Macchi Castoldi M.33: Schneider Trophy Cup: empennage

1 minute ago, Moa said:

You are aware I suppose of the Noix 1/48 rendition?

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=58045.0;

No, Moa, new to me.  I’ll look that one up.

Dennis

6 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Price...ouch

Stuart

Yes, there is that.  Apparently no problem shifting them, however.  All sold out. 

Dennis

There's an East European outfit working on some Supermarine racers. Put a message out for drawings and information, and I sent a scan of my 1.24 MAP drawings of the S5. 

Gratefully received, but I haven't heard anything progress - wise. 

Maybe one day....! 

Although it'll probably be the blasted S6 that comes through. 

Surely they can beat $99.99 for goodness sake. What are those guys making them out of? Gold?? 

By the way, I've got a red Italian racer on the bench at the moment.... 😎

7 hours ago, Moa said:

It's good to exercise some scratching too.

Yes, and it’s hard to beat the price of a couple of sheets of styrene.  The time element is costly, however.

Dennis

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

What are those guys making them out of? Gold?? 

Could be the etched brass is not brass at all but gold.

I've got a red Italian racer on the bench at the moment.... 😎

Airplane or car?

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, DMC said:

Airplane or car?

HA..... You got me there, Dennis!! 

It's that little Alfa Romeo 159 as driven by Farina and Fangio in '50 & '51.

Seems like the tooling dates all the way back to Merit, which means that the kit is almost contemporary with the car!! 

Good fun, but a terrible distraction from what I'm supposed to be making 

Well, seeing that it's red, it's Italian, and it's a great racing machine, I'll take the liberty of pasting a link here. 

And sorry for the intrusion, Dennis. 

But, I mean, it's Fangio... 🏆💐😇💐

• Like 1

sorry for the intrusion, Dennis. 

Never a problem, Rob. Fact is, I remember Fangio — it wasn’t all about airplanes— from the 50s.  There was a magazine I used to buy, Sports Cars Illustrated, and he often featured in it.  

I’d have one of those Alfa kits.

Dennis 

• 4 weeks later...

A little more work done on the empennage of the Macchi M.33.  Rudder and elevator made using H Woodman’s balsa styrene sandwich method.   

I’ll try @Putty Animal‘s tape and primer technique for the rib tapes

I totally screwed up the wing.  Made it up in three sections but had a difficult time matching up the blunt ends.  It was also too thick.  I’m making another in one piece and will make the cuts for the dihedral after sheathing the balsa with styrene.  The cut ends should match up easily.

resized_405db1c2-ff9f-4d43-9fdd-8af02fab

resized_5a500753-d23c-41c4-9c52-2c9f4079

Thanks for looking 

Dennis

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

What is the lowdown on sticking poly to Balsa

Hi Rob,

The poly isn’t actually stuck to the balsa.  First, the balsa is shaped to the, say, rudder but slightly undersized.  This, core, is then  given a generous coating of liquid cement.  This hardens the balsa.  Strips of thin double sided tape are applied to both sides of the ‘rudder’.  The rudder is then stuck to an oversized piece of styrene, usually .010.  The styrene is trimmed around the outline of the rudder but larger than the final desired shape.  Styrene is stuck to the other side, trimmed to match the first piece and then cement is applied, sparingly, around the edges.  Easy to mess up here.  The rudder is then finished to the desired shape.  Takes a bit of practice but it’s really not that difficult.

Hope my explanation makes sense.  Later, I’ll past a picture from Woodmans book.  You’ll understand right away

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Afraid I haven't seen the Woodman book. 

I should say THE Woodman book. 

What is the lowdown on sticking poly to Balsa? 

Looks like a useful method! 

Rob,

THE Woodman book is available on line in various spots though I can't vouch for the safety of such sites.  https://rclibrary.co.uk/title_details.asp?ID=1216

From memory his method was double sided tape to join balsa core to plasticard sheathing as most other glues would affect the plastic long-term.  I'm sure double-sided tape is even better nowadays than mid-70s version.

To be honest there's usually plenty of proper copies of his book floating around on eBay, Amazon or Abebooks.  I got a virtually new copy from one of these for just a couple of quid.  Well worth a read, even if you don't ever scratchbuild there's lots of old school detailing tips. I'll try to remember to bring it to a Romsey meeting, won't be next week as I'll still be in the sun in Cornwall.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

What is the lowdown on sticking poly to Balsa?

More on this on wings, Rob.  Have a look on my M.39 thread, page 4 #79 and #80. 

Dennis 

• Thanks 1

Afaik the woodsman book is now public domain and PDFs are readily available without going anywhere too dodgy. On the inter web. IMHO it’s still pretty much the bible for scratchbuilding. 

the macchi is looking wonderful, so far.

$99 for a kit ouch, i think the most I’ve (ever) paid is €30 for a1/48 Sopwith dolphin and I still feel a bit woozy about that (it was only last week) especially as I enjoy the whole scratchbuilding thing.

Btw my horse actually came together surprisingly well once trimmed I was able to just butt join the pieces. I think it was because of the small size and the fact that I used 1mm styrene.

Edited by Marklo

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Afaik the woodsman book is now public domain

Hi, Marklo, yes,

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

IMHO it’s still pretty much the bible for scratchbuilding

I believe that to be true, also.

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

$99 for a kit

A bit rich for me too. Moa must have deep pockets. 😄 Don’t think I ever paid more than £25 for a kit.  Wish them well, however. Can’t imagine they sell very many.  

I’m going back to have another look at the Horsa.  1/144 is pretty small.

Dennis

56 minutes ago, DMC said:

Hi, Marklo, yes,

I believe that to be true, also.

A bit rich for me too. Moa must have deep pockets. 😄 Don’t think I ever paid more than £25 for a kit.  Wish them well, however. Can’t imagine they sell very many.  

I’m going back to have another look at the Horsa.  1/144 is pretty small.

Dennis

Nope, i don't build in 1/48 (vade retro!) 

nor i will buy a kit that expensive (for me). 

27 minutes ago, Moa said:

vade retro!)

Oh no, don’t tell me 1/48 is the Devil’s scale.  

Edited by DMC
Missed a word
  • Haha 1

Just catching up on this - what a beautiful design - it just oozes speed! The tail surfaces look fine to me but I use thicker card and sand and scrape to shape - much easier than all that fussing with wood and plastic.

P

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

the woodsman book is now public domain and PDFs are readily available without going anywhere too dodgy.

That's quite cool. 

Look at ME everyone..... 

I'm sitting here reading the darn thing!!! 

Thanks for that push into the unknown 

🤓