HMS King George V 1/350 (Tamiya) - Newbie Questions

• 5 months later...

Can anyone tell me what this tape is in the photo below, I presume it's some type of double sided masking tape?? (not my photo) but I have a feeling i will need some of this when I want to air brush my PE parts??? 

Can anyone help? Thanks.

spacer.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stumble Bum said:

Anyone know what tape this is called? ^

Hi from the photo above it does look like double sided is being used for this application

but there are other methods that can be used and quite cheap to do I used various types of clamps, tapes and blu tack

From my photo below you can see the clamps I use and also the blu tack for the ships boats and I use various bits of wood sticks to apply the double sided tape or normal tamiya masking tape wrapped around with the sticky side out to hold the parts

I also paint parts on the PE fret such as rails and just touch in when they have been attached to the ship.

Hope this is of some help to your build

beefy

spacer.png

• Like 4

Hi Stumble Bum

I find actual double sided tape too sticky.  I use ordinary B&Q masking tap doubled back on itseld so it's sticky side up and tack any loose edges down with Tamiya tape.

It holds parts but is low tack and most imprtantly none of the "glue" gets attached to parts.

Like this...

DSCF8883

Hope that helps

Rob

• Like 5

Thanks for the replies both, much appreciated. I'll probably stick to a combination of masking tape doubled back on itself and airbrushing some parts on the fret itself.

After 6 months of having zero time to get into this hobby I'm back making progress. I added in the ships deck and then followed it up with some wooden decking as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

IMG-20200101-150712-2.jpg

IMG-20200101-150733-2.jpg

It's starting to take shape now, I think my next step is to attach all of the PE parts I have to their respective modules and go from there. I had a quick go at some PE the other night.... my word that stuff is fiddly and easy to mess up with. This will take some practice.

• Like 4