POSSIBLE Launch of Resin 1/48th Vulcan

spruecutter96

I took the 2 pictures of 607 at Nellis with a pocket camera so the negs are tiny unfortunately. The other Vulcan so painted was XM648. Here's the story behind the painting:

This was the first RAF participation in Red Flag and the Vulcans and Buccaneers went for 2 successive Flags 77/8 and 77/9. After about a week of 77/8 we got the message at Waddington that the Vulcans were being spotted any time they turned because the sun glinted off their light grey undersides. So there was a panic paint job using the same 2-tone brown that the Buccs were done in. I recall that we did a fighter affiliation sortie just before leaving for Nellis in the new colours and the UK fighter guys said it made us easier to spot, but that was at 40000ft! 607 was captained by Sqn Ldr, later Air Cdr, Chris Lumb and 648 by Flt Lt Phil Nelson. My log book shows arrival at Nellis on 19 Aug 77, trips on 22/24/26/30 (in 648)/31 Aug/1 Sep and depart on 2 Sep.

Our Red Flag was a daytime experience but subsequent Flags for the Vulcan were at night using TFR and so there was no need for fancy painting.

I've certainly seen video taken from a SAM site on the ranges of a Vulcan smokin' through with some impressed commentry from the operators. At one point just the tail of the Vulcan fills the screen and there's not much space between us and the ground. We're all beyond court martial now so I can admit that we flew at around 100 to 150 ft most of the time which was certainly exhillerating.

from https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/77635-red-flag-vulcans?p=1860455#post1860455

which is worth a quote for the explanation....

33 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

not sure why the pic doesn't show....

45744364_10156453524253499_8525079031052

fascinating stuff.

Wonder if @robvulcan  and @Adam Poultney  have seen this....

• Like 1

That scheme on a Vulcan looks just.....weird.    For sheer beauty albeit of a deadly kind - you cant beat the 3 V Bombers in the all white anti flash scheme.  But thats my 2 p worth, other admirers of the Vulcan and her sisters may differ

On the matter of metal for legs I concur with Mikes comments above.  White metal is a bit bendy for my tastes.  Plus they often just seem to replicate the kit parts  and not add anything to the detail which is a missed opportunity.  If its just the same as the kit part it does not seem to add much to the end result.  The only time I have had a breakage of a kit leg was during careless handing when lifting or setting down after dusting etc.  

• Like 1

I agree on your comments Mike, you are quite right of course, that U/C gear is a matter of preference and John T is right about the bendy bits. I have used metal legs previously and at the same time, I gave the contract to a local caster who charged a lot of money, when eventually I did receive the finished items, it bare little resemblance to the master; for a start most of the detail was removed with a grinder, so all the pipework and bolts were non existent, which defeats the purpose on 1/48 and anything larger. I was also able to bend the metal parts with my fingers, not very reassuring for having to support a fair amount of weight. Ever since that excursion, with metal, I was reluctant to go down that path again.

It seems fitting to mention, that whilst we are on the theme of the Vulcan, V-bombers makes a perfect backdrop, because more than ever before, we are likely to see all 3 1/48 V-bombers on a line-up, as Rikki Wolfe of Wolfe Aerospace, mentioned the possibility of doing a B.MK.2 Vickers Valiant, the all black version, sometime in the near future. Of course it will be a 3d printed version, albeit, a desktop version but I am sure it will still be captivating. He also wants to do a 1/32 Vulcan, 3d printed. I did one many years ago, which my 1/48 is based on.  I also did a basic model of the H.P Victor, also 1/32. The last time I saw both, about 10 years ago, they were in the Icelandic Aviation Museum, up in the north of Iceland. I don't know what has happened to them since. 

• Like 2

Well it would be nice to see this.

The master looks great the only thing I would ask to be improved is the nose shape which needs to taper off a lot more and be more pointy.

Amazing work though.

I just cant understand why there are not more kits from manufactures of all V Bombers in many scales as they are internationaly a popular subject.

1/72 and 1/48 we need please someone..

• Like 4

4 hours ago, robvulcan said:

Well it would be nice to see this.

The master looks great the only thing I would ask to be improved is the nose shape which needs to taper off a lot more and be more pointy.

Amazing work though.

I just cant understand why there are not more kits from manufactures of all V Bombers in many scales as they are internationaly a popular subject.

1/72 and 1/48 we need please someone..

But are they? 

My own feeling is that if they were so popular as you imply then surely manufacturing companies would be falling over themselves to churn out kits?

Popular in the UK? Well, I think that is a reasonable assumption. Popular internationally? Not so sure about that.

Does not mean you are wrong of course but, I am not the one that needs convincing. It's the company bean counters that need to be convinced and, I am pretty sure they can give lots of reasons why V Bombers might not be the best sellers many imagine them to be.

1/48? No disrespect intended but, no thanks!!😉😂. These are large aircraft and, I think 1/72 is the most practical scale, certainly with regard to model size. I think the smaller scale might be more likely to encourage multiple sales which, any manufacturers would be hoping for. Doubtless though  the 1/48 mafia will disagree!😉

Any smaller scale I would personally ignore. However, that's purely my choice.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:43 PM, Icelandic Fine Art said:

Hello All,

I see the mighty Vulcan has been taking centre stage, either way she's a lot easier to build than the old one and a lot lighter. She has an aluminium honeycombe matrix for both the fuselage and wings and the whole structure is strong and will maintain its structural integrity, which is why there is a greyish metallic appearance to her. I am currently working on a new set of laser decals for the Vulcan in the next few weeks, so hopefully, they will be a lot better than the inkjet ones, in the kit.

Yes, Uncle Uncool, I can supply you a set of air intakes and bomb bay, as I Keep spares. Send me an email to: [email protected]  

Alan

Icelandic Fine Art

Hi Alan

Can you pleae confirm that you have recieved my e-mails and PM:s here on FB.

I want to buy the Vulcan but have not received any response on my requests.

best regards

Johan

Hello Robvulcan, 

I have supplied drawings for the nose section in the kit, so the modellers' can decide for themselves how they want their Vulcan to look. It is an old master and it has been updated as much as possible but I will leave it to the modeller to reach their own conclusion.

May be WV908, who has one of the earlier 1/48 Vulcans, an Eiriksson, can shed some light on this?

Alan

4 minutes ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

Hello Flarpen,

I have sent you 2 emails and your name is on the list. The emails I have for you are: 

[email protected]

[email protected]

I have received all your emails and why haven't you received mine? Which email are you using?

Alan

Ok Thanks
Those are both valid mail adresses.

I can't answer why I haven't received your mail. But there have been problems with the mail server in the past.

I have checked my spam filter.

Maybe better to take future messeges through the PM function here on BM?

best regards

Johan

7 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

I agree on your comments Mike, you are quite right of course, that U/C gear is a matter of preference and John T is right about the bendy bits. I have used metal legs previously and at the same time, I gave the contract to a local caster who charged a lot of money, when eventually I did receive the finished items, it bare little resemblance to the master; for a start most of the detail was removed with a grinder, so all the pipework and bolts were non existent, which defeats the purpose on 1/48 and anything larger. I was also able to bend the metal parts with my fingers, not very reassuring for having to support a fair amount of weight. Ever since that excursion, with metal, I was reluctant to go down that path again.

If I may be so bold may I suggest knocking heads with @Ali62 if you decide to try metal u/c again. He casts bronze and very nicely too.

I have started saving for a 48th Vulcan currently the fund is at £0.43 :(

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

It seems fitting to mention, that whilst we are on the theme of the Vulcan, V-bombers makes a perfect backdrop, because more than ever before, we are likely to see all 3 1/48 V-bombers on a line-up, as Rikki Wolfe of Wolfe Aerospace, mentioned the possibility of doing a B.MK.2 Vickers Valiant, the all black version, sometime in the near future. Of course it will be a 3d printed version, albeit, a desktop version but I am sure it will still be captivating. He also wants to do a 1/32 Vulcan, 3d printed. I did one many years ago, which my 1/48 is based on.  I also did a basic model of the H.P Victor, also 1/32. The last time I saw both, about 10 years ago, they were in the Icelandic Aviation Museum, up in the north of Iceland. I don't know what has happened to them since. 

Wolfe may even do a Vulcan B1 in 1/48... Unfortunately some of his models seem to be a little off in shape but it looks correctable.

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

But are they? 

My own feeling is that if they were so popular as you imply then surely manufacturing companies would be falling over themselves to churn out kits?

Popular in the UK? Well, I think that is a reasonable assumption. Popular internationally? Not so sure about that.

Does not mean you are wrong of course but, I am not the one that needs convincing. It's the company bean counters that need to be convinced and, I am pretty sure they can give lots of reasons why V Bombers might not be the best sellers many imagine them to be.

Airfix's Victor seems to sell very well and I still even see Matchbox ones built from time to time. Their Vulcan seems to pop up on Facebook about every week as well. And the prices for Valiants are crazy high, so the demand is there.

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

1/48? No disrespect intended but, no thanks!!😉😂. These are large aircraft and, I think 1/72 is the most practical scale, certainly with regard to model size. I think the smaller scale might be more likely to encourage multiple sales which, any manufacturers would be hoping for. Doubtless though  the 1/48 mafia will disagree!😉

Any smaller scale I would personally ignore. However, that's purely my choice.

Allan

1/48 is huge, and the price tag is even bigger. I would only even consider that for a nice Vulcan B1, certainly not a Victor or Valiant.

1/144 may be the most popular scale for the V Bombers... 

I have built most of a Mikromir Victor B1 and it will take up far less room than the 1/72, but I feel that it could do with maybe being in the old 1/96 scale.

I also have a GWH Vulcan, which is nice in that scale, and I plan to convert this to a B1 with straight leading edges following a conversion by @robvulcan somewhere on the depths of this forum.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robvulcan said:

Hi Rob, it's a trick of the light / photographic distortion. It all depends on what angle it's viewed from, but the nose taper is correct.

Cheers,

WV908 

I can understand the apprehension behind 1/48 scale for certain aircraft, especially the Vulcan. It was never by intention to manufacture anymore when I closed down production 10 years ag. It was by chance that I went to the Halifax model show and visitors and modellers saw the Vulcan, they were taken aback by it sheer majesty and imposing look. At the same time nobody had heard of me and still don't know who I am, despite the fact that I have been around for 14 years. It was the same story with the 1/48 AEW.3 Gannet at the London Model Show, people were surprised see to it, again it has been around for a few years. 

If a very small minority of modellers want a particular subject, they should not be denied it by the majority. I am simply too small in capacity to cater for the majority, its those few who want the wares that I can make a difference with. I was never on a sales pitch, I am simply an enthusiast. When I started discussions with certain companies in the UK, they had already decided that the 1/48 Vulcan would be pitched at £300, so those who say that my prices are high need to rethink their approach to 'things'. Nobody in general complains about high prices anywhere else. My prices are in line with the production and design costs. I haven't seen any other company thinking about making any large subject and turning it into reality because the reality is, the huge cost and resources involved. And, there are many others out there who make far worse representations of aircraft than myself. 

The good news is that I will ending production of the Vulcan next week, thank goodness, the amount of work and expense required, is enormous. I spent 16 hours a day, weeks on end, making a limited number of these kits, it takes over one's life, with no time left. The masters were accidentally damaged beyond repair, so R.I.P. 1/48 Vulcan. 

Another point to raise, is the design time, does anybody have any idea how much effort, time and expense is required just to produce one single design from nothing? I would say no and that is a definite NO.

As long as there are enough enthusiasts out there who want the designs that I make available, I will continue to make them, at enormous cost to myself. l don't believe in settling for the ordinary, I push the boundaries because that is what pioneers do. 

So remember don't deny the very small minority of modellers who want subjects in a certain large scale, that others don't. Lots of people can talk about things they are unable to do, I can talk about things I can do.

Having said, I had to get rid of my 1/48 Vulcan simply because I didn't have the available space!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

19 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

45744364_10156453524253499_8525079031052

That's a CGI rendering, innit?  I never did like that scheme, but have only seen it landed, which was definitely a real photo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WV908 said:

Hi Rob, it's a trick of the light / photographic distortion. It all depends on what angle it's viewed from, but the nose taper is correct.

Cheers,

WV908 

Hmm I get that and I spend an awful lot of time looking at and photographing Vulcans. It would need to be a hell of a distortion to make the nose look that straight at the sides. 

So I am not convinced yet. 

Also the wings need to have the secondary sweep back for a B2. 

However I would still buy it haha :)

1 hour ago, robvulcan said:

Hmm I get that and I spend an awful lot of time looking at and photographing Vulcans. It would need to be a hell of a distortion to make the nose look that straight at the sides. 

So I am not convinced yet. 

Also the wings need to have the secondary sweep back for a B2. 

However I would still buy it haha :)

Secondary sweepback is there too, it's just not visible in the photo :)

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

I can understand the apprehension behind 1/48 scale for certain aircraft, especially the Vulcan. It was never by intention to manufacture anymore when I closed down production 10 years ag. It was by chance that I went to the Halifax model show and visitors and modellers saw the Vulcan, they were taken aback by it sheer majesty and imposing look. At the same time nobody had heard of me and still don't know who I am, despite the fact that I have been around for 14 years. It was the same story with the 1/48 AEW.3 Gannet at the London Model Show, people were surprised see to it, again it has been around for a few years. 

If a very small minority of modellers want a particular subject, they should not be denied it by the majority. I am simply too small in capacity to cater for the majority, its those few who want the wares that I can make a difference with. I was never on a sales pitch, I am simply an enthusiast. When I started discussions with certain companies in the UK, they had already decided that the 1/48 Vulcan would be pitched at £300, so those who say that my prices are high need to rethink their approach to 'things'. Nobody in general complains about high prices anywhere else. My prices are in line with the production and design costs. I haven't seen any other company thinking about making any large subject and turning it into reality because the reality is, the huge cost and resources involved. And, there are many others out there who make far worse representations of aircraft than myself. 

The good news is that I will ending production of the Vulcan next week, thank goodness, the amount of work and expense required, is enormous. I spent 16 hours a day, weeks on end, making a limited number of these kits, it takes over one's life, with no time left. The masters were accidentally damaged beyond repair, so R.I.P. 1/48 Vulcan. 

Another point to raise, is the design time, does anybody have any idea how much effort, time and expense is required just to produce one single design from nothing? I would say no and that is a definite NO.

As long as there are enough enthusiasts out there who want the designs that I make available, I will continue to make them, at enormous cost to myself. l don't believe in settling for the ordinary, I push the boundaries because that is what pioneers do. 

So remember don't deny the very small minority of modellers who want subjects in a certain large scale, that others don't. Lots of people can talk about things they are unable to do, I can talk about things I can do.

Having said, I had to get rid of my 1/48 Vulcan simply because I didn't have the available space!

Hi, so the kit is no longer on sale.

I'm happy with the price and understand the start-up costs involved, so shame that you won't be producing some more to win back your start-up costs and sell me one.

Marc.