Alize ship killer ++FINISHED++

CliffB

My BO105 tank buster is now ready for painting, so I think that there's still time for me to tackle a 'ship killer'.

The Breguet Alize entered service with the Aeronavale Francaise in 1959, as a carrier-borne anti-submarine aircraft.  It continued to be used until 2000 (when it's carrier, the Foch, was retired). 

In 1999 it operated as part of the NATO force over Kosovo.

I have two versions of the Heller 1/100 scale kit in my stash.

P1100699.JPG

The kit was originally released in the early 60s (as part of the Heller 'Cadet' series), but my two date from 1978 and 1999 respectively.  The earlier release shows the Alize in it's original scheme, whereas the later boxing features an aircraft from 1992.

As well as having different decals, the 1999 boxing also includes updated parts, the most significant of which is a new canopy.  The original version (the lower one in the photo), has some ugly location lugs moulded into it and thankfully these have been removed (and some subtle framing detail added), in the new version.

P1100702.JPG

I've decided to use the newer kit parts, but finish the model in the early scheme.  This is mainly because the original aircraft carried under-wing armament (rockets or wire-guided missiles), but I think that by the 1990s this facility had been discarded.  At least, I haven't seen any photos showing its use.

The kit provides six rockets and it would be good to use these to make it visually obvious that the aircraft is indeed a 'killer'! 

In reality, Alizes also had an internal weapons bay that could house a homing torpedo or depth charges.

The other noticable feature of the Alize was its radar, the antenna of which was mounted inside a retractable, under-belly radome.

P1100701.JPG

Heller have moulded this in the extended position, meaning that you can't display the model on its undercarriage without some surgery.  The alternative is display the model 'in flight' (although no stand is provided), which is what I'm going to do.

As you can see, there are very few parts (particularly if you don't use the undercarriage), so hopefully this should be a quick build :)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 5

can't keep you away by the looks of it!!! :D   what an interesting model and something a wee bit newer than the Hampden! It's definitely VERY French in it's design that's for sure.

You'd best do a nice mould of the new canopy to replace that older one.

Good luck with this build, another of the Cliff specials to follow.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rich.

I thought about moulding another canopy, but have decided instead to sell the 'old' kit on eBay and buy another 'new' one (which are easy to find).  I might even make a small profit!

Last night was a club night, so I took the Alize along as something to fiddle with.

Most of the parts actually go together really well.

P1100703.JPG

But the u/c doors are obviously not intended to be closed :winkgrin:

P1100704.JPG

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

those doors are a bit small!! Probably made on a Friday afternoon!

Too true!

All better now though :)

P1100729.JPG

Unfortunately, the updated canopy turned out to be much too big.  Much sanding and cursing later, it sort of fits OK....

P1100730.JPG

I was pleased however, to find an original Heller Cadet stand in my stash :coolio:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

18 hours ago, CliffB said:

" Clifford continues to make steady progress, but is too easily distracted"

Same now as it ever was Cliff? :D  The Alize is looking good regardless :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Notwithstanding distractions, the Alize is now finished :)

P1100749.jpg

I'll post more photos in the Gallery shortly.

My usual thanks to all involved in the GB, especially  Rich and Col. :cheers:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4