Zvezda 1/35 Soviet Medium Tank T-34/76 mod. 1943 Uralmash

15 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Sure thing! That’s why I started this build from the tracks, even if these tracks are not workable. Cleaning the parts is a most time-consumptive thing here, but it’s worth it. Always.

Even with workable tracks, I glue them like link and length tracks, with only small plastic pins of 1 mm holding them together they break apart too easily if not glued together.

15 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I planned to start another build on a German forum to practice my Deutsche, but they’re rejected my registration. Not a problem. 😀

My first attempt to join Britmodeller was also rejected, they thought I was a Robot, so I tried again as Bob. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

... for wargaming, but perhaps I should think about it. :hmmm:

Hahaha. Even with availability of Flames of War making it easier than ever before, I suspect it's a dying if not close to dead hobby today war gaming with actual miniatures with RTS PC games like Company of Heroes and Blitzkrieg about Bob. I used to war game with Avalon Hill's fun Squad Leader and successor Advanced Squad Leader back in the day before computers, but even then back then, had a very limited experience with tabletop miniatures. I bought a stack of Fujimi 1:76 to try it beginning of the 1980s. Built a lot of the T-34s, but still have a few in the stash. Off the top of my head, several T-34/76 & Sd.Kfz 251, a KV-1, Matilda, Valentine come to mind amongst others.

• Like 2

On 12/08/2019 at 00:42, Bigglesof266 said:

That kind of large rolled treated (waterproof or resistant) canvas used by military is called a tarpaulin, usually contracted to "tarp" in English Nikolay.

Thank you, it’s good to know! But I never thought that’s called just «tarp», because in Russian it’s just a canvas type name. So we can have a lot of tarpaulin things and these things aren’t related to the tanks. When I decided to translate the Russian «skatka» (the rolled up tarp that fixed right on a vehicle or rucksack), I choose the «roll» to accentuate the shape and not the fabric.

It’s a very interesting mismatches between the different languages...

On 12/08/2019 at 00:42, Bigglesof266 said:

Not being a smartie. Just wanting to help expand your already impressive English vocabulary.

I’m really appreciate it, @Bigglesof266🤝 Looks like modelling and talking here is best way to learn the language (along with the history, technology and some arts)!

On 12/08/2019 at 01:13, Retired Bob said:

Even with workable tracks, I glue them like link and length tracks, with only small plastic pins of 1 mm holding them together they break apart too easily if not glued together.

It’s interesting to know! I was sure that these tracks aren’t so fragile...

On 12/08/2019 at 01:13, Retired Bob said:

My first attempt to join Britmodeller was also rejected, they thought I was a Robot, so I tried again as Bob. 😉

Yes, the «Bob» is not so suspicious as the... You’re used to try the «Bob-O-Tronic»?! 🤖

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

It’s interesting to know! I was sure that these tracks aren’t so fragile...

AFV Club, Bronco, Model Kastern and all plastic tracks with plastic pins can be fragile and break easily, especially when using oil paints and thinners. :facepalm: Metal track links main problem is their cost.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Metal track links main problem is their cost.

But I need to try it once... I have a Tamiya’s M-113 with a vinyl tracks - I think I need to replace them. Later.

And today I finished work with the tracks:

48535186181_d8fbd3796d_k.jpg

It was a bit fiddly job, but I hope it would look good.

Thanks for watching! 🙃

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Oops! 😬 I hope they’re fit...

I'm sure they will fit, as long as they are not all glued together. :) I make the top and bottom sections of track links apart, paint them, and when the wheels are ready attach the track sections together.  This is what I am working on now.......not a T-34. :whistle:

IMG_0931

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I'm sure they will fit, as long as they are not all glued together. :)

😬 Actually, they’re glued together and my idea is to insert the wheels an apply it all to the tank. That’s how I see it.

32 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I make the top and bottom sections of track links apart, paint them, and when the wheels are ready attach the track sections together.

Yes, it’s a reasonable approach I think. But what’s done is done, so I’ll try it my way - I want to build my kits as strong as possible. That’s why I decided to glue all the little parts to an upper hull and paint them later. Hope it’ll work well for me.

34 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

This is what I am working on now.......not a T-34. :whistle:

Excellent Tiger II, Robert! I saw some of your photos on a Flickr and I’m very Impressed - you have a great skill! :like:

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

😬 Actually, they’re glued together and my idea is to insert the wheels an apply it all to the tank. That’s how I see it.

There are many ways to put the wheels and tracks onto the tank, whatever way you decide is fine, but you always end up needing three hands. :thumbsup:

48 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent Tiger II, Robert! I saw some of your photos on a Flickr and I’m very Impressed - you have a great skill! :like:

Thank you, I hope I can keep building models for another 25 years, I might finish all the ones I have bought. :shrug:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

There are many ways to put the wheels and tracks onto the tank, whatever way you decide is fine, but you always end up needing three hands. :thumbsup:

That’s right!

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Thank you, I hope I can keep building models for another 25 years, I might finish all the ones I have bought. :shrug:

Sure! I think I need to build the kits I’m already bought, but it’s always the one more that I want when I get to the hobby shop... :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Yes, it’s a reasonable approach I think. But what’s done is done, so I’ll try it my way - I want to build my kits as strong as possible. That’s why I decided to glue all the little parts to an upper hull and paint them later. Hope it’ll work well for me.

I did a similar thing with my IS-2. Placed the wheels on the tank, glued the tracks to the wheels & slid the whole assembly off to ease painting. I also glue the tools etc. to the tank before painting, they're better attached that way & don't fall off whilst painting & weathering.

Progress is looking good.

Pete

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Progress is looking good.

Thanks Pete! 🤝 Now I’m close to the painting stage, but not decided how to replace the tarp, yet. I think I need to try the paper and the diluted white glue... Any suggestions?

6 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Thanks Pete! 🤝 Now I’m close to the painting stage, but not decided how to replace the tarp, yet. I think I need to try the paper and the diluted white glue... Any suggestions?

Hi Nikolay,

Paper & diluted white glue is as good as anything as it has a good scale thickness & texture. Alternatively you could use thinly rolled Milliput. Use string to tie up or masking tape with brass buckles to represent belt / ties.

Pete

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Paper & diluted white glue is as good as anything as it has a good scale thickness & texture.

Yes, I surely need to try it! 🙂

16 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Alternatively you could use thinly rolled Milliput.

I thinking about it, too... But I’ve never seen the Milliput in our stores. The other thing is a dough - what you think about it?

17 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Use string to tie up or masking tape with brass buckles to represent belt / ties.

I have a belts from an etched set, so it will be an easiest part here.

Thank you, Pete! 🤝

17 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Yes, I surely need to try it! 🙂

I thinking about it, too... But I’ve never seen the Milliput in our stores. The other thing is a dough - what you think about it?

I have a belts from an etched set, so it will be an easiest part here.

Thank you, Pete! 🤝

Hi Nikolay,

I've never tried using dough but believe it turns out ok. As a bonus, you can eat any that don't turn out too well!

Pete

• Haha 1

On 16/08/2019 at 15:05, Buzby061 said:

Hi Nikolay,

Hi Pete! 🤝

On 16/08/2019 at 15:05, Buzby061 said:

I've never tried using dough but believe it turns out ok. As a bonus, you can eat any that don't turn out too well!

I tried it as a sculpting matter years ago, and it turned well. As for an eating it... We need to mix the salt and the flour (1:1) to preventing the cracking, so it would be very specific dough! 😂 Ah, we can add a more flour and eat! 🤨

• Haha 1

Hi Nikolay, sorting out my T-34s I found I have both the Tamiya and the Dragon Uralmash turreted T-34s, the Tamiya has had a coat of primer on, but not on the rear mesh?  the Dragon kit is only just started, so a lot of things are missing still.  I have noticed that your Zvezda kit and my Dragon one has a bolted piece between the turret hatches but the Tamiya one does not, interesting. :hmmm:

IMG_0937

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Nikolay, sorting out my T-34s I found I have both the Tamiya and the Dragon Uralmash turreted T-34s, the Tamiya has had a coat of primer on, but not on the rear mesh?

Hello Robert, very good start on both these kits! 👍 The Dragon one has an interior and looks very detailed, as I see...

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I have noticed that your Zvezda kit and my Dragon one has a bolted piece between the turret hatches but the Tamiya one does not, interesting. :hmmm:

Yes, looks like this. I can’t comment on it yet - maybe it’s all about some modifications or just the missing detail. 🤨

Anyway, I just finished some work...

I’m not a sculpting wizard, but rolled up the dough and made the tarp:

48576346182_9ae65194f8_k.jpg

Also I dry fit the belts to be sure that the tarp shaped well enough:

48576193646_d460df5a97_k.jpg

It’s not something special, but it’s not worse than the original kit part. What you think about it? OK, let’s leave it for a few days and then see!

Thanks for an interest in my build! 🐈

• Like 12

1 hour ago, flashlight said:

Hi Nikolay,

Hi Nick! 👋

1 hour ago, flashlight said:

to me it looks quite nice, but I am no expert at all, because I have never sulpted something.

Maybe it’s time to try something?! 😉

I hope it’s not getting cracked...

It’s not something special, but it’s not worse than the original kit part. What you think about it? OK, let’s leave it for a few days and then see!

Hi Nikolay, that tarp roll looks very good, better than the kit part, I have never thought of using dough before.  I have used real thin cotton cloth, soaked with thinned PVA glue and paint, that looks good.  Someone mentioned Milliput, it is a two part putty that goes hard when mixed together, but when freshly mixed it is soft and can be rolled thin and smoothed with water, it is very useful for modelling.

Hello Robert, very good start on both these kits! 👍 The Dragon one has an interior and looks very detailed, as I see...

The Dragon Uralmash has the wrong hull, the one in the photo is from the Dragon T-34/76 1941 design, with solid wheels with tyres,  The correct hull has mixed perforated wheels, I have too many tanks being built.:frantic:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Nikolay, that tarp roll looks very good, better than the kit part, I have never thought of using dough before.

So, I must report that the dough becomes cracked and looks completely wasted after some hours. And it’s too thick.

I have used real thin cotton cloth, soaked with thinned PVA glue and paint, that looks good.

I need to try something like this... My first thought was to use the cooking paper with a glue - looks like I need to listen myself more often! :wink: I’ll try it later and post the pictures hopefully soon.

Someone mentioned Milliput, it is a two part putty that goes hard when mixed together, but when freshly mixed it is soft and can be rolled thin and smoothed with water, it is very useful for modelling.

Looks like to have a Milliput I need to order it somewhere, but I think I don’t need it at the time. But will be interesting to try!

The Dragon Uralmash has the wrong hull, the one in the photo is from the Dragon T-34/76 1941 design, with solid wheels with tyres,  The correct hull has mixed perforated wheels, I have too many tanks being built.:frantic:

I have only the two kits on the bench at one time and I think that starting another one will be counterproductive. We’re always wanted more details but today’s kits are detail-heavy and tedious. But the T-34/76 has the 303 pieces and I can’t bored of it, maybe it’s because of the in-progress painting absence?

Thank you, Robert! 🤝

• Thanks 1