Roland Beamont's Tempest JN751 from No.150 Wing

I am surprised that no new tool Eduard Tempest has shown up in this GB yet, so I will have a go at Roland Beamont's mount as the CO of No.150 Wing, Newchurch, June 1944.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I will use the plastic from the Series 2 kit I have in my stash and the decals from the Royal Class boxing when available as I don't want to buy the Series 1 boxing as three Tempest are enough for me and I really like to have the book that comes with the Royal Class boxing.

spacer.png

I may use resin wheels and exhaust, but the rest will be OOB with maybe some extra detailing.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 9

Looks nice in the box with lots of details and rivets - definitely to my liking :winkgrin:

spacer.png

And as far as I can see, there is still scope to add some extra detail and correct some small mistakes.

I was tempted to purchase the Brassin cockpit. But with a ridiculous prize tag of nearly the same as the whole kit and not a bad looking plastic cockpit in the kit, I gave it a miss.

But my example was soaked in mould release agent and needed a good wash to remove it all. The packing also contained a lot of parts which broke off the sprues on the way from the Czech Republic to Australia (with a detour through Germany).

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

Made a start on the cockpit. As mentioned previously, the option is to spend 30 quits and get the Brassin cockpit or do it the old fashioned way and scratch build some extra detail.

The Brassin cockpit has some lovely detail but needs lots of work to separate the parts from the blocks as the masters are 3D printed I think.

spacer.png

The above picture is courtesy of The Modelling News where you can see the Brassin cockpit being build.

The kit cockpit has a floor incorporated in the cockpit which isn't correct, so I removed the floor.

spacer.png

Left before, right after.

And a lot of this in between.

spacer.png

Now I have to work out how to hold my creation in place :whistle:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

A fine collection of parts Peter, a wonderfull model in the making, looks like the eduard tiffie knocks the previous top of the pile hasegawa kit into the proverbial cocked hat

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 4:00 AM, Hewy said:

A fine collection of parts Peter, a wonderfull model in the making, looks like the eduard tiffie knocks the previous top of the pile hasegawa kit into the proverbial cocked hat

Yes it is a fine collection of parts, but I won't use them as I stick with the kit parts for the cockpit. Also I am building the Eduard Tempest and not a Typhoon which Eduard never tooled unfortunately and Hasegawa is currently the best choice for an 1/48 Tiffie.

I did made a little progress, cleaning up and finishing the assembly of all the plastic kit parts for the cockpit.

spacer.png

Still have to add the PE stuff and some of the cabling.

I also received a parcel in the mail today containing some Barracuda resin goodies.

spacer.png

-Exhaust.

-Early 5 spoke wheels

- Replacement Spinner

- Corrected radiator

- Seat with harness

Hopefully all these parts enhance the build a little.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Good to see this started Peter.

I have Eduard's earlier tooling, and am interested to see the differences.

The difference is like day and night - and I am not talking about the surface detail. To build a reasonable accurate looking Tempest from the old Eduard kit needs a lot of work as can be seen here.

I too have two old kits. I will use them as paint mules and place the small parts in the spare box. But it is interesting that in 1996, the original Eduard Profipack sold for US$ 19,95 and the new kit cost three times as much 22 years later (US$ 59.95)!

So if cost is no issue, there is really not much point building the old kit with all its issues.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Finished all the cockpit assemblies with most of the PE stuff in place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I found the plastic very brittle and the frame tubing snapped by just looking at it  :wall:

The rudder assembly was the most challenging part needing three attempts until I was happy with it.

spacer.png

Now I just have to find a way to hold it all together in the fuselage :hmmm:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 4

Well, the plastic may be brittle Peter, but that looks good.

3 hours ago, Basilisk said:

The rudder assembly was the most challenging part needing three attempts until I was happy with it.

spacer.png

Those rudder pedals look especially fine, pity they'll be deep in the 'pit and hard to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the week working a little on the Tempest. All the cockpit components are now completed.

spacer.png

And the cockpit parts do fit together.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Added some small enhancements and will be interesting to see how it looks when painted.

Unfortunately there isn't a Yahu IP for this kit or the Tempest. There is the Eduard Löök (or is it Lüük) ip for it. Even though I haven't seen one, they just don't look right to me and are way too expensive for what you get. So I will make up my own with the kit part.

Also prepared the radiator parts for painting.

spacer.png

With the Barracuda replacement part in place.

And the wheel wells are together as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

They are nicely detailed, but adding some of the plumbing does add to it nicely.

These parts are now ready for a coat of primer and painting.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I received the Royal Class kit this week, so have now all the parts needed to build it as a Series one Tempest Mk.V.

The best part of the Royal Class kit is the book written by Christopher Thomas containing lots of pictures new to me of late war and post war Tempest Mk.Vs. So if you intend to build two 1/48 scale Tempest Mk.V, it is worthwhile to buy he Royal Class kit just for the book!

Also had some progress with the internal stuff.

spacer.png

All parts ready for airbrushing the primer.

spacer.png

Primer on.

spacer.png

And interior green, medium sea grey, black and silver painted at the relevant spots.

Next is some detail painting and weathering.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 4

Thanks Robert. Yes the interior green does allow some nice details.

Did some comparison with the various instrument panel options.

spacer.png

The kit has provisions for (left to right) painted 3 dimensional plastic , decals on flat plastic and PE. Another option is to use the decals on the 3 dimensional plastic with a lot of decal softener. In addition, Yahu and Eduard (Löök) make some replacement IPs as well.

The picture below shows (from left to right) the 3 dimensional plastic with decals, Eduard PE and Yahu.

spacer.png

They all look nice and usable. The plastic with decals shows maybe a bit too much of a 3D effect and the instrument dials are a bit course. The Eduard PE looks nice too and the dials are much more to scale. And finally the Yahu panel which in my eyes has the most to scale look.

Here another look from a slightly different angle.

spacer.png

Here you can see the course look of the Eduard PE panel due to the digital printing which to me is a big let down as it looks worth in real. The 3D painted and Yahu have a much smother finish.

But at the end it is a personal choice and all three do give a good looking IP. And what about the Eduard Löök IP? Well, I don't have one as it rather expensive (twice as much as the Yahu IP) and the look - well here is a picture from a build at the Modelling News site.

spacer.png

What a choke :hmmm:The stock 3D plastic IP with the kit decals looks better than this Löök offering. I don't know what Eduard is thinking with this new Löök line of IPs ???

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Got the detail painting under way. The pictures show a wash after painting, followed by a flat varnish with some oil paint applied as a filter and some silver pencil applied chipping.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As Beamont's plane was only a couple of month old, I keep the wear subtle.

Next is some satin varnish and then finishing of the detail painting and putting it all together.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the detail painting and weathering on all the internal parts.

Rudder and stick.

spacer.png

Seat.

spacer.png

I then checked how the three IPs looked within the pit. From left to right: Eduard plastic with decals, Eduard PE and Yahu

spacer.png

The decal version kind of looks best on the picture, but I decided to use the Yahu IP as it is more to scale and the decal panel just has a bit too much of a "pop" effect for my liking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And with the fuselage half.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The cockpit is the kit cockpit with the Barracuda seat, Yahu IP and some scratch building.

The radiator is done too.

spacer.png

The front part is the Barracuda replacement.

And the wheel wells are now aged with various colour shades.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Fuselage can now be closed off :)

Cheers, Peter

• Like 7