Zvezda 1/35 Soviet Medium Tank T-34/76 mod. 1943 Uralmash

On 12/06/2019 at 22:55, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Hi Nick, thank you! It’s a very straightforward, I must say. :smile:

I hope we’re looking at your build here, soon!

Hi Nikolay,

I will be glad to show the build of the Tigr! It has arrived already and I have to say that I am very impressed by the amount of detail! I am looking forward to building it!

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, flashlight said:

It has arrived already and I have to say that I am very impressed by the amount of detail! I am looking forward to building it!

Hello Nick, it’s a good news - congratulations! :party:

Hello, Britmodellers! 👋

I haven’t had enough mojo and modelling time this week, but I have some progress on the turret and the body:

48107060841_4855ff7fdf_k.jpg

An overall progress for today:

48107173462_cc38a1fd61_k.jpg

Thanks for looking! 🐈

• Like 11

On 30/06/2019 at 19:16, Venelin said:

Hi Nikolay,

Hello Venelin! 🤝

On 30/06/2019 at 19:16, Venelin said:

I'm considering buying this kit, never built any Zvezda model, so I will follow with interest :)

It’s a very nice kit, you’ll not be disappointed!

Not so many things done last week, so I’ll post some pictures next week, I think.

• 4 weeks later...

I did an early Zvezda T 34/76 recently & found it pretty basic. I’m looking to do a T 34/85 & have decided to get the new Zvezda moulding after reading this. Following with interest. Thanks Nikolay. 

Pete

• Thanks 1

On 30/07/2019 at 00:22, Buzby061 said:

I’m looking to do a T 34/85 & have decided to get the new Zvezda moulding after reading this. Following with interest. Thanks Nikolay.

Thanks, Pete! 🤝 I’m lacking some mojo at this time, but it’s a very straightforward build and you’ll not be disappointed.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 11:04 AM, Das Abteilung said:

If I understand correctly, a "1943 Uralmash" variant is the simplified one produced at Uralvagonzavod (I think Uralmash is a more modern name) Zavod 183 in Nizny Tagil - later known widely as Tankograd and at the time the world's largest tank factory - after T-34 production was famously moved East of the Urals during 1942.  Whether this kit is fully variant and factory correct I can't say: I might have expected angular front fenders and at least some of the afore-mentioned steel wheels.

I have Zvezda's new mould T-34/76 3689 (and their new T-34/85). The former is a stamped turret Model 1943 variant assembled in UZTM Sverdlovsk -formerly Yekaterinburg since reverting (1991) to its original name, where those turrets were manufactured rather a turret exported to (Kirov) Chelyabinsk. According to Zvezda, the unit they have modelled was built there in early '43, which tallies with its "Mickey Mouse" type turret access hatches. "Uralmash" is a contraction of Ural’s’kiy Mashinostroitelnyy Zavod, which is coincidentally the adopted name for the surrounding urban residential area serving the factory.  "Zavod" literally translates as plant.

AFAIK the curved fenders of this kit are accurate for T-34s manufactured in that plant as are the all rubber rimmed road wheels and pattern, although anyone into Soviet armour of that desperate period probably already knows the situation regarding fitting wheels according to availability and swapping between Model 1943s once in the field. Tamiya's venerable far less accurate hexagonal cast turret early/late Model 1943 (35059) offers an either or or mix wheel choice. along with early-mid "Mickey Mouse" or late cupola.

The overall fidelity and quality of the mould is typical new Zvezda, though not arguably over-engineered as some of their outstanding new 1/48 aircraft kits -of which I have most. It's clear Zvezda are both price point and contemporary modeller sensitive/aware. If you've assembled Academy's superb 1:35 Hetzer, that'll give you an idea of the Zvezda T-34 kits' fidelity and pragmatic implementation. It's not contemporary Tamiya or Dragon, but nor is it anywhere near their current price points. And Dragon has of recent years along with simplifying their kits, drastically reduced inclusions regardless of the stratospheric price points for their more recent mould kits now in my country. Usually DS continuous run tracks only included now, no metal barrels and little etch although in fairness to the latter, their slide moulding detail is better than mere excellence rendering the tedious job of applying endless minuscule etch detail largely redundant. Tamiya are a bit more compromising with even their most current kits at a lower price point than Dragon, but similarly if you want the detail it's multiple Tamiya aftermarket pushing the price right up or proprietary aftermarket e.g. Aber, ArtWox etc at additional expense. I like Zvezda's affordable practical approach letting the user decide. 3689's length and link tracks are especially well done IMV, and the provision of a jig in the manner they have, typical Russian practicality. Similarly the grill over the air filters access hatch. Whilst I'd have preferred a small piece of etch as Academy supply in their Hetzer kits, TBH I'm not entirely sure whether that's just conditioning? The piece of synthetic material Zvezda supply does do the job adequately, and will outlast me. Their decals have improved a lot even since the newer initial 1:48 aircraft releases. I also recently bought Zvezda's very recent reboxing of Accurate Miniatures Yak-1b, and the decals in it are superior to those in their La-5 series, Yak-3 or Bf 109F-2 &-4. Instructions are decent in the Tamiya foldout style, with a sprue legend. and the inclusion of a separate glossy colour painting guide with callouts in Zvezda and Tamiya colours a very nice touch. Overall I like Zvezda's approach with their new T-34s, and love their price points. The only aftermarket I have purchased for either Zvezda T-34 so far, are F-34 and ZiS C 53 metal barrels. I've only recently bought the kits, and those barrels and some eye magnet figures notwithstanding, am yet to decide whether to bother to detail them any further than the kit already provides. I think Zvezda are definitely getting up there with Trumpeter. e.g. KV-I. For modellers Zevzda getting into the serious game is great IMV.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 12:48 AM, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Like the typo of text on the turret very much, but don't know what it means actually, but it's the T-34/76 you're building.

No it's not Robert. Easy mistake to make unless you're a T-34/76 aficionado.  Nice pic, but it' s a T-34/76 Model 1943 with cast hexagonal turret not UZTM stamped which are an unmistakably identifiable shape, and although I can't quite make it out in the photo from the angle and body in the loader's top hatch obscuring it, what appears to be the late model cupola behind him indicating it a very late production Model 1943. Other giveaways in conjunction affirming that are the all rubberised road wheels and drum type 90 litre fuel storage tanks.

Join us. You know you want one. 😁

At an educated guess, the "Lidice" name annotaton is probably a patriotic reference to the town where mass reprisals were exacted in response to the murder of SS-Obergruppenführer Heydrich in Czechoslovakia by Czech agents deployed by the Brits. Ilya Ehrenburg would have had propagandised it to the max. Although that incident occurred early in the war, the image is possibly a late war pic with a Czech national crew, as although superseded by the T-34/85 in mass production, large numbers of extant T-34/76s were deployed right up until the end of the war. 

Edited by Bigglesof266
clarification
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2019 at 10:20 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Yes, it’s bald. I’ll try to reproduce the texture with a glue or a sanding sponge soon.

Nikolay (& das Abteliung) the Uralmash model 1943 turret was stamped -with a 10,000 tonne press, not cast. It shouldn't have a rough cast texture any more than you'd see side plate welds on a cast hexagonal Model 1943 turret.

Edited by Bigglesof266
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Robert

It was Nikolay who linked you to the Wikipedia 'history' entry, Had I offered up anything on Lidice outside the relevant significance of it's inscription on the tank, Wikipedia is not a link I'd provide for anything resembling a factually accurate report of historical events. 

If you want a T-34/76 or /85, I can endorse these two recent mould offerings from Zvezda. Similarly to Soviet aircraft types from the period in 1:48, decent recent mould T-34s in 1:35 have been a largely neglected subject for some inexplicable reason a mystery to me?  I couldn't cope with the issues with Academy's T-34/85 releases a few years ago and passed on them as I did Zvezda's 3533 previous mould hailing from 1993. Dragon's 1997 & Cyber-Hobby Orange Box rebox pressings have long been unavailable unless fortunate enough to live in the US where extant examples pop up for resale on eBay at silly prices. So I'm over the moon that Zvezda has provided us with two contemporary class mould examples, and at a very affordable price leaving plenty of meat on the bone to afford aftermarket detail. Hopefully with more variants to come if it sells well. I also have a rather nice (2003 tooled + new parts in 2007) Dragon (6418) T-34/76 Model 1941 with two man cast turret along with the venerable (1975 tooled) Tamiya Model 1943 with cast hexagonal turret which though showing its age and inaccuracy to those in the know, is still a looker on the shelf, and now finally, a T-34/85 in Zvezda 3687. Woohoo! 

• Like 2

On 04/08/2019 at 02:30, Bigglesof266 said:

AFAIK the curved fenders of this kit are accurate for T-34s manufactured in that plant as are the all rubber rimmed road wheels and pattern, although anyone into Soviet armour of that desperate period probably already knows the situation regarding fitting wheels according to availability and swapping between Model 1943s once in the field.

Yes, there are a lot of pictures over the Web with a mixed wheels.

On 04/08/2019 at 02:30, Bigglesof266 said:

Their decals have improved a lot even since the newer initial 1:48 aircraft releases.

And 1:72, too - I have some Hinds in my stash and some later editions have an improved decal sheets with a CLEAR film, not the yellow-ish ones...

On 04/08/2019 at 04:54, Bigglesof266 said:

Nikolay (& das Abteliung) the Uralmash model 1943 turret was stamped -with a 10,000 tonne press, not cast. It shouldn't have a rough cast texture any more than you'd see side plate welds on a cast hexagonal Model 1943 turret.

Thanks, @Bigglesof266! Fortunately, I not going too forward with a sanding and the turret will look good after the painting.

Thank you for your input - a lot of interesting information! 🤝

• Like 1

On 04/08/2019 at 05:22, Bigglesof266 said:

the venerable (1975 tooled) Tamiya Model 1943 with cast hexagonal turret which though showing its age and inaccuracy to those in the know, is still a looker on the shelf,

I have to agree, I took a couple of these "oldies" to a show earlier in the year and interested people could not believe it was the Tamiya kit, and they had been built in the 80s.

• Like 2

Hello, friends! 👋

I’m happy to report that the work goes on and recently I added some details:

48488064261_b9f3339ca3_k.jpg

Now the turret looks finished:

48488066441_ca82930bda_k.jpg

Now it’s time to put the things on an upper hull...

Thanks for looking! 🙂

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I have to agree, I took a couple of these "oldies" to a show earlier in the year and interested people could not believe it was the Tamiya kit, and they had been built in the 80s.

Similarly the Cyber-Hobby Orange Box Series, although Tamiya old moulds are an easier build less likely to present any fit issues. Although Dragon feature more prominently in my collection/ stash, I do have a couple of Orange Box whose scale fidelity is true which scrub up very well in their warpaint as built OOTB.

In particular, with knowledge and a modicum of inexpensive if laborious modification they can be detailed to close to contemporary kit accuracy. e.g. StuG IIIb kit. Mod the shot trap, bolts and hinges, common PzKpfw III hull escape hatch in the lower side hull. 

In both cases, I really like the value adding inclusion of figurines. Tamiya give us three crew figures in their older T-34/76 1943 kit and both early/late types of wheels and turret hatchs/cupola fuel storage tanks alternatives. Not resin sculpted quality, and not Modelkasten state of the art injection moulded, but still decent enough to use. Or the were in mine bought in '82 moulded when the moulds were still relatively new.  Orange box include a complete Dragon figure set. Albeit their older series sets, they are well sculpted and detailed.

Importantly both keep modelling affordable so everyone can afford to participate. A particularly pleasing factor is less annoyance with self when I screw up, which I note increases proportionately with the price paid for a kit, and by probability the more aftermarket etch included.

Edited by Bigglesof266
  • Like 2