Douglas SBD-3 1/72 Hasegawa

Hi fellow modellers,

this is my recent attempt at the rather old and not very accurate Hasegawa kit, which needed quite some work and aftermarkets to get the best of it; like Part,  Eduard or Rob Taurus to name the few.

Cheers

Libor

48001544728_c63027c17d_b.jpg

48001544693_c07c68c5d7_b.jpg

48001542316_188153b562_b.jpg

• Like 52

Inspirational as usual Libor-- and yes I do have your book!  I'd love to see work-in-progress photos and writeup regarding your chosen aftermarket upgrades.  

At long last I've managed to accumulate three Hasegawa SBDs to work on, but I really wish someone (Eduard?) would issue an up-to-date tooling.

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work, Libor, as we've come to expect. You've made the old Hasegawa kit shine! How about a Northrop BT-1 to go with it? And I too have your book - autographed!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

Nice clean model and a stunning paint job.  One thing I would mention is that the center section of the flaps (the moveable part) should be silver or BMF on the inside portion.  Only the outer flaps were painted red.

Ed

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Inspirational as usual Libor-- and yes I do have your book!  I'd love to see work-in-progress photos and writeup regarding your chosen aftermarket upgrades. 

Thanks Jackson, the WIP will be included in a book that is going to be announce soon.

12 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Beautiful work, Libor, as we've come to expect. You've made the old Hasegawa kit shine! How about a Northrop BT-1 to go with it? And I too have your book - autographed!    :)

Maybe, got it in the stash somewhere. But don't want to see any etched flaps for a while:-)

7 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Nice clean model and a stunning paint job.  One thing I would mention is that the center section of the flaps (the moveable part) should be silver or BMF on the inside portion.  Only the outer flaps were painted red.

Thanks Ed. I saw quite a few colour WWII pictures and haven't noticed that, but I don't say it was not possible:-)

Cheers

Libor

Edited by Redboost
spelling

Great build - the faded blue-grey with the subtle zinc chromate looking through is excellent. Wonderful detail work in 1/72, too!

I saw pictures with the bombs painted in light grey like the underside, but I guess the Navy also had olive drab ones...

• Thanks 1

Hi Libor. You really have turned that old kit into a masterpiece. Especially like the surface finish and the very delicate weathering. Tell me, does the old Hasegawa kit have engraved panel lines?

Terry

• Thanks 1

Terry: the Hasegawa kit has nice scribed panel lines, good fit and shape.  Rivet detail must be added by the modeler if desired.  The cockpit is weak, especially the gunner's position, the canopy can't be posed open OOTB, and the flaps are molded shut but can't easily be drilled out since they don't line up top to bottom.  That said, it is by far the best SBD in 1/72, so of course Hasegawa hasn't issued any in years--expect to pay collector prices for any specimens you encounter.  

Libor: I'm excited for your new book.  The last one was very helpful in my return to model aircraft (despite the unfortunate HGW rivet decals over Mr. Surfacer debacle).  I refer to it often.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Ed

Quite correct. The regulation to paint the inside of the dive brakes Insignia Red was introduced in 1940 and was restricted to the outer portions only, the centre flap remaining the underside colour.  This was to signal that the lead aircraft was

commencing its attack and the rest of the squadron was to follow.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Terry: the Hasegawa kit has nice scribed panel lines, good fit and shape.  Rivet detail must be added by the modeler if desired.  The cockpit is weak, especially the gunner's position, the canopy can't be posed open OOTB, and the flaps are molded shut but can't easily be drilled out since they don't line up top to bottom.  That said, it is by far the best SBD in 1/72, so of course Hasegawa hasn't issued any in years--expect to pay collector prices for any specimens you encounter.  

Thanks for that. I might look out for one, or better still get one sent direct from a colleague who lives in Japan!

Terry

To Jackson: this one is just a contribution to a thematic book. Anyway, more modelling-related stuff is under preparation and should became available at Telford show this year.

Cheers

Libor

The kit might not have been that great but you would never know from looking at your model. That's brilliant. Well done. It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a decent kit for this plane at this scale. Seeing yours makes me want to have a crack regardless... The after market really does bring it to a new level. Amazing work.  

• Thanks 1

Super build and even more the paint job which is the more difficult part.

But why did you say 'not very accurate' what's wrong with it, i must admit I've never checked closer, it only seems the cowling has the tapering curve not correct when seen from the side

• Thanks 1

Really nice SBD!!

Can't imagine a better rendition in this scale. 🤔

I have the Hasegawa kit (a two-kits-in-one-box job) but never noted any accuracy issues (out of ignorance).

Still the best for the scale, though, I daresay.

Brilliant build!

:clap::clap:

• Thanks 1