Zvezda 1/35 Soviet Medium Tank T-34/76 mod. 1943 Uralmash

Steady progress. Nice work Nikolay. Love the substitution of the turned metal barrel.

With turret buttoned up & presumably driver's hatch to be closed, are you going to decorate/display it with infantry desant common during the period? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bigglesof266 said:

In both cases, I really like the value adding inclusion of figurines. Tamiya give us three crew figures in their older T-34/76 1943 kit and both early/late types of wheels and turret hatchs/cupola fuel storage tanks alternatives. Not resin sculpted quality, and not Modelkasten state of the art injection moulded, but still decent enough to use. Or the were in mine bought in '82 moulded when the moulds were still relatively new.  Orange box include a complete Dragon figure set. Albeit their older series sets, they are well sculpted and detailed.

One thing of note, an old Tamiya T34 was displayed on this site last month and someone commented that the cylindrical fuel tanks were oriented wrong, with the filler caps at a 45 degree angle to the outside, he said they should be at the top.  I checked my T34s and he is right, but Tamiya set them at the outside 45 degree angle while Dragon have them set with the filler cap at the top.  I agree about the figurines, I have bought a set of Soviet tank riders to go on a couple of my T34s.

• Like 2

Steady progress. Nice work Nikolay. Love the substitution of the turned metal barrel.

Thanks, @Bigglesof266! Yes, these barrels are great - the more I use the etch, the more I like it.

With turret buttoned up & presumably driver's hatch to be closed, are you going to decorate/display it with infantry desant common during the period?

This is my first armour kit in the past 20 or so years, so I decided to buil it OOB with a closed driver’s hatch (maybe, a periscope windows will be open). I’m not ready for the figures yet... I agreed with you that the tank crew or even an infantry men on a top of the tank will look great!

@Bigglesof266, @Retired Bob - thank you for your comments! 🤝

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

One thing of note, an old Tamiya T34 was displayed on this site last month and someone commented that the cylindrical fuel tanks were oriented wrong, with the filler caps at a 45 degree angle to the outside, he said they should be at the top.  I checked my T34s and he is right, but Tamiya set them at the outside 45 degree angle while Dragon have them set with the filler cap at the top.  I agree about the figurines, I have bought a set of Soviet tank riders to go on a couple of my T34s.

Agreed Bob that many things such as that detail you mention about the Tamiya T-34/76 Model 1943 including scale accuracy reflect the age of kits from that era, e.g. their Panther Ausf A, but, they still build into visually good looking and unmistakable identifiable standoff models of type. Truly, who not having seen a real T-34 or Panther Ausf A, alerted by comparison with another kit, or researched the topic thoroughly would ever know? For me, it depends upon each individual's modelling objective and I do appreciate that that objective might be different for others. While I do look for scale accuracy with accurate crisp detail preferred, at my age with my eyesight I'm not anal to a point of pedantic absurdity about it that I might once have been. Life's too short, getting shorter by the day not to enjoy what I do have. For 45 year old kits at their price point, Tamiya from that era are great to have available and with characteristic Tamiya fit.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Life's too short, getting shorter by the day not to enjoy what I do have. For 45 year old kits at their price point, Tamiya from that era are great to have available and with characteristic Tamiya fit.

Don't get me wrong, I was not criticising the Tamiya kits, it just seemed very amusing that I had made these kits so long ago and what's more, still have them after all my moves with the RAF that I had not noticed this oddity.  As a form of time capsule, it is interesting, the nearest T 34, 406 was the first I made, just think back to the mid 80s, no internet, very little AM, not that many books and  they could be wrong.  I thought that tracks and welds would readily rust, but I enjoyed hand painting the slogans on the turrets.  The question is do I leave them as they are or do I do a little face lift with chipping techniques and washes etc?

IMG_0930

Sorry to keep hijacking your thread Nikolay.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I thought that tracks and welds would readily rust, but I enjoyed hand painting the slogans on the turrets.

Looks excellent! 👍

The question is do I leave them as they are or do I do a little face lift with chipping techniques and washes etc?

The short answer is no. Leave them as is - I think it’s not a good idea to add something new to the kits that you’re already done a years back...

Sorry to keep hijacking your thread Nikolay.

No problem, Robert - all the information you’re posting here is very interesting for me and other members, too. 🙂

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

The short answer is no. Leave them as is - I think it’s not a good idea to add something new to the kits that you’re already done a years back...

You are quite right Nikolay, and I have plenty more kits to build anyway. :)

• Like 2

I'm with Nikolay Bob. Leave 'em. Nostalgia will regret it one day if you do.  P.S. You must have a very big wargaming table. 😉

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Nostalgia will regret it one day if you do.

Exactly.

Meanwhile, some progress on the body:

48501344821_b420c3eb70_k.jpg

The one thing that I don’t like is the roll:

48501344676_d28b3561ce_k.jpg

On the good side is the perfect fit and no need to scratch-build it. On the bad side is an overall plastic-look of the roll and the need for some artistic tweaks (I think I can do this).

That’s all for now! 👋

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

I'm with Nikolay Bob. Leave 'em. Nostalgia will regret it one day if you do.  P.S. You must have a very big wargaming table. 😉

As I said to Nikolay, I have more T 34s, Dragon early variants plus some Tamiya and Dragon T 34/85s.  No wargaming, just got carried away with all the options. :penguin:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

As I said to Nikolay, I have more T 34s, Dragon early variants plus some Tamiya and Dragon T 34/85s.

Feel free to post some pictures here, Bob. 😉

I decided to swap the sights for an etched parts, as the original, moulded sights was not so deep ah looks very simple:

48502978646_e51b9cdf18_k.jpg

And now I can finally call the turret finished:

48502978641_08fc15efdb_k.jpg

Thanks for watching! 🐈

• Like 7

1 hour ago, flashlight said:

Hi Nikolay,

Hi Nick! 🤝

great to see you back at building your T-34! Good progress here.

Thanks! I just realized that the modelling is a great way to getting rid of anxiety, and... I haven’t been painting for a long time! Also I want to see how it will look when finished.

Have a nice day

Have a nice weekend, namesake! 😉

6 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Feel free to post some pictures here, Bob. 😉

Nothing finished yet, I bought lots of AFV Club workable track links to replace the rubber band tracks in the Tamiya kits.  I used to make them during quiet times while on night shift, but now I'm retired I sleep at night. :wicked:

6 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I decided to swap the sights for an etched parts, as the original, moulded sights was not so deep ah looks very simple:

Nikolay, they are called vision slots, sights are for aiming the gun. :)  The bumps beneath the vision slots are pistol ports, to fire hand held weapons at attacking infantry.

Your T 34 is looking good.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I bought lots of AFV Club workable track links to replace the rubber band tracks in the Tamiya kits.

Nice idea! I just finished a half of work with these (semi-workable) tracks and I have a mixed emotions...

7 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I used to make them during quiet times while on night shift, but now I'm retired I sleep at night. :wicked:

As for me, the best modelling hours is the morning hours, when I get back from the working night.

10 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Nikolay, they are called vision slots, sights are for aiming the gun. :)  The bumps beneath the vision slots are pistol ports, to fire hand held weapons at attacking infantry.

Thank you Robert, I knew that I was wrong but I haven’t spent enough time in the armour modelling to learn the terminology. 🤝

14 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Your T 34 is looking good.

Thanks again! 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Nice idea! I just finished a half of work with these (semi-workable) tracks and I have a mixed emotions...

The workable tracks are good, but clean up and fitting pins takes a lot of time.

16 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Thank you Robert, I knew that I was wrong but I haven’t spent enough time in the armour modelling to learn the terminology. 🤝

We all learn the terminology as we get experience.  Your English is very good.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

No wargaming, just got carried away...:penguin:

I'd managed to figure that out Bob all by myself Bob. Hence jokin'. One would have to either rich as Crassus to wargame in 1:35 or a tad batty. Impressive accumulation of T-34s regardless. 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

The workable tracks are good, but clean up and fitting pins takes a lot of time.

Sure thing! That’s why I started this build from the tracks, even if these tracks are not workable. Cleaning the parts is a most time-consumptive thing here, but it’s worth it. Always.

We all learn the terminology as we get experience.

But it’s hard to remember a new words these days, because we’re often use a computer to translate. The real books is a better way, I think.

Your English is very good.

Thanks, Robert. I learned a lot on this forum, because I read and write a lot - it’s a great experience. Actually, I planned to start another build on a German forum to practice my Deutsche, but they’re rejected my registration. Not a problem. 😀

On 8/10/2019 at 6:42 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

The one thing that I don’t like is the roll:

I agree Nikolay. I only received my kit a week ago, and although I checked it out, I didn't really pay note how unrealistic the creases in that tarp look. Poor sculpting.

That kind of large rolled treated (waterproof or resistant) canvas used by military is called a tarpaulin, usually contracted to "tarp" in English Nikolay.  We used them all the time back in the day, that size, smaller and larger.

Not being a smartie. Just wanting to help expand your already impressive English vocabulary.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

I'd managed to figure that out Bob all by myself Bob. Hence jokin'. One would have to either rich as Crassus to wargame in 1:35 or a tad batty. Impressive accumulation of T-34s regardless. 👍

Did a quick inventory today, I have 15 T-34 kits, from the old Tamiya ones through to a half built Dragon T-34/85 with bedspring spaced armour for the final battle of Berlin.  I knew you were joking about using them for wargaming, but perhaps I should think about it. :hmmm:

• Like 1