A carpenter, windor installer and cabinet maker walk into a bar.....

Stalker6Recon

So what do you get when a carpenter, window installer and cabinet maker walk into a bar? You get a VERY POOR man's PE bending tool!

Since returning to modeling this year, I began to learn how much the craft has changed since I last built a model in the late 80's. One big new player is photo etched parts. Today, I would bet that 90% of all aircraft kits come with some amount of PE as part of the kit. This probably rises to nearly 100% for other areas, like ships and armor, so having at least basic skills and tools are required to finish OOB builds. This realization lead me to the tools required for PE work. Actually, I found the "small shop" bending tool on ebay, before I knew what it was. What I did see, was a beautiful looking piece of CNC machined block aluminum with all these weird shapes. So I sort of learned backwards, sort of a life story really. Anyway, I also got excited when I decided to return to modeling and ordered a set of PE seats for my F-18F models, not really knowing what I was getting myself into. Once they arrived, even in 48th scale, my heart sunk, these are very complex, like micro metal origami!

Anyway, I am not rich by any means, and saving money these days is hard to do. But, with a little bit of creative thinking (isn't that the point of modeling?) and less than ten dollars, you too can have a bending tool that is admired the world over! OK, admired by you and maybe your cat. I was unable to afford the small shop bender, even the trumpeter bending tool is almost out of reach, but once I figure shipping into the mix, things always end up much more expensive than my budget allows.

So what does a poor man do? He finds a way. I found a PE bending tool by Alexen tools, but it is not much more than a thin flexible plate with lots of shapes, but not very useful on its own, to bendy, pun absolutely intended. So starting with that tool, I went out and found the rest of my supplies. One aluminum window frame scrap piece and four drawer handles/pulls with long bolts.

I drilled four holes through the tool and the aluminum frame. Then I made the top holes larger to allow the Alexen tool to lay flush with the aluminum frame, making the seal required for proper bending. That is pretty much it. I am planning to add wood to the inside of the aluminum frame for weight and stability, plus adding a rubber bottom for provide a non-slip tool, always a must.

So if you are like me, and you prefer to put money into kits over tools, this is something you too can achieve with less than $10,  or for my British friends, less than 10£. Do be very careful if you have no proper tools to make this on your own. I don't have a proper cut-off metal saw, so I hand cut the aluminum. I also don't have a drill press, these two tools will make for a perfect tool quickly and safely. If you have to use hand tools, do so with grest care, there are lots of sharp edges created in this endeavor.

Making a poor man's PE bending tool. Making a poor man's PE bending tool. Making a poor man's PE bending tool.

Making a poor man's PE bending tool.

So now I don't have to fear PE anymore, I have a very functional tool that will come in handy for years to come. One thing I learned very fast as well, I am very surprised at the method people use to bend PE. Most people bind the PE into their tool, then running a razor under the edge and pushing the part upwards, I already have a new, improved method.

I take the part to be bent and place it on a piece of clear tape with a long tail. Then I put the part into the bender and lock it down. Then I only have to take the clear tape and pull it upwards, this method has several advantages. First, you don't have to worry about the blade doing damage to the PE, especially those already painted (like instrument panels) and second, you don't have to worry about slicing off a finger.

I hope you like my "poor man's PE bender", it is the first of many cheats I am working on.

Anthony

PS. Another cheat happened by accident yesterday. While buying cat food for all our rescued kitties, I found a scratching post for around $5,  or £3.  This is another poor man's cheat. The scratching post is EXACTLY the same as many paint products we buy, for holding small parts. Now I have a nice big parts holder for painting via skewer sticks and alligator clips. Here is the new toy.

IMG_20190604_190735

Edited by Stalker6Recon
Spell check
  • Like 4

Well done. I like to see people using ideas and skills rather than just splashing the cash.

I've also done a few things in the past:

33 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Well done

Thank you. Actually, I read your thread a few months back, it is what inspired me to look at things using my experience doing carpentry work, to come up with ideas how to save money, but more importantly, make truly functional tools in the process. Your corrugated steel maker is absolutely a work of art, it does a phenomenal job. The scary part, if you sold scale sheets, you could EASILY get 7£ per sheet in A5 size, all from a simple idea turned solution. The number of people that need this for roofing in dioramas, could probably pay for a degree Oxford!

I love that thread, I am not sure if my repurpose is worthy though. Even your circle cutter is clever, I just don't know when I would need perfect circles. But when I do, I will remember what you did there.

The greatest idea you turned tool, the paint swatches. Like you, I can stand trying to figure out which Tamiya color is FS***** such and such, or RAF ******, having a nice swatch with the color number and it's relative FS/RAF number in plain English is genius. My favorite part, the half/half smoke, what a wise idea.

I am lucky, I only have about 20 colors of paint as of now, so when I start spraying, I plan to make a similar swatch as yours, so very much thank you for that.

Anthony

1 hour ago, Stalker6Recon said:

I just don't know when I would need perfect circles.

Mine mainly gets used for cutting Masking tape for masking wheels.

1 hour ago, Stalker6Recon said:

I am lucky, I only have about 20 colors of paint as of now, so when I start spraying, I plan to make a similar swatch as yours, so very much thank you for that.

I sprayed all the colours on mine, because I thought it may make a difference to the shade compared to brushing, but it was quite a long, not particularly pleasant task. When I compared spraying and brushing later there didn't seem to be any difference, so I'd recommend you brush paint your swatches, it'll save a lot of time. Also, as they seem to get quite a lot of use, put a matt varnish on them to finish off.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gorby said:

matt varnish on them to finish off. 

All excellent information, wheels is something that every vehicle has in common, well almost every vehicle. Wheel masks are definitely required for spraying, and since I am not there yet, I didn't consider it. Thanks, I want to be ahead of the curve so to speak, I will look into turning my compass/protractor, always forget what it's called, the little pointy thing with a pencil, into a cutter. I have some F-15C wheel that will need painting pretty soon hopefully. As for the paint swatches, even better, I can make the entire swatch in about an hour, since I am only just starting out.

As far as matte varnishes, finding that in the Philippines is very difficult, and when found, it is extremely expensive. I am hoping to either find automotive matte/flat that I can use, or even using flat clear nail polish, extremely thinned out and sprayed, that stuff is everywhere and about a dollar per short ton!

Wish me luck!

Anthony

• Like 1