will send them out.

Investing and understanding new technology can be a pain but in the end we will get there together, then sit down, enjoy a coffee and wonder what all the fuss was about. I have now recovered from my nervous breakdown, so I guess its back to work and the grind goes on. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 9/24/2019 at 5:37 PM, exdraken said:

Absolutely looking forward to mine!

Yeh, "we" are, Werner; indeed! :rofl2:

17 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

From my point of view, there are only 2 aircraft that defy mathematical logic, the Vulcan and the Victor; I have not known any other aircraft with such complex geometry and if one can figure out how to make both types of aircraft models, everything else is simple as nothing remotely comes close to these elegant machines of the sky. 

Hi Alan!

Well, for instance; it looked as a bit complex project, but I've been battling with the awful shape in the Italeri 1/48 Sled kit forward fuselage since 2010 to absolutely no avail... :fraidnot: I've been discovering further issues with each passing year while trying to replicate the ASARS nose on mine.

There's a strange kink on the chines in the exact spot where the detachable noses are fixed to the forward fuselage that I just couldn't decypher as of yet from either above or the sides :hmmm:You see?

https://i.imgur.com/wlWxXn0.jpg

Then there's something odd with the shape of the windshield I don't know I'll be ever able to overcome; the window panels on the real thing are completely flat and have a degree of curvature at the base, while those in the kit are convex on the outside and completely straight at the base, which is exactly what thwarts that evil look of the Habu. 

Think I'll have to wait 'til @JeffreyK comes out with his proposal.

As for you, I congratulate you on this 1/48 Vulcan kit. 

Cheers,

Unc2

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Airliners.net piccies not allowed, sorry
  • Like 1

Hello All,

I enjoyed a day out at St. Ives Model show in Cambridgeshire, fantastic atmosphere and I met so many people, chatted and the time ran out, where did it all go? RV'd with Bentwaters and Julian at their table, BCWM. I was able to get a look at Wolfe Aerospace, 1/48 Avro Vulcan on Rikki's stand, with all the extras that come with it. We will be collaborating on a 1/32 TSR.2 (to be announced at a later date). 

Any way lets get back to the subject of the Vulcan, I have received so much encouragement and praise from fellow Britmodellers and the like, and I have decided to continue production of the 1/48 Avro Vulcan to avoid a panic that I seem to have created of my own doing. So there is no October deadline; this will give modellers and collectors alike to plan more efficiently rather than panic. Like I said new laser decals will become available. 

I am looking into creating a 1/48 B.1 Vulcan and I realise the task will be substantial, considering the differences. Over the years I have spoken to some Vulcan test pilots and I believe only one of them is still around but he never flew any of the B.1s as was I able to design and build the B.2 by studying a lot of the test pilot notes. It gives one a feel for the subject.

Keep an eye out for new Vulcan developments and remember, you heard from here first.

Alan

Icelandic Fine Art

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

I am looking into creating a 1/48 B.1 Vulcan and I realise the task will be substantial, considering the differences. Over the years I have spoken to some Vulcan test pilots and I believe only one of them is still around but he never flew any of the B.1s as was I able to design and build the B.2 by studying a lot of the test pilot notes. It gives one a feel for the subject.

Keep an eye out for new Vulcan developments and remember, you heard from here first.

Alan

Icelandic Fine Art

Hi Alan,

A question that's probably on a few people's minds straight away - do you plan on producing the original straight wing, or the modified kinked wing for the Vulcan B1? 

If straight, I'll be chopping an inch or-so out from behind the cockpit and building VX770. If kinked, I'll be building XA900 ;)

Cheers,

WV908 

Hello WV908, 

Its seems you are spot on, I will base my design on VX770, with the straight wing and although I haven't looked into this extensively, the air intakes would be different and possibly the landing gear, I will only know when I start the project. According to the Avro specifications, there was only a small difference in length and although I haven't taken out my slide rule yet, the calculations show about minus 3.1mm from the line intersecting the front undercarriage bay, rearwards. Most of the other differences will not be apparent at 1/48. I will be visiting a former Avro engineer who worked on some of the early projects, so hopefully he can shed some light on this. 

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

With regards to B.2 versus B.1, the main differences bar the wing are the size of the intakes, the shape of the exhausts and the lack of an ECM tailcone. The B.1 also has taller nose gear

The main differences between VX770 and the B.1 are the shorter fuselage (at the point you mention) and the fact that VX770 did not have a bomb aimer's blister. VX770 also had eight airbrakes instead of the later six, although I don't know at what point in the production run it changed.

Due to the B.1's and prototypes having the same wing planform bar the kink modification, I wonder if there would be travel in providing two different leading edges and having the fuselage at full (B1) length, with an option to cut down?

If the kit is purely modelled after VX770, you can't build any other Vulcan from it, as even VX777 had the longer fuselage.

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

Hola, @Icelandic Fine Art's Alan. :worthy: How's it going?

Listen up, my good mate; yesterday I found out there was a PayPal cancelled invoice notice for £55 on my inbox. Guess you've sent it to the wrong e-mail address? Will you drop me a PM so that I provide you with the correct e-mail address associated to my PayPal account where to send another invoice, please? Still want the resin suckers + bomb bay.

Thanks a helluva lot, Alan.

Cheers,

Unc2

7 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Johan... :Tasty: Let's see "them" piccies, kindly?

Yeh, let us...

Cheers,

Unc2

I only have one overall picture of the main components at the moment.

But I could probably provide more detail pics.

spacer.png

• Thanks 3

On 30/09/2019 at 21:54, WV908 said:

Hi Alan,

With regards to B.2 versus B.1, the main differences bar the wing are the size of the intakes, the shape of the exhausts and the lack of an ECM tailcone. The B.1 also has taller nose gear

The main differences between VX770 and the B.1 are the shorter fuselage (at the point you mention) and the fact that VX770 did not have a bomb aimer's blister. VX770 also had eight airbrakes instead of the later six, although I don't know at what point in the production run it changed.

Due to the B.1's and prototypes having the same wing planform bar the kink modification, I wonder if there would be travel in providing two different leading edges and having the fuselage at full (B1) length, with an option to cut down?

If the kit is purely modelled after VX770, you can't build any other Vulcan from it, as even VX777 had the longer fuselage.

Cheers,

WV908

WV908,

It may well prove more practical to offer a B.1 in 1/72 as opposed to 1/48 and whilst I know you may well be disappointed, it would have a wider appeal and besides I am reluctant to go any larger on account of the amount of work involved, the sheer expense and of course, size; that way it would be easier to offer more options in the same kit. I don't see a problem in incorporating all your suggestions into one model and in theory is more than feasible. My main concern here, is that we are missing an historically important aircraft representation and there are no models of these early types to be found. At least it would give the modelling community an opportunity to see what an early example looks like and I am quite intrigued myself, how such a project would look. 

I will sleep on this idea but I think it offers real possibility and is attainable and whilst the Airfix Vulcan is quite good, its time to start work on a new 1/72 Avro Vulcan, with seamless intakes but will represent the smaller intakes and an option will be offered for larger intakes as well. In addition, I also think its time to offer a bit more detail at this level and give modellers an opportunity to work with a more 'intense' model.

This is something I will have to start in the new year and I will be able to design this one in CAD, using the latest 3d modular techniques as used in the aerospace industry. There has never been a better time to move forward with this idea.

Alan

• Like 2

Sounds good, and a Vulcan in 1:72 is a much more manageable size. The thought occurs that with a bit of a fiddle it may be possible to produce optional parts for B.1, B.1A and B.2 variants in the one kit - any views?

• Like 1