Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR2 - 74SQN

A recent build over the past few months.

Built OOB and using a mix of kit and aftermarket decals.

I saw the last few months of these FGR2's  flying from Wattisham in 1991-92. Awesome machine!

IMG_20190527_192902

IMG_20190527_193014

IMG_20190527_193037

IMG_20190527_192944

Thanks for looking.

• Like 30

3 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

A real beauty,finish is exceptional.

Thanks Steve.

I took my time on this, having never made a Phantom in this scale before. Sprayed with rattle-cans only! There are four shades of grey on this but the photos don't show up the differences on the inner/outer wings that well.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, David A Collins said:

Thanks Steve.

I took my time on this, having never made a Phantom in this scale before. Sprayed with rattle-cans only! There are four shades of grey on this but the photos don't show up the differences on the inner/outer wings that well.

Don’t knock it!  The greys were supposed to be low-contrast to give the most effective camouflage and yours look pretty good.

2 hours ago, Matt P said:

Excellent Phantom! Does the Revell kit come with crew figures or are they extras?

The Revell kit does include crew figures but they’re in U S Navy flying gear (appropriate for an F-4J(UK) but not an FGR. 2) but I won’t tell if you don’t.😉

• Like 1

Just brought this kit and looking forward to it, I sat in one at Wattisham on an open day, many moons ago.

You've done a great job with the kit.

How was it to build, any minefields to be wary of?

Darren

• Like 1

22 hours ago, David A Collins said:

Thanks Steve.

Don't worry, as discussed on here previously, the fuselage/wing colour changes did not show up in real life very much either, I think at least four of us on here who had worked with Phantoms said we had not noticed any difference in shade in real life. 

Lovely model though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stever219 said:

Don’t knock it!  The greys were supposed to be low-contrast to give the most effective camouflage and yours look pretty good.

The Revell kit does include crew figures but they’re in U S Navy flying gear (appropriate for an F-4J(UK) but not an FGR. 2) but I won’t tell if you don’t.😉

I think there are several parts that could be changed to make it a 100% accurate FGR2.... Wheels, for starters. 😀

The 74sqn decals are from an Xtradecal set. The kit roundels and fin flash are a better match to the original in my opinion, than those in the Xtradecal set.

And things to watch out for in the build are, making sure everything lines up before glueing. I didn't use any filler on this kit. The trickiest part was aligning the intakes. It is just possible to avoid using filler here.

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 2

I’ve invested in some Alley Cat resin intakes for these and my Academy F-4J(UK) and they’ll make a significant improvement over the kit parts.  They will also, however, require some jiggery pokering and superglue for a really good fit, especially those for the Academy kit.

Edited by stever219
%$$##%£¥€₩ auto- #$%₩¥£€^%$$ incorrect again!!!!!°
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, 29Triplex said:

:ditto:  to what Phone Phixer wrote; The Greys look just right :thumbsup2:

Terrific Job! :goodjob:

Please enlighten us as to which colours?/what make Rattle Can you used?

Hi 29Triplex,

Humbrol primer grey - upper inner wings.

Tamiya primer light grey - undersides.

Humbrol 64 grey - uppersides including a mist coat over the inner wings and radome.

All covered after decals with a humbrol acrylic Matt varnish.

• Thanks 1