Meteor prototype upper-color question?

Gary Brantley

Hello Graham,

Thank you for pointing out the marking colours and their relations. I was looking the same picture and thinking about the contrasts between the camouflage colours remembering much lower contrasts from earlier WW2 photos from for example BoB. So your observations confirms clearly this issue, Thank you!

Greetings,

AaCee

I think I'd go with indicates rather than confirms - many of the low-contrast photos were taken on ortho film, which has the described effect, but may also result in the blue looking lighter.  It can also make the yellow look black, which clearly isn't the case here.  The final effect depends upon other factors such as the filter used, which is an unknown.  So it's an indication, possibly a strong indication, but not convincingly absolute.  There remains some doubt about just how early that photo is - there seems to be little doubt that the aircraft had Day Fighter colours later in its existence.  But how much later?  And how did the other details change?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 12:04 PM, Selwyn said:

I dont know if it is true but I have heard that it is quoted in some references that in the cold war Russian aircraft were camoflaged with paint to BS381c!

😁😁

No wonder, everyone knows that Nicholas II (1868-1918)
 All-Russian Emperor, Tsar of Poland and Grand Duke of Finland, the last emperor of the Russian Empire.  From the British monarchs he had the rank of Admiral of the British Navy and Field Marshal of the British Army.  Nicholas II was married to the granddaughter of the British Queen Victoria Alice of Hesse, who received the name Alexandra Feodorovna during the transition to Orthodoxy, therefore, all Russian paints were made in the UK at Buckingham Palace! 😉😁

In fact, one banned on Britmodeller user wrote on BM that Russian planes are painted with

BS381c standard paints.

In Russia this statement causes nothing but laughter.

B.R.

Serge