Zvezda 1/35 Soviet Medium Tank T-34/76 mod. 1943 Uralmash

Hello, friends! 👋

While the clear coat drying on my Hind E, I decided to start a new - and very unusual for me - build. I choose this kit just because I like the shapes of that tank! Also, my wife asked me to build something not aircraft-related and I got this box during the pre-sale from ARMA-MODELS.RU with some additional features: the brass barrels, brass wire, photo etched set, two paint jars (4BO and Whitewash), antennae, an air horn and the Fido (Sharik).

So, here is the box:

48005979231_4159374147_k.jpg

A lot of the stuff inside:

48006067102_0a2d869524_k.jpg

The Runner A:

48005989808_4cef2f4c9f_k.jpg

The Runner B:

48006068022_a58ba50bed_k.jpg

The Runners C, D and G (ah, I noticed some ejector pin marks on the tracks):

48006068132_fe9f09fd72_k.jpg

The Runner F:

48005980171_334258b251_k.jpg

An instruction sheet, the color call-out and the Runner E with a clear parts along with the decals and wire:

48006067962_7e4b6d270f_k.jpg

And finally, some additional aftermarket upgrades:

48005989743_f77ed26641_k.jpg

I think I need to start from cutting the tracks off the sprues, so that’s all for today! 🐈

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Have to say, that's an impressive set of stuff in that box. I've never build a Zvezda having read in the past in build reviews of issues etc. I will be interested in this one and how it builds........looking forward to following........:yes:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I've never build a Zvezda having read in the past in build reviews of issues etc.

It’s a great kits and I’m very excited with their new releases, especially an aircraft ones.

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I will be interested in this one and how it builds........looking forward to following........:yes:

Me too - I haven’t built any vehicle since the late 90s!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robw_uk said:

Look forward to the build

Thanks, Robert! 🤝 I just finished working on tracks and will post some photos after some additional progress on other parts.

Hello! 👏

Just finished some basic work with the tracks and the tank:

48012845996_ab76df2690_k.jpg

Fortunately, the tracks weren’t needed a lot of work except sanding an ejector pin marks (yes - just sanding and not filling) and removing a little bit of seam lines (very small, I must say).

An empty sprues glued together and now it’s an alignment for the tracks assembly:

48012934092_5da41cd4ec_k.jpg

Wise engineering, isn’t it?

The tracks come together well and the best fit can be achieved after application of an Extra Thin cement (later):

48012859828_5591ac9c14_k.jpg

Thanks for looking! 🐱

• Like 12

@Nikolay Polyakov Hi Nikolay,

great build so far. Good idea to use the sprues for aligning the tracks! The Zvezda kit seems to be a very good and nicely detailed one. I haven't built any Zvezda vehicle, but I recently ordered the new GAZ Tigr M and I am quite curious about the quality.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, flashlight said:

Hi Nikolay,

great build so far.

Hello namesake! 🤝 Thank you!

51 minutes ago, flashlight said:

The Zvezda kit seems to be a very good and nicely detailed one.

Yes, it’s very nice kit and I can say the same about all the recent Zvezda’s kits. The build reminds me Tamiya kits, except the difference in the plastic.

52 minutes ago, flashlight said:

I haven't built any Zvezda vehicle, but I recently ordered the new GAZ Tigr M and I am quite curious about the quality.

I think you’ll be pleased with the quality!

This is one of Zvezda's most recent and very much better kits, along with their new-tool T-34/85, SU-100 and SU-85.  I don't know how it compares with other older T-34/76 kits, all of which have apparently had their faults and flaws.

If I understand correctly, a "1943 Uralmash" variant is the simplified one produced at Uralvagonzavod (I think Uralmash is a more modern name) Zavod 183 in Nizny Tagil - later known widely as Tankograd and at the time the world's largest tank factory - after T-34 production was famously moved East of the Urals during 1942.  Whether this kit is fully variant and factory correct I can't say: I might have expected angular front fenders and at least some of the afore-mentioned steel wheels.

I think the sprue track jig idea is very clever: why not use the waste parts usefully. I would have liked to see a choice of steel wheels too, as T-34/76's were commonly fitted with these or combinations of both types.  One thing I can see, and I've noticed the same in their recent T-34/85 and SU-100 kits in my stash, is that there is no attempt to represent any cast texture except perhaps on the mantlet.  T-34's were notoriously crudely constructed, but the Russians understood that they were a consumable asset with short life: 60,000 or so built during WW2 and 50,000 or so lost.

There's another new-ish Russian company called Microdesign who make etch sets for the later Zvezda and other Eastern kits.  I have their sets for the new T-34/85 and SU-100 kits, and ICM's Ford T, but I don't know if they yet do one for this T-34/76.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

This is one of Zvezda's most recent and very much better kits, along with their new-tool T-34/85, SU-100 and SU-85.

The SU-85 is my favorite, but I doesn’t know anything about its release, so bought the T-34/76.

10 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

If I understand correctly, a "1943 Uralmash" variant is the simplified one produced at Uralvagonzavod (I think Uralmash is a more modern name) Zavod 183 in Nizny Tagil - later known widely as Tankograd and at the time the world's largest tank factory - after T-34 production was famously moved East of the Urals during 1942.

«UZTM» factory placed in Ekaterinburg, and the «Uralmash» is a (Ekaterinburg) city district named after (or before) that.

11 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Whether this kit is fully variant and factory correct I can't say: I might have expected angular front fenders and at least some of the afore-mentioned steel wheels.

Thanks and sorry - I don’t know about that yet, because it’s my first tank for years.

I think the sprue track jig idea is very clever: why not use the waste parts usefully. I would have liked to see a choice of steel wheels too, as T-34/76's were commonly fitted with these or combinations of both types.

I think it’s a lot of metal and resin aftermarket, suitable for the kit. But I like the rubber wheels!

One thing I can see, and I've noticed the same in their recent T-34/85 and SU-100 kits in my stash, is that there is no attempt to represent any cast texture except perhaps on the mantlet.

Yes, it’s bald. I’ll try to reproduce the texture with a glue or a sanding sponge soon.

There's another new-ish Russian company called Microdesign who make etch sets for the later Zvezda and other Eastern kits.  I have their sets for the new T-34/85 and SU-100 kits, and ICM's Ford T, but I don't know if they yet do one for this T-34/76.

I like Microdesign’s etch, too! It has a very nice quality for the small money and yes, it’s a «true» etch - not a laser-made.

I checked their site and it’s available now: https://microdisign.ru/products/btt/t-34-76-uztm-zvezdahttps://microdisign.ru/products/btt/t-34-76-nadgusenichnye-polki-zvezda.

And there’s the video with a T-34/76 build with a solution for making the cast texture:

Thank you! 🤝

• Like 3

Hello, tank lovers! 👋

I performed some sanding and glueing work and decided to show you the progress on this stage:

48030561858_b3c775e4a4_k.jpg

Next will be the etched parts... Thanks for looking! 🐈

• Like 4

It’s time for a small update...

I glued a few PE parts on an upper hull - a very small but nice addition:

48036310892_f59fca7ca3_k.jpg

The net wasn’t looking so nice, so I decided to rumple it a bit; now it looks more natural:

48036249458_d6991fd329_k.jpg

The turret received it’s small details (not all, yet):

48036310757_eb7143d66c_k.jpg

Further were the torsion bars, not a lot but why not to glue them now?

Not bad, but still needs some treatment:

48036206341_2752ba75d0_k.jpg

That’s all for now! 👏

• Like 12

1 minute ago, The Spadgent said:

That’s a great looking kit, you’re doing well so far.

Yes, it’s a lovely kit! 👍

2 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I’ll tag along if you don’t mind. 😇

Sure thing! 🍻

• Like 1

Hello Nikolay.

Kit looks absolutely gorgeous. Zvezda has done a great job on this one. This kit will be out my scope, but I just ordered another Mercedes L4500A kit from them.

One of the best kits I ever build.

Your build of the T-34/76 is nice to follow along, very clear and good detail shown.

Enjoy and keep them coming.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Your build of the T-34/76 is nice to follow along, very clear and good detail shown.

Enjoy and keep them coming.

Hello Robert, thank you for this kind of words! It’s a very enjoyable build! 👍

2 hours ago, JeroenS said:

This looks like a great kit and you seem to be doing just fine. I'll follow along too.

Thanks, Jeroen! 🤝 I hope you’ll like my build!

1 hour ago, flashlight said:

Hi Nikolay,

nice build so far!

Hi Nick, thank you! It’s a very straightforward, I must say. :smile:

1 hour ago, flashlight said:

Still waiting for my Zvezda Tigr, I hope that it will arrive soon!

I hope we’re looking at your build here, soon!

4 hours ago, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Like the typo of text on the turret very much,

Thanks, Robert! The font looks unusual for its time.

but don't know what it means actually,

This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidice. It’s a very sad story.

but it's the T-34/76 you're building.

Yes, it’s very nice to see the real in-action photo - not the museum shots.

Thank you! :like:

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov