In honor of D-day, my hand built wood 1st ID insignia.

Hello all,

This really has no proper place to go, so I included it here hoping to get more views in honor of those who saved Europe 75 years ago.

Some of you know that I have a background in carpentry, as well as being a soldier in the US Army. I was stationed in Germany as part of the famous, Big Red One!

So I combined my skills, and using a piece of scrap wood from a stair plank, I cut it into thin stips and even created a tongue and groove, using my table saw improperly, I am happy to report, I still have all my fingers!

I made this in honor of my Division, as part of what eventually will become a hand made dart board cabinet. I am in no way, a cabinet maker, but it doesn't hurt to try. Anyway, I love the beautiful wood grain, and I considered painting it into the proper red/green color of the 1st ID insignia. Would love some feedback from the group as to which way to preserve the beautiful wood. Paint, stain or clear coat?

All feedback is welcome, thanks for looking!

Anthony

Without further ado..............

Hand made Big Red One, 1st Infantry Division. One of the hobbies I want to do again, is play darts. I am sure my British friends can relate. Darts are Harrow power points, my favorites!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Gorby said:

bees wax it

Interesting, I definitely love the idea of bringing out the grain, it is gorgeous, never used bees wax, I wonder if I could even find that in the Philippines. Can you give me a bit more info, like how is it applied? Is it a wax, like floor wax, or something that I put on via a paint brush? I am guessing that it is something that I would rub in from a rag, but need your help before I commit.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony

26 minutes ago, Stalker6Recon said:

I am guessing that it is something that I would rub in from a rag

I usually apply with a rag. Depending on how dry the wood is, it may need more than one application. Then a day or so after the final coat, buff it with a clean cloth. It may need to be reapplied occasionally depending on how dry the climate is where you are.

I would recommend clear wax rather than coloured wax.

3 minutes ago, Gorby said:

would recommend clear wax rather than coloured wax. 

I absolutely agree, the wood has a hint of red in it, I forget what the wood actual is, but it's native to the Philippines. It's an extremely hard wood that resists the massive termite problem here. Most homes are concrete, building with wood is too risky. But the rich people here (I am not one of them, just a renter) have real wood in their homes. Doors are mostly hand made, solid wood, same with stairs. Usually the stairs a concrete with a thick wood step installed, all hand cut mostly. In the Philippines, if you have a hammer and a wood hand saw, you are a qualified carpenter, it's nuts!

Anyway, my last home had scrap wood around from when it was built, and I nicked a piece of the stair scrap (might have been door scrap) and this is what I could make. I still need to get the wood for the actual cabinet, but hopefully I can buy some next month.

Back to the topic, I will see if I can find some clear bees wax, it's VERY HUMID here always, so drying out won't be a problem. My question about application, before I stain wood back home, I would rub mineral spirits over the wood, sort of opens up the grain/pores, then apply the stain, followed by a clear coat of polyurethane.

If I go with bees wax, should I skip the mineral spirits? I can guess the bees wax is just as good for sealing as poly, probably even easier to apply too. Once it is on, no other top coat is required?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

PS. I am finally starting to build my first kit in more than thirty years. I figure if I start a build log, it will help keep me going. So if you are interested, stay tuned, I will post my opening salvo this evening for my FIRST build log on BM.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stalker6Recon said:

If I go with bees wax, should I skip the mineral spirits? I can guess the bees wax is just as good for sealing as poly, probably even easier to apply too. Once it is on, no other top coat is required?

If it's been sand papered all over (about 120 grit) that's all you need to do and no top coat is required.

I have no experience of your sort of climate, so I don't know if there would be any problems using wax in a very humid climate. I've had a look on Google but I can't find much that's relevant. The nearest here would be a bathroom type location and there is conflicting information about using wax in a bathroom.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gorby said:

conflicting information 

Shocker, isn't everything always conflicting? Anyway, I will have to see if I can even find bees wax here, I will let you know by the end of the week. Thanks for all the tips.

25 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm looking forward to following your build. 

Talk about nerves, I think I put too much pressure on myself. What my brain sees, and what I can actually accomplish, are seldom the same. But as long as I have fun, I won't worry about being perfect. Skills only come with experience, I can read every trick in the book, it still does not convert immediately to skills, so I will damp down expectations.

I am having so much fun already, I just realized what time it is here, already 1AM, I still need to eat dinner!

Anthony

• Like 2