New tool Airfix 1/48 Spitfire FRXIV

Nice work David, and quick.

I started mine this afternoon and it looks like a very nice kit. My only complaint so far is the size of some of the sprue attachments on sprue d which for those not in the know is the sprue with all the small parts. 

Look forward to more progress 

James

• Like 2

1 minute ago, franky boy said:

Nice work David, and quick.

I started mine this afternoon and it looks like a very nice kit. My only complaint so far is the size of some of the sprue attachments on sprue d which for those not in the know is the sprue with all the small parts. 

Look forward to more progress 

James

Yes, fair point regarding the sprue attachments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

That's a very nice finish. Can you tell us what paint you're using please?

John

Hi John,

Nothing special I'm afraid. Just rattle cans. The acrylic grey primer was Humbrol, and the top coat a few mist coats of Humbrol Silver 11. Spinner and props are Humbrol Matt Black.

• Thanks 1

Nice work again David. 

How is the fit of the cowling over the instrument panel? I hope it's better than in their mk V kit.

James

Yowzah! Not my scale, but very happy for you 1/48 modelers- it looks like you've finally got a very accurate Mk XIV! Wonder if Airfix will follow up with a highback at some point? Looks like a Mk XVIIIe would be an easy conversion- bet one of the aftermarket outfits (Can you say Freight---?) is tooling up the fin and rudder with the 'z' trim tab as we speak! What you have done so far looks great, BTW- can't wait to see the RFI  photos...next to the XII, the XIV/XVIII are the prettiest of the lot, in my biased opinion!

Mike

IMG_20190607_222338

IMG_20190607_222421

IMG_20190607_222445

Once I make the serial it will be marked as SM927.

14-SM927-01-800x Dick photographed this Spitfire around 1950 at an airshow in Europe.  It was not preserved.

Later in its life, but still retaining the C-type roundels under the wings. Note the cockpit-green section of fuselage under the canopy.

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 12

On 6/6/2019 at 3:28 PM, 72modeler said:

Yowzah! Not my scale, but very happy for you 1/48 modelers- it looks like you've finally got a very accurate Mk XIV! Wonder if Airfix will follow up with a highback at some point? Looks like a Mk XVIIIe would be an easy conversion- bet one of the aftermarket outfits (Can you say Freight---?) is tooling up the fin and rudder with the 'z' trim tab as we speak! What you have done so far looks great, BTW- can't wait to see the RFI  photos...next to the XII, the XIV/XVIII are the prettiest of the lot, in my biased opinion!

Mike

I have had one bought for me as a Father's Day present by my daughter and her beau,(one isn't sure whether they're gearing one up for retirement!!),

but looking at it through the bag,it does appear to have the larger rudder with the "Z" trim tab already in it and looking at the instructions,

one is to use it on the post-war all silver II(AC)Squadron option as our friend above has built.

Didn't the XVIII have slightly different wing access panels due to it being a true"tropical"version?

1 hour ago, DaveWilko said:

I have had one bought for me as a Father's Day present by my daughter and her beau,(one isn't sure whether they're gearing one up for retirement!!),

but looking at it through the bag,it does appear to have the larger rudder with the "Z" trim tab already in it and looking at the instructions,

one is to use it on the post-war all silver II(AC)Squadron option as our friend above has built.

Didn't the XVIII have slightly different wing access panels due to it being a true"tropical"version?

Yes- Z-tab on the rudder and new panels to house tropical emergency equipment where the outer gun bays used to be on a C wing., IIRC. See a good topic discussion on this very subject with photos, text, and drawings related to the XVIII, which next to the XII, is the nastiest-looking Griffon Spit, in my humble opinion! There was also very good discussion on the early/late XIV/XVIII fin and rudder with photos and text. @Troy Smith and @Graham Boak would be your go-to guys on that, as well as @John Aero

Mike

On 06/06/2019 at 09:28, franky boy said:

How is the fit of the cowling over the instrument panel? I hope it's better than in their mk V kit.

the tank  fits fine, as long as you make sure everything lines up and the mould lines are scraped off, the kit design means it is possible to not realise this is a problem until it is a problem though, as several builds here have shown

1 hour ago, DaveWilko said:

Didn't the XVIII have slightly different wing access panels due to it being a true"tropical"version?

yes, this should show you what is different

• Like 3

Just as an anecdote, i built the Falcon Vacformed Mk 18 in the late 20th century. It was rather simplified in detail but i managed to dress it up with parts robbed from the Otaki Mk VIII and an aftermarket propeller made by an obscure company called CooperDetails.

For its time, it fit very well. I always liked the Mk 18 more than the XIV. I think the broader rudder made it look better.

-d-

On 6/6/2019 at 3:28 PM, 72modeler said:

...next to the XII, the XIV/XVIII are the prettiest of the lot, in my biased opinion...

Yes, though you forgot the Seafire 46....  sex on wings.

Stunning build, David!

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yes, though you forgot the Seafire 46....  sex on wings.

Stunning build, David!

OK, I'll give you that one, and the Seafire XV and  17! 

Mike

• Haha 1